Best Hip for running after THR

My OS shocked me last week at a follow up appt when he said it would be ok to eventually return to running and playing soccer if I wanted. I don't know that I will (and I'm not ready to try, maybe over the summer). It would have been easier if he had just said "no" as I was expecting lol. @sequin98 Like you I'm totally happy to just be walking normally with no limp again.
 
I agree @jaydub63
I've never been a runner, so it's easy for me to say I don't feel I'd ever engage unless I was running
from danger or a sudden downpour. I believe all I've read about running causing implants to
wear out sooner. My pre-surgery anxiety runs too high. Don't care to put myself through that if it could be avoided. Add to that, an additional recovery with its natural concerns and it feels like a no brainer to me. With that said, it's not my passion so I can sympathize with those who feel they are losing something that brings them great joy and pleasure. I feel it would pose a tough decision for them. I'll stick to walking :walking:
 
When I asked the OS I saw as a second opinion what activities I would be restricted from doing once healed, he said ‘No bungee jumping’! Of course he knew he was my second opinion, and one look at me and there’s no mistaking me for a runner.
I saw somewhere that running can significantly reduce the life of the implant. However, I can’t tell you how long ago that was written or what devices it based that opinion on.
Also, some people are fine with the knowledge that they may need to replace their new hip sooner. If you’re one of those people @CHD2015 , I’d recommend talking to your OS about what implications that can have on your now older body, what you’d be risking.
I’m curious to know what you end up deciding.
 
I was about two years post-THR when I started running again. I hadn't planned to go back to running and I'd never given much thought. Then, one morning, my calendar for the day was packed. No time for the gym but I really needed some cardio. It occurred to me that I could squeeze in a quick run before work and that would be done. So, that's what I did. Then I just kept it up.

I don't run anything close to the volume that I did when I was younger, but I do still get out there when I can. I've completed a few triathlons, a bunch of half marathons, and lots of 5k's and I'm still competitive in my age group.
 
As one who enjoyed running 10k's frequently, it was harder to loose the ability to WALK everywhere, not to have a death grip on the railing when climbing/descending stairs.Worry about parking close...
Yeah, it was a tough pill to swallow when my OS said no running. But this whole journey with OA has taught me about priorities. (and compromise)
It is a downer to give up running, but I will walk without pain, or a limp.:whistle:
 
Hi @CHD2015 ,
My surgery was in April 2015, and I've completed 2 full marathons and 2 half-marathon races. I've also heard that ceramic on ceramic is the most durable device, and that's what I've got. I'm not familiar with the brand names of the devices you posted since the brands in Germany are different.
If you want information and an exchange of ideas follow the hiprunner.com link. There is a useful forum, too. As far as I'm concerned, I resumed my running activities after 2 1/2 months, but at first just ran 1 km followed by walking. Run - walk - run is also what's exactly recommended for people with hip replacements. I also recommend that you increase the distance very very slowly during your training. I completed my first marathon after 1 1/4 years after my hip replacement and my second one last August. My speed is slow (my last marathon was 5 hours 3 minutes) but I manage with the long distance. I wouldn't be too ambitious and run too fast at first because that imposes more strain on the soft parts. They also advice against heel striking while you run and say middle foot and forefoot running is better. I would also not stick to running only but complement the training regime with other forms of exercise. Swimming, especially crawl swimming, is ideal. In fact, I've got a triathlon planned for this coming June - the Kraichgau Half Ironman in the country side near Heidelberg. Good luck with your marathon plans.
Best wishes from the Rhine-Main area (near Frankfurt)
Constanze
 
Thanks so much @CHD2015. I appreciate the feed back.
Could you tell me what specifically attracted you to the mini hip for high activity?
I thought (probably mistakenly) that the mini was for younger people looking to preserve bone stock for future revisions later in life.
I live in CT just outside NYC. I have a very bad hip and have prolonged this so long that I am now on two crutches at all times. Used to be a runner triathlete, tennis, hiking - extremely active.
I have done so much research that I think Im suffering from paralysis through analysis!!!
--Anterior, Super cap, mini posterior, cement, no cement, coc, cop, which company prosthesis, YIKES!!!!
To make matters worse my Cigna plan pulled out of my state as of 2018 so I am pretty much stuck with
connecticut insurance and surgeons.
This DR looks ok
https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-robert-kennon-389ck
He does 300 DAA per year with Oxinium on plastic. He apparently uses cement still in some cases.
No restrictions after surgery.
Opinions most welcome!!!:-)
 
Last edited:
As one who enjoyed running 10k's frequently, it was harder to loose the ability to WALK everywhere, not to have a death grip on the railing when climbing/descending stairs.Worry about parking close...
Yeah, it was a tough pill to swallow when my OS said no running. But this whole journey with OA has taught me about priorities. (and compromise)
It is a downer to give up running, but I will walk without pain, or a limp.:whistle:

I am pretty sure I will not go back to my pleasure jogging to try and help my left hip last longer. You are so right about priorities. I am hoping my right hip replacement makes my walking and stairs pain free. It is nice to know there are those who go back to running just to know it is a possible option if I ever need to move really fast.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom