Bilateral acetabular protrusion

Why did he send you to a different doctor? It's nice knowing someone has seen the same doctor I am going to.
 
I am complicated. My "good" hip looks like your bad one, my bad one protrudes inches into the pelvis and was fused 38 years ago when I was 12. Dr. Nestor is new to Summit, but very experienced with weird hips. I just wish he wasn't on the other side of the cities.
 
Okay, Just got back from the Mayo and they said I have a large bone growth on my right femur bone and cysts. They are doing a ct and if it comes back that I have more cysts then they are going to do a hip replacement, if not they are going to shave the growths away, to get me a few more years. I am hoping for the hip replacement, but either way I will be getting surgery.
 
It depends, if they can't do the bone shaving and I get in for a hip replacement then I won't go, but I probably will still go to see Dr. Yellin.
 
I just found out that the orthopedic wants to do hip replacement at the Mayo Clinic. He said my hip is just too far gone. Surgery is scheduled for October
 
I know this discussion ended 6+ months ago, but I was just wondering if, Lexi, you did indeed have your surgery at Mayo and how it turned out?
 
I did have my left hip replaced at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. It very well, recovery was more challenging than I expected, and now I am back at work full time. The hospital was nice with private rooms. My husband slept by my side while I was there. The nurses and staff was great, and my surgeon Dr Berry did a great job, my scar is healing wonderfully. In the beginning Dr. Berry was very detailed and wanted to investigate what happened, and resorted to surgery as a last resort, but did not make me wait. I told him my reasons and he had empathy for me. Let me know if you have any questions.
 
Thank you for your quick response back. I am having my images and reports sent to the Mayo Clinic in Mn for review. I guess after looking over everything they will decide if they can be of help to me, or refer me somewhere else? I am happy to hear your surgery was a success.
 
I'm not an expert, but the Mayo really doesn't refer to somewhere else. What makes the Mayo great is they are a team, and all the experts are just down the hall. I seen about 6 different doctors and they all communicated with each other to determine the best treatment for me. Good luck, the Mayo Clinic is a great place to go.
 
@lexi I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post because I'm 26 and had similar struggles at age 24. I saw Dr Daniel Berry a few years ago and he encouraged me to put it off, but now he is performing the surgery in June. Your xrays look very similarly to mine! Not that I can read xrays very well, but still. It's encouraging to meet someone in a similar situation! I was wondering if there's an update on your journey? How have you been doing?
 
Dracia, we have many other members who have had AP. If you tag me in your thread, I'll share some of my pictures with you.
 
I am doing great. Moving around very well, almost a year from my surgery. Medical leave was hard to just sit around and let me body heal. I’m doing great now.
 
Hi @lexi
Happy to hear you're doing well. I'm sure others would love to read an update also if you care to
post one on your recovery thread -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/on-the-other-side.43978/
I'm tagging @Dracia who is now in recovery and may not see your response to her 4 month old post above.
Enjoy the rest of the Summer!

Oops...just saw your exciting update on the Recovery side after posting this. Congrats!!
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom