THR Bens THR recovery and accountability thread

I actually stood on the leg at the instruction from the nurse.

Maybe with an Australian implant that is the protocol, to stand on the operated leg for thirty seconds? How cool you have a have an implant made in your country. Overall, you sound like you are doing really, really well. And two walks in a day, to boot! Very impressive.
 
I wasn't given any restrictions...however I put full weight on my legs "as tolerated".
Little trickier with bilateral...leaned on walker for first week for stability due to some dizziness and weakness.
Going into this recovery with no hard deadlines...listening to your body...will be your best course of action.
Hope today is a Good Day!
 
I had no restrictions on putting weight on my hip. My instructions was to walk - how much weight I put on walker or hip was up to me.
 
Sure, there were days where I leaned on my walker more than I should but the nurses were great in showing me how to the more I did, the less stiffness I had. It definitely gets easier.
I hope you had some good sleep last night.
thanks cricket. Got some good sleep last night and i feel much better today than yesterday even though there is a long way to go. Was much easier having a shower this morning. Just had the physio visit and she was very happy with my progress. Walked the whole hall way at the hospital and did some standing marching which has been added to my exercise regime
here’s hoping that elusive no 2 happens soon LOL
 
Last edited:
Absolutely flying today. Didn’t sleep to well but woke up fresh. Had a shower standing up and I’ve just had the physio appt. Going to tackle the steps with the nurses again later today and again in the morning with the physio then they are going to release me tomorrow morning.
My pain scale is down and I’ve dropped my oxycodone to 5mg every 6 hours.

csnt wait to get home and start recovering with my doggies :)
 
Sounds like you are progressing well. There is no place like home and especially if your doggies are waiting. I am sure they have missed you also. If you have any distance to get home, try to bring ice pack with you to deal with any discomfort.
 
All cleared to go home in the morning. The night shift nurse gave me a sleeping tablet to get me some rest tonight.

Here’s the picture that’s been giving me strength in these dark days and also a picture of my babies to give you them nice feels. Who’s been cutting onions in here
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bens THR recovery and accountability thread
    3D51802E-666F-47AD-914D-FE3E40FA1C5D.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 195
  • [Bonesmart.org] Bens THR recovery and accountability thread
    0FAE7A68-DAF0-400C-9FF9-8E738FBD68CA.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 186
Have a safe journey to be home with all your loved ones. They will be so happy to see you.

You have not mentioned ice much, maybe you do not need it, but I took some on the ride home to be more comfortable.

Hope you have a good night tonight.
 
Have a safe journey to be home with all your loved ones. They will be so happy to see you.

You have not mentioned ice much, maybe you do not need it, but I took some on the ride home to be more comfortable.

Hope you have a good night tonight.
Thanks and I can’t wait to be home in my own bed!

I’ve had almost continuous ice packs and heat packs while here.
The drive home is only 20 minutes so shouldn’t be too bad.
I had a terrible night though. Probably got a little ahead of myself and should have taken a bigger dose of oxy before bed. Had a sleeping tablet that didn’t work because they would not give me 2 tablets only 1. At 125kg one tablet is useless But they wouldn’t listen. I Got up in the middle of the night to go no1 and was in all sorts of trouble when I got back in bed. Must have twisted the wrong way because I was in 5/6 land again and it wasn’t pretty. Was too late to have another sleeper and I’ve had an upset stomach since as they gave me 10mg oxy to settle down. Finally got to sleep around 4 and then got woken at 6am by the cleaners vacuuming :(

3 hours till home time. As much as I’ve had an amazing experience under the nurses care here I cannot wait to have a shower and feel like I’m on my way out the door.

My next update will be a pic with the puppies all sooky with Daddy!
 
:wave:I hope you’re resting comfortably and I will look forward to your next update!
Wishing you a peaceful week at home in your own nest. :)
@B3nzaah
 
I Got up in the middle of the night to go no1 and was in all sorts of trouble when I got back in bed. Must have twisted the wrong way because I was in 5/6 land again and it wasn’t pretty.

So sorry about the pain and disrupted night. I found it to be learning process with a new hip.

I had to be so careful after surgery, because my surgical leg would twist and toe in, and it had not that done before surgery. Maybe because it was weaker? That was a big no no, to do with my new hip, I was told. (More pain.) I was told to try and keep my foot straight at all times.

It did get much better as my leg became stronger. I hope you figure it out.
 
It must be the pain killers as it feels so good to be alive right now.

Drive home was fine. I’ve settled in and my partner is fussing over me. According to her I’ve been trying to do too much already so she‘s set about 30 alarms on my phone to let me know when My meds are due, when I can get up for a walk and for how long.

i also live near the beach so it’s amazing to smell the fresh salt tinged ocean air. it’s about 25c today so fresh but I’ve got all the doors and windows open and I’m loving it.

1st picture is Ms Elizabeth (aka Dizzy). As you can see I have one sooky baby on my hands. It’s like she didn’t sleep the whole time I was gone and is now refusing to let me move while she tries to get some sleep.

In the background is my quiet boy Macho Man. As you can imagine Dizzy runs the house so In his own silent way he is also refusing to move.

2nd picture is my partner and it also seems like she has not slept much while I’ve been gone and is crashed out and softly snoring which is too cute. Notice the blanket due to the cold house.

I’m wide awake watching surfing videos on YouTube (please watch and skip straight to 10 minutes and turn up the volume to watch some amazing big wave surfing(I promise it’s good) .

I’m so grateful for life and I’m as snug as a bug in a rug(albeit with freezing Ice packs)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bens THR recovery and accountability thread
    7EBB6D2B-8680-47DE-B807-661E7E9DEAC4.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 187
  • [Bonesmart.org] Bens THR recovery and accountability thread
    2DD52E86-3083-4AA4-B036-3C82C9D489BA.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 173
Nothing better than getting back home to your own bed and familiar sights and sounds. Glad you are on the recovery side and have a well rested partner to aid you in healing. Hope sleep finds you soon. Sounds like you are doing very well.
 
I am glad to hear your pain is well controlled.

Sounds like you have a wonderful, caring partner, to help you through this journey. :friends:

Your dogs have missed you and are showing it! How wonderful to have all that love!
 
@B3nzaah :wave:
Hows is your recovery going? Would love to hear an update.
Hopefully all is going smoothly for you.. :flwrysmile:


HI Cricket, thanks for thinking of me. This forum has been a great help with my anxiety prior to the operation and post with the guides, information and the forum members support.

All I can say is thank god ive had this operation as god only knows what’s going to happen with the worlds health care systems with Covid19 and I’m certain that surgery like this won’t be happening much soon.

I’ve had a couple of minor issues with the wound healing and needing to have the dressing reapplied. Doesn’t help going for a drive shopping with my Mum on night 4 while high on endone, squeezing into her car and splitting the wound with the seat belt. Didn’t even notice till I went to try on some new track pants and had blood seeping out the dressing.

Picture this, 43yo son Had 64yo Mum freak out in the store dressing room no less, make a minor scene and took me back to the hospital. I then got scolded by the Nurse who redressed it so lesson learned.

Ive put on 7 kgs/20ish lb since surgery as my diet has gone out the window. Stocking up on household supplies and food for a potential Covid19 shutdowns hasn’t helped in that regard either.

Other than those little hiccups I could never have imagined that less than 3 weeks post surgery I feel almost normal again.

I was off endone on day 6 and stopped taking sleeping meds on day 8. They have me on aspirin for 8 weeks and they are suggesting Celebrex for another month still. I want to get if Celebrex ASAP so I can start fasting again. They said to take panadol as needed but I’m trying to wean off the 2000mg day I’ve been taking.

Most days I’m great but some days I’m sleeping in the afternoon as the body’s still a bit sore and I just seem to go flat. I’m finding my gluteus, quad and thigh muscles are really tight and I’ve got sore knees from hobbling about but I’m less and less reliant on my cane every day.

My work wants me to go back ASAP but I’m going to take the full 6 weeks off and go back after Easter weekend.

I was gauging my progress on a few things.

I could side sleep after about day 8 which was one of my major concerns.

In a modified sitting position I have touched my toes which is something I haven’t done in about 4 years. Cant wait till I can wash my own feet in the shower.

I’ve started throwing darts again.

I have been diligent with my physio and have an appointment Saturday to get my next set of exercises to start pushing the boundaries.

Still waiting on a time frame for my driving clearance

Lastly here’s a happy wound shot. I have 1 stitch that hasn’t dissolved and some padding on the end the seat belt hammered otherwise super happy right now


1584378691233.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Other than those little hiccups I could never have imagined that less than 3 weeks post surgery I feel almost normal again.

I am glad to hear you are doing so well, despite the mishap. Wound looks like it will be a nice thin line!

Many things are shutting down by me due to states of emergency at different government levels. I am prepared.

Stay safe, and keeping healing well!
 
Great update. So good to hear you are feeling more and more normal. It is the little things like touching your toes or putting on socks that really make me appreciative of the surgery and of course walking without pain.

Stay safe.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom