Bilateral TKR Bilateral knee surgery 3+weeks out

Improvement in this recovery is very slow, so a lot of patience is needed. The bend will happen, as you heal and your swelling goes down. Try not to worry, and don’t work too hard on it, as that can irritate those soft tissues that are working hard to heal.

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
Thanks for asking. It is slowly improving. I was able to go down and up the stairs with a cane. Tapering down my pain meds ( only down to one vicodin in am and evening, and will cut that in three days to only one. Hope is to only take when needed afterwards.
Right knee is excellent. Near 110. Left knee is around 75 ( increased 5 degrees from last week).
Trying very hard to get that to atleast 80 by end of next week. (6th week).
I love the advice on this forum(ice, elevate, and listen to your body and know when to quit). All other forums scare you, and I think it causes you to mentally give up. I am a believer that If you head the advice from this forum and continue to work hard, I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope to god that my flex continues to increase in the next two-three weeks.
 
Thank you everyone! I think I over did it. My quads are really stiff and hurting ! Taking it easy Tommorow.
 
Right knee is excellent. Near 110. Left knee is around 75 ( increased 5 degrees from last week).

This is what one of our members said about bilateral TKR:

” I watched a bilateral knee replacement when I was a nursing student. The patient happened to be a neighbor. It was quite a comfort to him that I was there. I was not that physically close to the surgical area because that's a super-sterile area. They wear space suits so they're not even breathing near the wound. I was by the patient's head. They did the left knee first and then the right, which went easier because they'd figured out the correct components on the left which means there was more tourniquet time, more putting on and taking off of components, and generally tweaking of the artificial joint on the left. So it was no surprise that the patient's right knee recovered more easily and with less swelling. Who knows how much each of our knees get tweaked and manipulated during the surgery, resulting in more tissue trauma? “
 
hi all just to give an update. I’m 10 weeks in and my left knee has increased to 95 Rom. Right is almost normal. That left knee still bothers me and is the most problematic meaning I still have pain at night.
My surgeon said if I am not 105 by 3 months they want to do anesthesia. I’m trying my best but it’s getting harder. I am really nervous for this.
Good news I am off my walker and can go up and down stairs with minimal support from a cane.
 
Last edited:
My surgeon said if I am not 105 by 3 months they want to do anesthesia.
There are no time lines for this recovery. I would not give any manipulation under anaesthetic a thought. Far too early! Just keep doing what you are doing. Time is what is needed, not force.
 
Many surgeons will not do a manipulation of you are past 90, and you are. This leg just needs more time to heal.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom