Bilateral TKR Bilateral Knee Replacement Scheduled Oct 18th; Nervous

I am 49 I was supposed to have this surgery last year and three days before surgery they called me canceling it due to a rise in COVID numbers and all elective surgeries being canceled.

I am a homeschooling mom to a 11 year old and I watch my 3 year old granddaughter.

I am so nervous, I know I need this done, but can’t help worrying I will be the 1% with long lasting problems.

Welcome to BoneSmart!
I'll leave some pre-op reading for you with best wishes for your comfort as you wait. Everyone is nervous when facing major surgery, but you must be a good candidate for bilateral or your surgeon wouldn't have agreed to it. Have confidence in that and the fact that joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again

I"ll also leave a link to threads of other bilateral TKR members for you to peruse. Stop back often, we'll be here to support you and advise when we're able. Thanks for joining us! :)
@alemana

KNEE PRE-OP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thanks I guess I told myself one knee would be just as bad as two. Now I am starting to worry that is incorrect.... Any thoughts on if it is double the pain or or both are just as bad as the other?

I don’t know of any bilateral members who were sorry they did both at once. The best part is just one recovery. Hang out here with us and we’ll see you through it. :flwrysmile:

Thanks I guess I told myself one knee would be just as bad as two. Now I am starting to worry that is incorrect.... Any thoughts on if it is double the pain or or both are just as bad as the other?
The pain is quite bad to start with, but bearable. The key is that your recovery is in parallel; if you have them one at a time three months apart, as is common, on the 2nd surgery you're back to day 1! No thank you.

Hi all! I am scheduled for TKR on October 18th! So excited!
Hi this is my date too! I would love to keep in touch as we get bionic knees! LOL. You know....
I am getting bilateral done on the 18th.
Hi, I have not been on here much...Yes, October 18 is the big day, trying to do an much pre-op working out and getting healthy as I can!

@alemana @Summeryy
I‘ve moved your posts above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

Ok, thanks, I did not even realize where it posted to! Thanks again, sorry about that

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads