Guest viewing is limited

TKR Beachy in recovery<

Shortly after surgery, when I wasn't feeling that bad, I also had a bit of an 'accident' where I went to sit on a low couch with a heavy ottoman in front of it and not much space. When I fell/sat, my leg wrenched in what seemed to be a very unnatural direction. Hurt. Like. Well, you know. Had all of the same, "did I totally screw this up?" questions. Am guessing that most have that kind of moment that maybe makes us pump the brakes a bit, or at least be more careful on what we're trying to do.

Hang in there, @beachy
 
@Rhodyrhody .
I know each recovery is vastly different, but how long did it take for your knee to feel better after your accident?

At least I have game 1 to look forward to tonight.
 
@beachy so story to hear about your back step. Be patient, rest ice elevate, I know you know ...it took about 2 weeks for my knee to settle down after my first major back step. Groan...but it will improve...
 
@beachy, I finally had a chance to read your entire recovery thread. Thanks for writing about so many of the experiences that I (and others) have had or will have. Knowing that each of us doesn't have to go through this alone, and how we can learn from each other is priceless! As a bonus, I appreciate your sense of humor and thank you for several lol moments as I read your comments.
Although I knew we had the metal allergy issues in common, I don't recall knowing that you and I also share allergy to aspirin and NSAIDs. That was a recurring issues for years as my osteoarthritis developed, since I would get frequent suggestions about "just take some Advil" for my cranky knee to feel better.

No surprise, but I'm doing the Lovenox injections also. One of the hospital nurses who was showing me how to do this said, "First, grab a little real estate." My surgeon only wants me to do this therapy for 10 days, so that means only 2 more punctures to go. I've been more active than I expected, particularly since it's 52 steps each way from recliner to master bathroom (where commode is placed over toilet). That's definitely the best motivation to be up and moving!

I had to laugh especially after reading about your saga with the Poop Fairy. After that first post-op visit on Sunday morning, I've had two subsequent early morning visits (Monday and today) that were more dramatic. The lightbulb just went on about an hour ago when I realized that I had 3 days of IV antibiotics! No wonder I'm having diarrhea. Planning a little organic Greek yogurt this afternoon.

I've got more to write, but will plan that for later this afternoon. Time for a quick pee, and then a recliner nap before lunchtime.
 
Hi, @beachy I am sorry to see that you are still in pain from your setback. Let us know what the home health aide says. My home health aide was my PT person too.

Take care and rest, elevate and ice. Update when you can...
 
@Rhodyrhody .
I know each recovery is vastly different, but how long did it take for your knee to feel better after your accident?

At least I have game 1 to look forward to tonight.

Seemed to stay the same for a couple days, then it started being less noticeable daily...it took a couple weeks though. I looked a it as more of a guard rail than a set back :wink:.

Go Red Sox!
 
@beachy, go to Zazzle.com and search their site for knee replacement (I swear they have items for any event!). Some of their shirts are hysterical and when I ordered my husband's, I got myself a couple with motivational messages to wear to PT. ("Nevertheless, she persisted" is one of them). They also have some really great cards for any kind of joint replacement. I ordered a few knee and hip ones to have on hand since all my friends are falling apart. No - being re-conditioned.

BTW, don't underestimate the effectiveness of Tylenol. I always thought it was a "nothing" med that I took for headaches. You can take 4000mg./day. That includes any that might be in other meds you are taking so check on that first. Take two 500mg. every 4-6 hours. You will be amazed at the difference they make with your pain. It was a huge surprise to me and got me off the narcotics faster on #2.
 
My day in the ER
Buckle up boys and girls you're not going to believe this drama.

I have had a lot of pain since my little mishap on Sunday. Went back to 2 oxy 5mg each. Hardly touched the pain, but I persevered.


Jenn the home nurse comes by this am as scheduled. My pulse was high. My bp was high. She didn't like my color. I was 1 shade of gray. I told her about my Sunday Stumble. I have no appetite and am apparently weak from not eating properly. I was in pain and she knew it. So Jenn calls my OS, his pa calls me 2 hrs later and said OS wants me to go to ER for leg ultrasounmd to rule out blood clot. CT with dye contrast of lungs to rule out pulmonary embolism. Blood work to rule out infection. Still with me?

5 1\2 hrs later we're home. Exhausted. Hangry. Thirsty.
All tests were negative thank you Lord. The culprit? Pain not being managed properly after the Sunday Stumble. I was given morphine in the hospital and a prescription for enough to get me through tomorrow when I will call my OS for better pain management. My stupid fault...all of it. I should've called OS on Monday to tell him about the pain. I kept waiting for it to go away. I may still need xrays.

Fellow Bonesmarties.... If your pain is worse CALL YOUR DOC.
Excellent ER doc who served in Iraq same time my son was there. When He first assessed me he said "don't worry, I've seen a lot of pain and trauma and that's what I think is happening." . But he had to rule out the rest. He hugged me when we left.

Feeling better. Leg elevated. Ice. Food. Pepsi. Hubs has forbidden me to move.

The cherry on top.....soon as we come home to the precious little furball we notice that she puked all over the rug.
Welcome home!
 
The cherry on top.....soon as we come home to the precious little furball we notice that she puked all over the rug.
She was worried about you! :roseshwr:

I’m sorry you went through all that. :console2:

It’s the result of the current opiate crisis, and it certainly became a crisis for you. Surgical patients are not getting their needs met.

One of the reasons I’m trying to be content with my knee the way it is. I’m not in any hurry to do it over.
 
Thanks, Jockette.
It's mostly my own fault. And I didn't recognize the fact that the oxycodone just isn't helping. It's a pain med, it must work! Learned the hard way that's not always the case.
This Thursday is 2 weeks. Maybe that will be the turning point.

I hear ya about your knee. Hope the drama queen is behaving these days.
 
@beachy just caught with your recovery. Poor baby! I hope you continue to keep the pain in control.

And btw your are hilarious!

Hope you continue recovering!
 
I hear ya about your knee. Hope the drama queen is behaving these days.
It’s not happy. I just tore a closet apart looking for something for my son. But I found it!!!!! :dancy:

When we give it to him we’re going to make him sign for it. Maybe I’ll take a picture of him holding it! We haven’t lived in the same house for almost 11 years. You’d think he had all his stuff by now!

Oh well, he’s a good kid (34) and I love him. :roseshwr:

(and I did throw some stuff away while looking! :wowspring:)
 
@NanaBeach
I tend to put life's ups and downs in perspective. Is this the worst that's happened to me? Not by a long shot. Might as well look for the humor.

We must be twins! Metal allergies, Lovenox, nsaids ,beaches. The beach part is the good part.

Lovenox....the nurse did the first injection in the hospital. I still have a fading bruise about 3" round on "my real estate". It's not a difficult injection. I haven't bruised myself once. I have to do it for 30 days from date of surgery. That's a lot of real estate. Forgot to take it last night with all the drama.

My work background is retail sales and management. Lots of time on my feet. At the end of my career I was popping Alleve to get through the day. Messed up my gut big time. The knees won. I had to stop working.

You must get a strong probiotic in your system to counteract the antibiotics if you want the poop fairy to fly away home.
Hope you're feeling better everyday! I wish that for all of us.
 
So far, today is good. I'm taking morphine and oxycodone every 4-6 hrs. That's until OS or PA gets my message and changes it or keeps it the same. The combo is working but not meant for long term. They're in surgery all day and I'm sure I'll have a call by this evening. The "chain of command" is very good with this practice. So far.

Home pt is cancelled for ever and I'm delaying outpatient pt by a week. Suppose to start Monday Oct 29th.

From day 1 I've had very little bruising and swelling. I'm eating small amounts at a time and healthy snacking in between. Did anyone else crave grapes? Drinking lots of water. All day I & E.
That's all I have. Copacetic. No drama. Thank goodness.
 
Keep up the good fight! I love reading about your adventures in healing. And do not, repeat, do not start outpatient PT until you are firmly on the mend. :bignono: Mother bone will be watching you!:no-fin:
 
@Motherbone
Yes ma’am LOL! I’ve been warned! No worries, I learned my lesson the hard way. Yesterday happened for a reason because today this knee feels great.

The flex is so much better. The pain is controlled. There is very little heat around scar. I put my leg up onrecliner without assistance...didn’t even think about it. I’m feeling the drowsiness from the drugs but it’s ok.

I’m now convinced that newly operated knees have no business being in a pt program. At least mine doesn’t.
 
@beachy... oh wow, I had no idea you injured yourself! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you got everything checked out and it all came back with good results!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom