Guest viewing is limited

TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

@Catalien45 We all living in New York and New England -- so all within driving distance of one another. The fact no one wait around in a crowded airport made us feel more comfortable about the gathering. My mom is 94, so we all tested in advance, just to be on the safe side. It was worth the time to be able to be together.

Hope you do get to enjoy your family soon.
 
16 Week Post-op Report.

What an amazing journey this has been so far. I had lived with worsening knee pain for years, but was afraid to have a TKR. I tried every possible alternative to put off the inevitable -- cortisone injections, hyalornic injections, arthroscopic surgery. Nothing worked because my right knee was bone-on-bone.

I finally decided to take the plunge -- and am so grateful that I did.

Four months post-op, I am mostly pain-free for the first time in a decade. Sure, my knee still talks to me when I overdo it, it still gets stiff if I sit still for too long, and it still "clicks" when I walk.

But I CAN walk! I can climb a hill without pain. I can ascend a flight of stairs without stopping to rest. I can stand up from a chair without needing to push up with my arms. I can sit on the floor (and get up!) These are things I could NOT do prior to my surgery.

My recovery is still in process. There's more I want to be able to do again -- like sit cross-legged on my yoga mat, descend stairs without hesitating on each step, and take a long car ride without getting a stiff knee.

But it's important to stop and celebrate the success so far. My life is already so much better than it was four months (and one day) ago. And I know it will continue to improve.

Thanks to the BoneSmart staff and my fellow travelers for all the advice, ideas and support along the way. You've made the journey a little easier . . . and a lot more interesting!

:thankyou:
 
There's more I want to be able to do again -- like sit cross-legged on my yoga mat, descend stairs without hesitating on each step, and take a long car ride without getting a stiff knee.
All things that will come with time!!

Great report, @benne68 ! We have all come so far in a (relatively) short time.....
 
That's great news @benne68. I think it was about the 4th month of recovery on the LTKR when I started thinking about the RTKR. It is a fantastic feeling to get your life back. Congrats on the milestones!
:yes!:
 
Wow! . Congratulations, Benne! You’re a few weeks ahead of me, and throughout my journey, you’ve been a real source of advice & encouragement to me. I’m so excited to see this particular post. Just wonderful.
 
I think it was about the 4th month of recovery on the LTKR when I started thinking about the RTKR. I

Yep! Been thinking I should schedule an appointment with my surgeon to discuss timing. Based on my learnings with this first one, I want to do it in the summer. I can't imagine icing my leg for hours a day when it's below freezing outside!
:ice:
 
Yep, plus if you have an outdoor area you can be outside relaxing in the sunshine during recovery too! Can you tell I'm dreaming of spring/summer already? My first TKR was in late June and my second was in late Aug.....
 
20 weeks post-op today.

No big milestones to record, but there continue to be tiny improvements, and ADLs feel routine.

Long walks are easier -- up to 2 miles without needing to stop. My FitBit says my average daily steps this month have increased to >8000 -- and I've even hit 10,000 a couple of days. However, the frigid temps here are making my other knee ache more than usual.

Can't wait for the Omicron surge to recede so I can schedule surgery #2.
 
That's an awesome report @benne68. Small accomplishments is still progress and 10k steps is no small thing. I'm celebrating your recovery and hoping you get a surgery date soon.
 
5+ months post-op report:

Another month gone in a blink! Although gains are slower than they were in the early days, I continue to notice small improvements:
  • Gain without pain: My FitBit says I'm averaging >8,500 steps a day -- that's up from 8,000 last month. And, I broke 11,000 steps twice (without ending up on the ODIC bench.)
  • Stamina is coming back: This weekend, I spent 2 hours walking around the mall with my daughter as she shopped for a wedding party dress -- and I didn't need to sit down to rest once.
Small victories -- but important mini-milestones towards full recovery. :yes!:
 
Tomorrow will be six months from my TKR.

Achievement of the month: I am (finally!) able to descend a full flight of stairs reciprocally -- without hanging on for dear life. In fact, DH heard my steps as I walked downstairs this morning and yelled "slow down." He's right, of course. Don't want to risk a fall. :no-fin:

And, it's so nice to take a long walk and be able to enjoy the crocus and other early spring blooms around the neighborhood without worrying when my knee will give out!
Time to smell the flowers :flwrysmile:
 
:yes!: Congratulations!! That is a big achievement, I recall when in 2020 I managed stairs normally how I felt, you know then that all the hard work getting to that point is worth it xxx
 
Yay!! That stairs thing is a big deal! So happy for you. :yes!:
 
What a wonderful, encouraging post for all of us to see! And seeing the crocus... I think their beauty in all the bleakness of ending winter is a sweet reminder of our new knees emerging .... congratulations, Benne, I’m so excited for you,
 
Coming up on my 7-month knee-versary this week.

No major new milestones this month, although I did spend last Friday in NYC and was on my feet for hours -- walked almost 5 miles according to my FitBit. I was tired by the end of the day, but no pain in The Knee!
Guess I'm ready for summer travel. Woo hoo. :walking:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom