• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
United States United States
Oh, I agree with both of you, @bickypeg and @Layla--babysitting the grands is both wonderful and exhausting and I always fall asleep easily on nights following any care for the wee ones. And I think complaining about body stiffness is October sounds about right--it's a transitional weather season and I agree that I am whinier this time of year as the gloom and rain returns. Hips and thighs are still feeling quivery after my trip this past weekend but hoping now I'm back to my normal routine I'll be feeling better by week's end. Sure takes a lot of time, though, and I must have really overdone it big time to still be feeling so achy today. But, it is what it is--onwards!

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @Apricot did you go and see Ali? Guessing she likes you though for your recommendation?!
It seemed a strange week for me however. 2 full babysitting days but more tiring than usual and I found I hadn't my usual patience and imagination for creative play but I got lots of unsolicited cuddles which are the best medicine!
We had a non rainy day Wednesday so I actually got on a bus! Only a mile to the nearest town and I had a coffee and chatted to random strangers which I can't easily do with OH in tow. Great feeling independent but I did get a taxi home as I couldn't face a walk up the hill. Swapped shoes halfway through the day as they seemed to make calves and ankles ache and then I even managed a short walk in the afternoon. I could write a book about shoes. And mattresses.
Great night's sleep and woke thinking 'Nothing hurts! What's wrong?' but later went down the steep steps to the cellar to do laundry (usually husband's job hence all my grey underwear!) and halfway down knee on old leg was agonisingly painful. I climbed back up OK. Was very depressed wondering if my knees are finally going but after avoiding the stairs all day and taking some painkillers it passed fairly quickly.
Went up later to see former pupil at the cafe where she works to give her a birthday present. So proud of her. It's on the edge of the moors and a beautiful spot. But I decided reluctantly to avoid a walk and felt better for it.
A couple more gloomy mornings (mood and weather) which also makes me restless and unable to concentrate. But I tried to keep busy and finally got stuck into a well written thriller which I'd read in February in hospital! Made me want to be an archaeologist in Norfolk. I'd been too full of drugs to properly enjoy it previously. And I drank lots of horrid camomile tea. Although I'm not sure I don't need a pick me up rather than a calm me down! Peppermint? Ginger?

Attachments

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
I have Peppermint tea for breakfast and have had two Ginger and Honey since. I also drink Earl Grey. I rarely drink coffee.

Hope you have a good weekend. It is actually raining here but much needed.

z-bom-fim-de-semana31.gif Izzy xx

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
I love Earl Grey! But I like it with milk rather than lemon. I drink it in preference to anything. An occasional cappuccino when I'm out and about but otherwise always decaff.
No rain today despite the forecast so I've been able to get out with husband (in between the horrid rugby!) to dear little cafe near the youngest's house where I did my 5000 steps but ate a slab of homemade chocolate orange cake as a counter balance!

Attachments

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Aww, bickypeg, so nice to see your smiling face!
Love the different levels in the garden at the cafe. Hopefully you're feeling better rested than on the days you babysat the little princess. Kids can tire you out for sure.

Great night's sleep and woke thinking 'Nothing hurts! What's wrong?
Isn't that the truth?!! It's hard to believe when you spring out of bed and nothing feels stiff that it's really happening, lol.

but later went down the steep steps to the cellar to do laundry (usually husband's job hence all my grey underwear!)
So funny, but so true! Why is it men think everything can go into the same wash load? Only option is to buy all black, or gray, panties and socks and you'll never know! Better yet, surprise him and wash his socks and underwear (only whites) and throw a red t-shirt in, accidentally of course, and voila, pink socks and underwear for hubs! :rotfl:

It's good you're fitting in some walks and steps and seem to be handling it well. You're making progress and enjoying life.....it's all good!
Have a lovely weekend!

Apricot

senior
Country
Yes I did go to see Ali. I am very fond of her. My knees have been troublesome. One for the last 6 years and the other one seems to have got going since the hip replacement. Sigh.
Well done on a regular 5,000. As we get more active and mobile it affects other parts of the body. I still think you are doing brilliantly.

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
For some reason I’m craving a cup of tea after catching up with you. @bickypeg Lovely photo of you at your cafe.

Laughed at your shoe, and mattress comment. Yes and YES. I imagine a morning without pain was remarkable! I bought all new undergarments after my husbands laundry duty. He did not understand need for garments to hang to dry or be sorted either. Bless him, he tried. Great excuse for a complete refresh of all.

Hope you get your far share of sunshine this week!

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Hi, @bickypeg Nice to read about a good night's sleep (so lovely when that happens, and really makes the following day a brighter prospect) and then going out, you little gadfly, to trot around and visit various places--a good day! Sorry about knees complaining on the steep stairs, but maybe it's just that they are a bit out of alignment due to hip nonsense. Mine complain periodically but my PT says that she thinks it is really due to long term gait problems before surgery, and that strengthening up my hips and thighs will help address this. Have grand day!

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Does Ali help with your knees @Apricot? My aches and pains (and weaknesses) do seem to be moving down my body. I'm so scared of my knees deteriorating. I appreciate my new hips (mostly) but can't face any more surgery. Someone (@Barbaraj ?) commented on our not bouncing back and getting back to pre-arthritis fitness because of the ageing process. I guess it's so but it's hard to accept. Am I expecting too much? Although sometimes just curling up in a comfy chair with a good book for an hour or so seems an impossible dream.
Actually got in and out of the bath this morning though. First time in years! No water in it of course - literally a step too far! It was really hard getting new leg out again...

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Actually got in and out of the bath this morning though. First time in years! No water in it of course
A perfect example of the humor I love, bickypeg :heehee:
I'll bet you'll you'll be flexible enough to enjoy a long soak soon :bath:
Maybe practice, will make perfect?

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
I wouldn't dare @Layla sadly despite my cute non slip bathmat with ducks on it. I can't see I'll be able to do that lifting of 'new' leg up and over safely. Poor hip adductors? I gave up bathing well before my ops. And there's nothing like a good long soak before bed...:beg:

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Actually got in and out of the bath this morning though. First time in years! No water in it of course - literally a step too far! It was really hard getting new leg out again..
:wave:I actually have a nice soak on Sundays but have to have Hubby assist left leg in and out! :sos: Problem is English and Portuguese baths are tall ... compared to the American ones I see on home programmes which appear lower than the low looking toilets. Also, I have a no slip mat in it and let most of the water out before getting out so there is less pressure. I hope I can do it myself someday too. :beg:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
I am holding out for total recovery @bickypeg I think our lower legs gets sore from being used in new ways while hip abductors heal. At least that’s what I tell myself on the daily to quiet my mind. :thud:

Funny thing with tubs. I just recently got in and out of our deep tub. It was actually easier with water in the tub to get out. I sunk a towel in the bath for traction. The water made me float easier. Pushed up on knees and then pushed myself up with my good leg. Stood up, then lifted out left leg. My hubby was listening but not required for extraction lol. The simple pleasures we celebrate in this journey.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
My hubby was listening but not required for extraction lol
Haha! And you're right about simple pleasures. Who would have thought 20 yrs ago we'd get excited about getting out of a bathtub?!! It's good we can laugh at this stuff!

Fingers crossed you make it into that tub again one day for a nice long soak.
@bickypeg

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I agree with everyone, @bickypeg, and think that at some point you will be able to maneuver your way in and out of a bathtub with water in it. It's just another goal to look forward to achieving. Having said that, I confess that taking baths isn't really my thing. The water never stays hot enough and sitting in lukewarm water is not much fun, not to mention that our only bathtub is too short for tall me, and I can't fully stretch out my legs nor lean back. But lots of folks feel as enthusiastic about baths as they do about massage, another thing I've never been able to truly appreciate, although it's true that maybe I have never had a really good massage. I hope you had a good weekend and a nice week stretching out ahead of you. Cheers!

Last edited:

Apricot

senior
Country
I'm all in favour of a DRY RUN. :heehee:

Must admit I haven't dared to try a bath yet....

Yes she has helped with knees. That's what I origianlly consulted her about some years ago. She has kept me going when it has been dire. Has taught me how to tape one of them myself.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Km3453
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom