Guest viewing is limited

THR Bionic Jaycey checking in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get that agreement in writing?
Absolutely - did not trust that one department would communicate with another. It was sorted very quickly with lots of apologies. However the fact remains staff are basically left high and dry if there is a major illness or surgery. Not what I would expect from a healthcare company and I certainly did not need the stress of it all!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving. I am originally from the US so am missing the festivities today!
 
Hi @Jaycey - I have been away from this forum for a while tending to my knew knee. It was great to catch up on your thread and see how far you have progressed! moving! That is the kind of thing normal, healthy people get to do - that must be you! Great news!
 
Sorry you've had "issues" with your employer @Jaycey ; I'm glad you got it sorted, but it does make you feel for those people who don't think to "get it in writing", and as you work in the healthcare field makes you think about how much "care" is actually involved, especially in a situation where there are enough stresses.
It is one area I didn't have to worry about; The bulk of my work is for our own business, so my "pay" went from nothing to nothing:rotfl: the other businesses I do bookkeeping for I just had to factor it in, (like I did when I cancelled my first surgery date because recovery straddled the end of the financial year, only one of the reasons, but the most noble!) ... it was only mildly shambolic by the time I phased back in :flabber: and as all my work (now) is from home it really was not too hard - hard enough that I was glad not to have to worry about going back out to work. I used to do a couple of hours a week at each of the companies, thank goodness for d'internet:cool:, it meant I could do it all from the comfort of my office chair - strike that, wedge cushion wouldn't fit in office chair (well not properly/safely) so the old laptop/network combo has had a real workout:heehee:
I'm so jealous of you sleeping on your side... I can't wait for that one! The longer I go the more ridiculously over cautious twelve weeks of "precautions" feels. Tying your shoes, that must have felt good too - it's warming up here so I figure about the time I can tie my shoes it'll be stinking hot and time for slip on shoes full time. I might buy new sneakers just so I've got some tie up shoes that I can wear without looking ridiculous - justifiable tie-ups:loll:Either way it will be nice to get to my operated foot, drying it is a feat in itself (did you see what I did there? feat, feet.... lol)
On the other hand (look I did it again!) I'm not jealous of your move; it's nice to go to a new home, especially if it offers more than your last one, but the move..... groan! Still, once you're done you're done, and it does force you to sort stuff out; my Mum and Dad need to move, their house and garden are far too big, but they've been there for 33 years and Dad put shelves in every one of the spare room built ins to put "stuff" on! It's all neat as a pin, but just the thought of sorting it all out is too much for them... and as I'm "it" as far as help goes, too much for me too!
I hope your recovery continues in it's current agreeable fashion :cool: have a great day
 
I'm so jealous of you sleeping on your side... I can't wait for that one! The longer I go the more ridiculously over cautious twelve weeks of "precautions" feels.
Still using a pillow between the legs and I can't stay on the op side too long yet. But getting there.
I might buy new sneakers just so I've got some tie up shoes that I can wear without looking ridiculous - justifiable tie-ups
You should buy new shoes anyway. Wearing shoes that you wore pre-op can cause lower back issues as they could be worn down from trying to stay off that sore hip. Good excuse to go shoe shopping!

So sorry you have to suffer through 12 weeks of restrictions. It does seem very OTT!
 
That company of yours is a joke @Jaycey and a Healthcare Company to boot!

Glad you got it sorted but not what you need during recovery....although you sound like you've had a great one! Do hope you still get time since you are back at work to do some resting. Don't think I could good with all that hassle ....so glad I'm retired! Xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny , I don't really cope well with all the corporate stuff. And it does impact my recovery as today I am sore and stiff - didn't sleep well. I would love to retire and just focus on my volunteer work but the time is not quite right yet. Some day!
 
Hi Jacey popped in to see how you are doing sorry to hear you didn't have a good night hopefully a better one tonight. Still using the pillow between your legs made me smile as I got so attached to it that my wife mocked me when I returned to work as I still kept using it. Glad to hear you have got things sorted out so take care and big hugs from Scotland.

Billy
 
Well you're probably right, Jaycey... it is time for some "shoe shopping" - the lower back issues have been in play for a while and haven't improved that much with the THR. I think it's time for some orthotics too, I wear my shoes very much to one side but have been waiting until I had my hip done before getting anything done to correct it as I didn't want to do the job twice... I think the time is now!
I'm thinking that the attachment I formed with my knee pillow (I've used a pillow between my legs for three years or so, and only "found" a sort of dumbbell shaped knee pillow a couple of months ago... it's PERFECT!) is going to stick with me when I'm eventually allowed to side sleep; at least for a little while, it just won't feel "right" without it :heehee: I'm glad you agree 12 weeks is OTT... on the other hand my OS didn't require Warfarin/Coumadin injections or TED stockings, so I suppose it's a trade off:rotfl:
Hope you can get back to your steady recovery. I've got to say I'm stiff and sore today, can't really put my finger on what's triggered it; I drove to the "Big Shops" about half an hour away, but didn't feel any discomfort while driving, I walked around them for an hour (without my cane), again something I've done before, and I was feeling it by the end, I can usually go longer without discomfort... but as to why I'm still so stiff today, who knows?? It certainly wasn't because I was trying to bring down some Corporate Giant like you did:snork:
I'd like to retire too, trouble is hubby's not ready and I'm committed as long as he is - unless the OA in my hands gets too bad and I can't use the computer anymore. He's 60 and finally cranked it back to four days a week, with Fridays for "spillover" - unfortunately there seems to have been a lot of spillover... so every Friday has been filled with Dr's appointments he's had to drive me to, Surgery dates, or catching up or patching up the week's disasters; he hasn't had a free one in about four months; it was a good idea on paper:rotfl:
:wave:
 
Hi @Jaycey
I just wanted to comment that I am so happy for you to get rid of the LLD.
I have acquired myself one of these to the tune of 5mm (.2 inches) which in itself isn't great, it is
annoying.
 
@craftdee sleeping with a pillow between your knees is very good for people with lower back problems. I was doing that long before my first THR due to my spinal issues.

@MajorHeidi getting rid of the LLD has unfortunately exposed other issues as now my lower back and left hip are objecting to the new way of walking. I start PT tomorrow so hopefully they will help!
 
Wow @Jaycey reading your thread brought me to tears & what a roller coaster ride you have been on!!! Losing a pet, work issues, moving, OMG, it's a big deal on top of a hip replacement..You must be very strong..... I can't read Rainbow Bridge without crying, its an awesome poem. Losing a pet/family member is so hard. A lot of people think I'm a bit odd but I like animals better than most people..We have lost a couple of German Shepherds over the years and man it's tough to deal with. But we do need to keep going. We do have 2 more Shepherds and they're our babies....The ones you loose are never replaced, we just can't live without the joys of a pet/family member...
So glad you got your work issues sorted, not a nice thing to put you through...Hope your enjoying your new house..
It's two weeks to the day since my op and I'm down to one crutch and taking an asprin a day plus panadol when I feel I need to. I went out yesterday for some lunch and bit of food shopping as going stir crazy at home and it's funny how people stir at you. I know what others feel like that have a disability.
My right hip also needs to be done so after reading your thread I may push for mine sooner rather than later. Not sure why but my surgeon said my op leg is slightly longer but will fix it when he does the other hip. He told me I won't limp so I'm hoping this is the case. Was there much difference with your leg length prior to your latest op?
I'm needing to find some patience from somewhere and being part of BoneSmart is helping me get through...

Have a lovely day...:tada:
 
Thanks for stopping by my thread @Gilly ! Yes, this has not been what I would call a barrel of laughs.

I used to obedience train a German Shepherd. Love the breed but until I am home full time I won't be considering any new pet. Not sure if I can let another animal in my heart at the moment. Early days I guess.
Was there much difference with your leg length prior to your latest op?
My LLD was about 1/4 inch and I could not go without a lift in my shoe. I have back issues so a balanced gait is a must. I was totally surprised that they could make the correction with my RTHR as the surgeon had indicated it might be the back that was causing the LLD.

Went to PT today - a complete waste of time I am afraid. Apparently I am an "able hip replacement patient" so no real help offered and exercises that never really did anything for me after my LTHR. Oh well!
 
German Shepherds are a lovely breed @Jaycey I used to have poodles when I was younger but would never go back. I love Shepherds they're an all round awesome family dog...My girls are loving me being home all day...lol....You will know when it's the right time to get another pet.

In NZ the only physio treatment I have had is in the hospital. To be honest if it wasn't for BoneSmart I would be so in the dark with what I should/shouldn't be doing. I called the hospital yesterday and spoke to a physio to ask if I should be doing more and what exactly is it is and she told me just to increase my exercises daily and not to overdo it.. Weird if you ask me as I would of liked a check up to be honest. It's hard to know if your doing enough...So by reading every ones threads is helping me...:happydance:

It's awesome your surgeon corrected your leg length..
 
I haven't posted on my thread for awhile. Not much to report! Every week brings more mobility. I am back to work full time but happy to report my new boss is not pushing me at all.

I met with a new PT (back to the area where I had my op) who spent an hour looking at my gait. Seems my bad ankles and orthotics that are not really supporting them are causing what I thought was a limp. New exercises to strengthen ankles, feet and lower legs as well as new orthotics should do the trick!

I have the odd aches and pains sometimes - but in general I have been delighted with this recovery. At nearly 10 weeks out I really don't think about my new hip anymore.

If you are reading this and getting discouraged at not being as far along in your own recovery - don't compare your recovery to any other. I am proof that every recovery is different. It took over 12 months to recover from my LTHR. Perhaps I was more prepared for this surgery. Or perhaps my surgeon's technique was key to my success. Guess we will never know. :scratch:
 
hi @Jaycey. wow. sounds like you're doing great after such a short time. if I remember correctly, I was feeling good by ten weeks too, but somehow it seems a distant memory. :) hope things continue to go well. happy holidays to you and yours. devorah
 
Well a slight glitch in the process. I have started to develop knee pain on the op side. Saw the podiatrist yesterday and it seems I am twisting the whole op side inward with every step. He filmed me walking and this is all very obvious. As I get more and more mobile, this causes further stretching. Podiatrist confirmed there is no more LLD - but my muscles are so weak on that side my body is trying to compensate. Coupled with the bad ankles this all needs very quick attention before I get into bad habits! New orthotics ordered (yikes, severe pain in my wallet) and I will see PT after the New Year for further suggestions on how to avoid/correct this twisting. Guess nothing is simple! Thanks for all your positive posts on my thread! You guys are the best!
 
Sorry you are getting knee pain @Jaycey...I do hope those new orthotics help....the PT's made me walk looking into a long mirror and it was evident I was favouring the non op side and ' twisting ' the other. It's do hard to get the gait right when you have foot & back issues too. Thinking of you & hoping you get it sorted very soon. Hope you are enjoying the hols....love Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom