Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR bilateral THR 10/22/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my that we ALL could have such a great report at 1 year!
Congrats



Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/
 
thanks roof, and Deb,
looking forward to our trip,
current forecast calls for sun and temps in the 80s..
was 22 here this morning,,, brrrrrrrrr
:SUNsmile:
 
Dutch, the weather down here is perfect right now! I've been kayaking or bike riding almost every day. Have a beautiful trip to Sanibel. Post pictures!
 
thanks Sissy, looking forward to warm weather!

question for anybody that has flown lately, tues will be my first
flights since the surgery, and i was wondering what to expect?
I have read where some have shown scars after setting off the
metal detector. I don't think our local airport has the large xray type
of machine here, so i guess i could be scanned with the hand wand also??
 
Having flown for 10 years with other metal implants, I suggest just tell them you want a pat down. Tell them you can't go thru the machine

That way you don't have to free walk and free stand

Just remind the security person who reviews you, of your sensitive areas AND if you are unsteady on your feet.

En flight...seems like from other posts ( and when I have had 16 hr flights USA to china).. Do frequent foot and leg exercises. People mention ankle pumps, heel slides, knee raises and walking thru cabin or in place ( WALK OF COURSE ONLY when there is no turbulence!)

I expect you'll be exhausted from the traveling!
And welcome to Florida.. It is just cooling offhand GORGEOUS!

Happy travels

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12







Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/
 
Thank you Kathy!
no stability issues, and hour long car rides aren't a problem any more, but i'll keep
legs/toes moving i'm sure.

i wonder if I showed them my xrays on my phone?? i do have a card from the dr office
that says i have implants, but i'm sure they don't hold much water.

:bicycle1:
 
cnydutch. Even with images and card from dr, they still want to pat down and wand you.
I find Newark security the nastiest for people with disabilities ( used to be my home airport)

Most airports, you tell them you can't go thi scanner and they are kind...

SCHEDULING ISSUE
BEWARE with pat downs allow an extra 5-30 min to go through security

best,
kathy



Thank you Kathy!
no stability issues, and hour long car rides aren't a problem any more, but i'll keep
legs/toes moving i'm sure.

i wonder if I showed them my xrays on my phone?? i do have a card from the dr office
that says i have implants, but i'm sure they don't hold much water.

:bicycle1:



Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
We made it to Florida today! I did get the pat down, more of a mental thing I guess. i think it's just that they put you off to the side out in the wide open and do it. But no problems and soon we boarded the plane. Had good flights, arrived just before noon, a bit cloudy today, windy, but warm.

We had some time to take a little walk on the beach, and looky here! I guess we'll stick to swimming in the pool!

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12


[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
What terrific photos...even though I've been here 3.5 years.. I've only seen these when I go out on the boat tours!

Looking forward to more photos!
 
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
I do believe seeing this would discourage me from wanting to go into the ocean. Actually I felt that way after reading Jaws years ago; then seeing the movie only strengthened my lack of desire to submerge myself in salt water.


Hope the weather there is good for you. Nothing worse than being welcomed to sunny Florida and have it rain on you for days. I went to college in Winter Park outside of Orlando for four years a very long time ago.
 
Hey cnydutch glad your flight went well and your security clearance was without incident.Aside from the sharks hows Florida?I had my own shark experience when I was there spearfishing.Stupid sharks love to ruin our fun.Enjoy bud.!
 
Well, we're having a great time, weather has been warm and sunny for the most part. Today we had a few clouds, but it's still warm. We have been walking, and biking. yesterday I think we biked over 9 miles! too much on a hot afternoon.

The hips feel great, although it's different walking along the surf when the ground is sloped, not to mention the sprained ankle has bothered me more than anything.. I have a hard time walking in 1 direction on the sloped beach, so I stay up on the level ground when going that way, coming back the other way is ok.

Working on loading pictures on my photobucket account, here's the link, i hope it works. Have had several chances to take pictures of wildlife.
https://s15.photobucket.com/user/sdutch/library/sanibel%202013/wildlife%20pics

Here's a couple pics:


[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12


[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
Came back home to NY yesterday, to snow on the ground! UGH!
had a great time, weather was great, I felt great! We got some sun,
and had a lot of R&R. did a lot of bike riding, and walking, and even
some kayaking!

the airport at Ft Myers had the newer style xray machine, all i had to
do was stand in there, and it was a piece of cake. no pat down, as a matter
of fact my implants didn't even show up on the xray. no problem! hopefully our
local airport will get that system here too.

i'm off a couple more days, then back to work monday. I still have some
winterization projects to do here, esp since we are in the 20/30's for temps
the past few days. quite a change form a week straight in the 80s!

one more picture from the trip, my g/f was really hoping we'd see some
of these! we found em!
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
15 months this week, wow has time flown by this past year!
life is good, winter is cold, and i feel great. other than a
sprained ankle in october i am feeling very healthy again. i do find
that i can do just about anything that needs to be done, although i
don't "run". started heating our home with coal again, and that means
handling 50 lb bags of coal on a regular basis, and it's not an issue.
i've even grabbed a couple of them to carry from the garage down
into the basement, not a problem. so i guess the hips are good huh?
thanks again for everybody here at B.S. for the support and information.
it truly is a godsend for anybody going thru any of these procedures.

:snow dig::snow plough:
 
This little Florida gator says "Hey, Dutch! glad you're doing so very well." Always good to see a great progress report from one of my good old bonesmarty friends.
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
Hey @cnydutch my old friend.Sounds as though your doing great.I hope at 15 months out I'm doing as well as you.Great reading about your success.
 
thanks @Roofmaster . i see you are battling the cold and snow this winter, be careful!
i think you have had the roughest winter in years over there huh?
 
Yes, I took it, thanks. He was just a little guy, maybe 4 or 5 ft.
 
I was just checking your site as I hope to have such a wonderful story a year from now. I am hoping that this time of healing will just become a blur and my life will return to normal. Hate the shark issue, that is my fear in salt water even if it is ankle deep, if something nibbles on me my fanny is practically walking on water to get out! Wish I were braver. Thank you for sharing your story down the road, it gives me hope of a brighter tomorrow. Wishing you a bright future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom