Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bip and Bop<

I'm hoping you get some relief from the pain soon @ATHIKER.
An absolutely incredible and inspiring story of your adventures, there will be many more I'm sure!
All the best, take care.
 
Doing better today and made it home. I had planed to go out to therapy but after yesterday I changed my mind and decided to have home care do I don't have to get in and out of house for a couple weeks.
We finally got the pain under control last night and everyone I was suppose to get it I called for it
 
Glad you got your pain management cocktail tweaked. It's sometimes tricky at first. Get that icing and elevation going as well. Ice is a natural pain killer.
 
I iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down! You can't do it too much. But, be sure you have a cloth between the ice and your knee.
 
I'm glad you decided not to go out to PT therapy.
For the first month, you don't need much PT anyway. Your knee needs to heal before you stress it with exercise. Just walking around the house is sufficient exercise for your knee right now.
 
I remember a couple of times I let the pain medicine run out and that’s a pain you won’t soon forget. I’m glad they got yours figured out. I also chose to have 2 weeks of home PT so I don’t have to navigate the car ride.
 
Sunday. Day four woke up with my foot swollen do I need compression socks.
I tried using my leg wedge but as of now it hurts a bit having it that high so I've put it on a pillow
 
Remember to keep on icing as well as elevating. :) My husband called me the Ice Queen, I iced so much, but it really does help the swelling and discomfort.

You probably don’t need compression socks. Swelling in the first week after surgery is to be expected. Everyone has swelling this early on. The best things to do are what you are doing: elevating, icing, resting, and walking. The walking you do, little as it is right now, is good for your circulation. We’re built to be upright and walking recruits the big muscles of your leg to help pump out the excess fluid. So your bathroom breaks and snack runs are part of your “get the swelling out” therapy. Just don’t overdo it. A little is wonderful; too much undoes all the good work.

You’re wise to keep your elevation at a comfortable height. Perhaps you need a lower wedge. If the pillows work better, stick with pillows to get the height that works best for you. Try, if you can, to get your toes above your nose (feet above heart) for the best drainage. But anything you can do to elevate is a big plus.

You’re doing great. This part of recovery is never easy. Hope you can enjoy a nice quiet day today.
 
The compression socks help if they are concerned about blood clots or deep vein thrombosis; have they mentioned any of that to you?

I had to wear them for two weeks after surgery for blood clots, and take high-dose aspirin. I actually wear them to physical therapy and if I have to do any walking, even though I technically don't "need" them anymore. But, they do help my legs feel good. Kind of like support hose, but from the knees down. If you don't have to wear them, don't sweat it. You may want to try them later, maybe in a few weeks.

Just elevate and ice when you're not up and around. Those are the best. And, make sure your in-home PT doesn't force any activity you don't want or that hurts. Mine were very gentle and focused on getting me up and around for short trips to the bathroom, etc.
 
I used pillows. The leg is sensitive at first and pillows are comfortable. Also you can add or subtract pillows as needed.
 
Made it through my first full day of PT they didn't push anymore then I could handle but this evening now it is hurting more then it has been.
They removed the wrap today and man there's a lot of staples I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow when I change the bandage and post it on the picture thread.
I've learned to lift my leg myself with a band so I can control the up and down myself. I think I'm doing ok seem to be getting around pretty good
 
Once you get the right pain med for you, it will be better. Once home I tracked my meds on my smart phone calendar and set my alarm for the next dosage due so I could keep ahead of the pain , yet stay safe . Icing and elevating help a lot.
 
You are doing great. Amazing thing about those staples. The holes just disappear after awhile. Keep doing what you are doing. It's working!
 
You are indeed doing okay. More than okay. The first weeks are bound to be painful, but if you take your pain meds on schedule and follow the mantras about resting, elevating, and icing, you will get through. It doesn't take a lot of PT early on to aggravate that freshly operated-on knee. Don't let the PT push you at all. Do what your knee is up to doing, and no more. A little discomfort is going to happen, but don't go into the pain zone.
 
You are indeed doing okay. More than okay. The first weeks are bound to be painful, but if you take your pain meds on schedule and follow the mantras about resting, elevating, and icing, you will get through. It doesn't take a lot of PT early on to aggravate that freshly operated-on knee. Don't let the PT push you at all. Do what your knee is up to doing, and no more. A little discomfort is going to happen, but don't go into the pain zone.

It's been a week now. Not as bad as I thought though it is uncomfortable at times. Had a PT session yesterday and did pretty good but I was a little more swelled today so I'm taking it easy and icing it today. PT guy says Dr. want a 90 by appt next Friday. That makes it a littler stressful
 
How do I add a post to this new app I hit reply but it didn't do it right I don't think
 
Keep thinking positive thoughts, ATHIKER. Its a journey. You are doing great!
 
Back
Top Bottom