Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bone spurs

Thankyou
Today it happened a few times while out shopping there is still a fair bit of swelling and probably had overdone the walking so came home and iced and elevated .It’s 10 weeks now and finding I can do different things everyday just wish the aching pain would disappear :(
 
You will soon see that when you overdo, your knee will ache. If you take it easy, your recovery will normally be less painful and swollen. This means it's a better recovery than one that has setbacks because of recovering from pain. Slow and easy wins this recovery!
 
Hi
I’m sorry I posted this on someone else’s thread before I’m hoping I have removed it
Has anyone used Bexters soda crystals or Lectric soda crystals for relieving the swelling apparently it is used by sports people
 
Huge achievement for me today I walked our 500mtr board walk up hill and down to the beach through soft sand and a kilometre down the beach and back home again
Soo happy and with little effort
 
Awesome! I’m still nervous in that situation!
 
16 weeks now and doing ok still bit of fluid and swelling end of day is it normal for knee to be warm still
 
Both my knees get warm on and off and I think this will persist for a while yet. There is still inflammation going on in there. 16 weeks in a 52 week recovery is still relatively early in the game.
 
Last edited:
Had my full knee replacement Feb 2021 and then went through breast cancer and chemo July 2021 and finished chemo October 2022
I know that my knee took a backseat during chemo but still kept as active as possible
My knee not painful but very clunky and as said sounds and feels like ratchet sensation when getting up from sitting position or climbing stairs
At 6 month checkup X-rays all normal and Dr said come back in 2 years
I haven’t done anything about it as yet because I am just not wanting anymore operations now after cancer
Does anyone else have similar clunking a ratchet like sensation ‍
 
Last edited:
@BTass So sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis and sure hope you are feeling better now that you have finished Chemo.

As far as the clunking and ratchet sensation you are experiencing, I have exactly the same thing going on with my left knee. The crepitus sound happens when I stand up from a seated position and is quite loud and mildly uncomfortable. Dr said it is scar tissue over the patella and they stated they could go in and clean it up but there is always that risk of infection. As long as the implant was solid and no problems moving forward my answer was a hard no to any surgery and I will just live with it as it does not limit anything I want to do.

All the best to you, take care.
 
Does anyone else have similar clunking a ratchet like sensation
Yes, I still experience intermittent clacking/clunking with my knee, @BTass. As to the ratchet sensation, I experience something similar when I'm climbing stairs. Like @DJL1967, I've been told that I have some scar tissue build-up on the lateral side of my patella. (I can actually feel the "lump") but since it's not painful and my function is okay, I'm not really bothered by it.

Hope you are finished with chemo and doling well. :console2:
 
Hi
Haven’t been on for a while
After my left TKR in Feb 21 I found out in June I had breast cancer and then mastectomy and reconstruction to right breast so have had a lot to deal with
I went back to surgeon this week as my TKR knee has clicked , crunched and made like a ratchet movement for quite a while
He says it is bone spurs grown around TKR
Has anyone had this and did you have them cleaned up? Was it just keyhole or major op ?
PS hope everyone is doing well
 
Welcome back to BoneSmart. I'm sorry to read of your cancer diagnosis and hope that your recovery has been smooth.

There is a specific type of "bone spur" that can happen after joint surgery called heterotopic ossification - basically bone growing where it ought not be.

Here is our article about it. I should note our article doesn't mention it following knee replacements but, while rare, it does happen.

We have a couple of members now with that as an active issue. Here's a list of relevant posts.
 
Last edited:
@BTass I‘m sorry to read about your cancer journey. :console2: I hope you’re doing well with that now.

I’m also sorry to read about your bone spurs. What did your doctor recommend?

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, to keep your knee’s history in one place.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom