Hip Infection Bilateral THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sls8207 Hi, I'm glad you're progressing nicely. Sleep and great fuel are a must for a nice strong recovery! Relax and enjoy the ride!
 
Hi everyone, I'll be 4 weeks out tomorrow, but today while I was at an unrelated doctor appointment, I was getting up from a chair and something happened in my thigh that's now giving me sort of stabbing pain whenever I flex my left quad (mainly going up the stairs, standing up from a chair, or squatting down to sit). Does anyone know what this might be? I am hoping that I didn't mess something in the implant up.
 
Hi, I had a bilateral thr about 3 months ago, and was told by my surgeon in my last appointment that everything looked good and I would be able to resume normal actovities.

Currently, I am on vacation and we were getting gas for the boat and we had to push off of another boat at the dock to avoid hitting it, and my friend kind of leaned on my leg to help. After that, I started feeling some pain that seems to start in my knee and radiate up the front of my thigh. Im very scared that I have messed up my implant somehow, and I am supposed to be here until Friday.

Does anyone know if this type of pain is a symptom of a loosened implant? And if not what else could it be?
 
@ sls8207 I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Rest assured you will NOT have damaged your new knee nor even caused a loosening. I would rather imagine it's likely to be a muscle strain which will get better as time passes. And until you are about 10-12 months out, I suggest you don't push boats and don't allow other people to use you as a counter-pressure while doing the same thing! If it continues to trouble you, go see a chiropractor.
 
@sls8207 Hi, Bilateral Jim here! Hey, protect the hips young man, ice, and hopefully you just tweeked it. Good to hear you are well! Have fun!
 
Just wanted to post an update -
Ever since the incident that I explained in my previous post, the pain in my right leg has not gone away. After going to physical therapy for about 2 months after returning from vacation, I did not really see any improvements in pain or strength. I kept doing activities as usual hoping it would resolve. My surgeon thought that it was probably a muscle injury that would take time to heal. However, about 2 weeks ago, the pain got much worse to the point where I couldn't even put weight on my right leg without a sharp pain going from my knee up the entire thigh. After getting an MRI of my right leg yesterday, the surgeon said that there was fluid near the joint, so I went today for a hip aspiration and it turns out to be infected. I have no idea how that happened, I haven't felt sick or feverish at all recently. So now I have to go through having a spacer put in and then go through the whole replacement process again already.
 
How awful @sls8207! I'm so very sorry! I'm going to tag @Jamie to put a flag that you have an infection and possibly answer your question. In the meantime, go to the recovery area and look for the word "infection" in the title of the threads and you can find other members going through the same thing. Again, I'm so sorry!
 
So sorry for you @sls8207! No one wants to go through all of that, but we will be with you every step of the way.
 
I went today for a hip aspiration and it turns out to be infected. I have no idea how that happened, I haven't felt sick or feverish at all recently.
There is no why or wherefore in periprosthetic infections. YOU don't have to do anything for it to happen.
Read these
Infection: Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection
Infection: Periprosthetic infection (Scientific Articles)
Infection: Peri-prosthetic infection: study by the Mayo Clinic concerning prophylactic antibiotics (Scientific Articles)
 
Oh no! This is one of my big fears so sorry you have to go through this. Glad it was caught though!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you for the kind words and information. My surgeon contacted my hematologist/oncologist right after I spoke with him and she wanted me admitted to the hospital right away for antibiotics and to get a PICC line that I will end up needing anyway. She is worried that the infection would have found its way into my blood and even though my bone marrow transplant was almost 2 years ago, my immune system is still somewhat compromised.

I was supposed to see a surgeon that my Ortho recommended to do the spacer and washout today, but since I am in the hospital, it has to be pushed back.
 
So sorry you are going through all this @sls8207 ! Hope they can get things under control very soon. Please do keep us updated!
 
It breaks my heart to see that you have been through some serious health issues at the young age of 20. Know that your Bonesmart family is here for you dear one. I've been praying for you since Thursday and will continue to do so. Please keep us updated on your progress and should you just need a shoulder to cry on, we are here for you. :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update... Got my spacer put in on Monday 8/22. Unfortunately the surgeon said he needed to do the posterior approach to help with removing the infected implant. The pain was pretty bad the first night but got better over a few days. Got to come home on Friday just in time for my birthday. I don't think the spacer would be so bad if I didn't have to follow all of these precautions for pretty much the entire duration of having the spacer in. The whole 90 degree rule is such a huge inconvenience to pretty much everything I do.
 
Im happy to hear you are one step closer to normalcy! Many members who have had the posterior approach and the restrictions that come along with it, say that they got used to them very quickly and the restrictions soon became second nature to them. Hoping your recovery goes well and without any hitches.
 
So glad you have finally gotten rid of that nasty implant. I know the spacer is a pain in more ways than one. But at least you are on the way to recovery from that infection. Hope things continue to move along for you.
 
@sls8207 So sorry for these troubles that I know all too well. I am 32 and I was 3 years post op from anterior on right leg and discovered a staph infection last month. I have a spacer too, will be 8 weeks on Wednesday, surgery scheduled for 9/29. I had a PICC line for 6 weeks with antibiotics every 8 hours that ended 8/19 and I just want to tell you that you will get through this. It seems terrible and I'm not going to lie it's a hard time but with family and friends and prayer I am getting through it. I wish these infections did not happen to anybody...just another speed bump in this thing called life. This forum has helped me in talking and reading about people like myself and gave me a coping mechanism. So hang in there I will be praying for your strength during this time
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom