Guest viewing is limited

bone touching bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My right leg hurt from my knee up to my thigh in the front and over the top of my right hip. Its hard to get pain pills in florida . I only have gaberpentin and muscle relaxers. pain will give you depression if you let it.
 
Have you tried swimming? I am still pre op, getting both knees replaced next year, separately. My OS also wanted me to lose weight. He wanted me to be below 300. At the time I was 400. I have been in pain for years and have discovered swimming was something I could do. I am now 237 pounds, have lost over 160 pounds. My knees feel 100% better but of course I still need replacements. Swimming saved me and now that I've lost and feel better I am working in the gym on the upper body weight machines. My goal is to be below 200 when I start my TKR. Best of luck to you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
no I never tried swimming. Are you on a special diet. You have lost a lot of weight. I will see what my Doctor say Monday. I am on blood thinner and there is a lot of things I cant do especially contact sports. I love walking and I used to walk 2 miles a day. But now only 100 yards, and I hurt like something mad:bawl:
 
I had gastric bypass in Feb of this year. I eat a low fat low sugar low carb diet and drink only water and 1% milk, I stay away from carbonation. Gastric bypass has been a life saver for me, before that I couldn't walk from my bedroom to the living room without a lot of pain. Much less try it for exercise. So, I understand what you are talking about. But swimming was something I have always been able to do. It takes the pressure off of your joints and allows you to exercise without all that awful pain. I tried everything to lose weight and I was so addicted to food I just couldn't handle it by myself. So I had gastric bypass. Now, I have more energy, and have lost enough weight that I can start on my knees. I have most of my life back now, and it all started 10 months ago when I had my WLS. Now hopefully after my knee replacements everything will come to full circle.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh oK I know 160 is a lot to lose on a regular diet. I hope that I can lose at least 30 lbs. I will see Monday what will happen.I got to learn how to eat right and lay off the twinkes :snork:
 
well I saw my doctor today and I got to get my bmi down to 36. I got bone touching bone on both knees. I got a steroid shot in both and I will see you again in 12 weeks. I need to lose 35 lbs in order to get tkr. I guess it will be rabbit food for the next 12 weeks. This is going to be tuff, but it got to be done.
 
well I saw my doctor today and I got to get my bmi down to 36. I got bone touching bone on both knees. I got a steroid shot in both and I will see you again in 12 weeks. I need to lose 35 lbs in order to get tkr. I guess it will be rabbit food for the next 12 weeks. This is going to be tuff, but it got to be done.
I would look for a second opinion---there are other OS's out there what will do the surgery, and it will be much, much easier to lose weight after a TKR or a BTKR due to the idea that you are pain-free and are able to be more active.
 
I gained weight because my doctors forced me to wait 10 years of decreasing activity. I'm hoping that as I get stronger I'll finally be able to lose some weight again. That's had to lose that amount of weight going in and also being careful you eat nutritious food your body will need to heal.
 
I agree that you should keep looking for a more accommodating surgeon. They are out there.
 
I won't argue about the benefits of losing weight; however, I found a surgeon who understood the need to fix my knees in spite of my weight. You can, too. Your BMI is better than mine, so I know there are surgeons who will do this.
 
yes I need to lose some weight. I will go at it aggressively for 12 weeks and see how much I can lose. Then I will take it from there. I need to lose a bout 80 lbs really. I am 6 feet 3 320 lbs, that's a lot of weight.
 
Hi @rightsidelimper - I'm sorry to be late adding my 2 cents worth to the conversation but I didn't get an alert when @Jaycey tagged me. I see that you have seen your surgeon and you are in a waiting game. I had my BTKR on November 12, 2014 and a year and a bit later, I often forget I had the surgery ;-) Two things that I did that may help were a change in diet and Aquafit. I read that others have mentioned going to a pool to you and I certainly agree. Building up the muscles in your legs will make a lot of difference in your eventual recovery. You can do things in the pool that are difficult on land, with sore joints. The other thing I did was change my diet. I went on an anti-inflammation diet cutting out nightshade vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), also cut out gluten and dairy. It's a bit easier to loose weight when you cut out some of the foods you crave. The good thing about this diet was that it reduced the pain I was in because the inflammation of the bone on bone in my knees was reduced.

If there is anyway I can help, let me know. I'll follow your thread so I can see what's happening in your life. Take care and Happy New Year. I hope that 2016 is your year!
 
Well today is the day I start my diet. Not only have I got weight to lose ,but I must also deal with a crippling pinch nerve that radiate pain down my right leg:banghead:. I am hoping I will not need another back surgery. I am going on a low carb high fat diet hoping I can shed the weight I need. If not I will find another os.
 
Well I am back. I lost 50 lbs and my name is on the list. Why do we have to get dental appointment before we have knee surgery?Have anyone ever came off antidepressants before surgery? I will be. I am tired of living a numbed out life.:bored:
 
rightsidelimper,
I just read your thread. I think you've done really well to lose 50lb, that took some determination. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your surgery, it sounds as if you have suffered enough. I think the reason for a dental check up before surgery is to make sure you don't need any procedures like root canals or extractions where infection may be a problem. Just wondering why you are coming off antidepressants, did someone advise you too? My husband is on them for bipolar disorder and if he came off it would have to be gradually and under supervision. I really hope things improve for you soon, don't give up hope.
Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
Well tabbycat my shrink said I been on them to long and he think they are giving me a lot of problems. Almost every joint in my body hurt. I had severe anxiety and panic attacks when I had a nasal surgery 22 years ago. And I have been on and off of them every since. So l might as well get rid of them now. I have been tapering off of them for about 6 weeks it's time for the fat lady to sing:yahoo:
 
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain, and I understand anxiety and panic attacks. If your shrink is right then you may be better off in the end, but it can be a difficult adjustment to make, and stress makes you more sensitive to pain. Be kind to yourself and I hope you can get through this difficult time.
Best wishes,
Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
Thank you tabby . May the good Lord bless you on your upcoming surgery. Someone told me that this surgery is very painful, but it was very well worth it:bolt:
 
Wow...fifty pounds!!! How fabulous for you. You are obviously determined to get back to enjoying your life and I commend you.

Knee replacement recovery can be a bit difficult sometimes, but not always. It is so important that you stay ahead of any pain you may experience and that you don't try to do too much too soon. When people have a lot of pain and swelling it's usually because they are not listening when their bodies tell them to slow down. This is not to say that a person should just sit around after surgery. But exercise should be gentle and not hurt (only slight discomfort with stretching and bending). Ice and whatever pain medication is needed become your best friends for a while.

You have a great attitude and determination. You're going to do just fine!!
 
Thanks Jamie. Yes I am determined to get my life back on track. I think antidepressants played a big part in my failing health,but I am taking on one thing at a time. Hopefully I will get my new knees this summer.:prayer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom