Guest viewing is limited

Bi-Lateral TKR's anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scar is what makes you a hero! Those scars are what separate us and are our badges of honor.

Anyway, the surgeon does what he must in order t get in and take care of what needs to be done. I have seen numerous scars from TKR's, and most are pretty similar.
 
Been frantically searching for a "comfortable" yet practical recliner chair to call my "relaxation station" at home. After reading all the posts about elevation and the importance of trying to keep toes above nose I am finding it difficult to kind a recliner that actually raises level to put a wedge or pillows under... any suggestions out there?? I have this weekend left to scour the city furniture stores, I know that it doesn't have to be in the house before I leave for surgery next week but I am sure my hubby would prefer I try it out...
 
Roxie, I personally really like power lift chairs---I have one and hubby has one. However, they are very pricey and very heavy because of the lift hardware. But I find them very comfortable. You can raise the leg section while still sitting upright and can then lower the back for a more prone position. You do have to lie back some to get "toes above nose". They will also almost put you in a standing position to get up.
Here's a picture to show the different positions.
[Bonesmart.org] Bi-Lateral TKR's anyone?
But again--they are expensive.
 
Roxie, I personally really like power lift chairs---I have one and hubby has one. However, they are very pricey and very heavy because of the lift hardware. But I find them very comfortable. You can raise the leg section while still sitting upright and can then lower the back for a more prone position. You do have to lie back some to get "toes above nose". They will also almost put you in a standing position to get up.
Here's a picture to show the different positions.
[Bonesmart.org] Bi-Lateral TKR's anyone?
But again--they are expensive.

Judy - Thank you! All the sites I went too I couldn't tell how far back the power lifts extended... You are a wealth of info... I will have to see if we can get one before I am home... the lift part will be helpful since I won't have a good knee to stand on, although hoping if I have in patient therapy before heading home I can get up from a chair by then... :umm:
 
I don't have a recliner but found that a system of pillows on the bed or couch worked pretty well. The couch was too low early on, though. I did get dressed every day even though I was using the bed initially as my station.
 
Well, we all know that there are more ways to skin a cat----and there are lots of different ways to get elevated---and folks here should create a solution that best fits their situation and pocketbook.
 
Hubby and I went shopping today and got a big oversize powered recliner... wanted to have room for my furry companions to snuggle next to me... borrowed a big wedge from a friend but after trying it out I think pillows will work better.. next on list is a raised toilet seat with hand grips, heard Walmart sells them.. I will brave the Sunday crowds tomorrow and go check them out.. getting close and realize how much I will appreciate my new knees when it's all said and done, been in alot of pain lately with the monsoon storms and moisture in the air... couldn't sleep last night at all... 3 more days...
 
Roxie, hang on to that wedge. It won't work on the recliner, but it will on the bed. I got a power recliner before my surgery, and while I'm glad I had it occasionally, I have spent 99% of my resting time on my bed with pillows or the wedge. In my house, a better place to spend my time and more comfortable for me than the recliner. I also got a large wedge reading pillow for supporting my back against the headboard. So hang on to the wedge an be prepared for both.
 
Janet once again you give me valuable advice... thank you! I wasn't sure where I would or will be more comfortable.. the new recliner we got is a oversized one, almost the size of my loveseat with a big leg rest, I figured if I was gonna fall asleep somewhere other than my bed this would be best, still wondering how I am going to sleep well on my back.. hopefully the medication will assist with that. :sleep:
 
Wow -- it came fast! 24hrs away... I am filled with so much nervous energy I wish I could go run it off, but I can't! I have to finish up my work today, get things settled for the next couple of weeks until I can get back online from home. I read the document on anesthesia and wondered if any of the other BTKR's here have input, the nurse called yesterday to verify medical records, etc and said I was down for a spinal, but it would be up to me and my doctor when I go into pre-op what they give me... would love to get input from any of you that had to be out for the longer duration..
 
Roxie I am only having one knee done and I will be having a spinal with sedation. Hoping that doing it this way vs general anesthesia will help afterwards. I generally get pukey with a general.

I have a recliner and I will be able to sit in it and recline, but no way I can get it back down. So I might wind up in the bed with the wedge more. Will have to see what's up afterwards.

Good luck tomorrow! And big hugs!
 
I had my BTKR on 7/24. I was told in advance it would be a spinal. I've had a few surgeries in the past, always general, they worked out fine. The only thing that creeped me out about a spinal anesthesia was the word "spinal", and sticking a needle in my back, etc. While I was in the area outside of the actual surgery room, where the anesthesiologists and other people were, I was delayed a lot (due to other surgeries before mine), and was talking to the anesthesiologist about my concern. Naturally I was told not to worry.

And I can say that what actually happened was that I don't even remember getting that spinal needle or anything. One minute I'm laying around waiting until it was my turn, the next thing surgery was over and I was in recovery. I knew from reading about it (either here or elsewhere) that due to the spinal I wouldn't be able to move my toes etc. right away, that was kind of weird but not scary since it was expected. I also knew that they would be able to inject additional drugs through there to keep the pain away for a bit more. That all really seemed to work for me, no problems.

As an aside, I do mean to write up my experience and post on here. I read a lot before my surgery and learned a lot. Things are going OK (5 weeks post op today) but things didn't go as I planned, or thought they would.

Good luck.

Howard
 
Howard do please write up your story. I like to read the good and bad so I am prepared either way. Hugs!
 
I was suppose to have an epidural, but that got cancelled when I had an allergic reaction to lidocaine (very rare). With no time for testing, my only choice was general anesthesia. Because of that, they had me on very strong drugs the first three days - too strong. And being one that has nausea issues, it was worse with the GA and the drugs. I was a mess. I would opt for a spinal or epidural with light anesthesia rather than the deeper GA if I had the option. I had bilateral knees done.
 
Yes thank you Howard, that does give me more relaxation on the spinal, I too just get a little freaked out by the idea of a needle near my spinal cord having had 2 spinal taps a few years ago and "leaking" after both I don't relish the idea of a spinal headache again!
I know I have a way over exaggerated plan to be "functional" 2 - 3weeks after procedure in order to work from home but I can't afford to be away much longer, don't have short term disability and will be exhausting whatever vacation and sick time I have.. my job allows me the ability to mobile and work at home so as long as I can type and talk on the occasional conference call I hope to be ok.
Would like to hear your story Howard, every time I tell anyone I am having both at the same time I get the "are you crazy??" but like I have heard here a few times.. 1 time in hospital, 1 time in recovery and 1 time away from work... plus honestly couldn't pick which knee would go first and then probably wouldn't go back for the other for a while!
ok - Deep breathing time! :-)
 
Great info Janet... thank you again.. :-) you continue to be a wonderful resource for me... :thankyou:
 
Roxie, here is an email I sent a few days after surgery:

"Hi, I think Warren hasbeen in touch. Ican barelystaya wake tofinisha sentance. I'm doing much bettrr all round Today. Justwan't toffopanote 8 could attettodo so. I gloi gtotnerehabtomorrow. I'll. E in touvh when I can!"

That was me on drugs! I improved on that quickly, but there was no way I could have done any functional work at two or three weeks. Short emails and posts was as much as I could read or write for several weeks. No concentration and too tired. You need a plan B just in case!
 
geez Janet That cracked me up... I actually understood it all! You have been so right and on the money so far ...
so plan B... I will tell my VP that I it may be Oct 1st before I am able to get back online.. and then depending on PT and my doc releasing me to drive not sure when I would be back in the office, I am not going to push myself too hard I promised my hubby..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom