TKR Beachy in recovery<

Glad your feeling a little better! I should probably get a sock helper thingy..didn't use one last time but it was a pain putting those ted ugly stockings on lol.
 
Sorry the TEDs are such a pain. Not really sure why some of us get them and some of us do not. Differing risk factors or just individual surgeon's protocol? I wasnt told to wear anything so I didnt put socks on for over a month. Sockless slipons when i went out and otherwise barefoot. But that's the norm for me anyway in all but the coldest weather.
 
Protocols so different, i live in melbourne. Told to wear the stockings for 6 weeks plus injecting each night for 6 weeks a blood thinner. Stockings ok as compression helps with swelling. Started removing them from week 3 for daytime as i am really active, so not worried about clots. Am over the injections though, but will follow orders. Stockings fairly soft and easy to put on and off.
Suzanne
 
Groundhog Day 6

I think I’m doing pretty well. Or unremarkable LOL which is pretty good in ortho speak.

Pain is zero while elevating and icing. Bearing weight is ouchie. Maybe 3-4.

Just called in refill for oxycodone. We’ll see how that goes.
Yesterday I went 3:30 to 4hrs in between doses. Trying to lengthen time in between doses. 5mg x 2 =10 mg per dose. Taking 1000 mg Tylenol at 6 hr intervals. Seems to be working. I have to set my alarm for 3 am dose or I would sleep through it. Home care nurse suggested not setting alarm tonight for 3am dose. Take 1000mg Tylenol before falling asleep. Trying to avoid the breakthrough pain.

I got up from recliner to make instant oatmeal and put clothes in washer. Took all of 5 min.

I took a shower today with no problem. Hubs was my spotter.
Very tempted go outside for a few min. Perfect sunny cool fall day. But I will have to be content looking out the open window.

Drum roll please!!!
PT comes for home visit today. I’m picturing the scene from Wizard Of Oz where the wicked witch is riding her bike in the sky and screeching “I’ll get you my little pretty”. :rotfl:

Yesterday the knee swelled and hurt with walking. So I stopped walking. Bathroom trips only. Kept up I & E and today is much better.

So, not much to report.:shrug:
Just letting nature take its course and following the Bonesmart way. Praying it keeps getting better. And sending good thoughts and prayers to the Fellow Fiesties!

Day 6
Police put out APB (all points bulletin).
Poop Fairy MIA. Big reward.
Description: A poo with wings and a wand
 
Oxy is the nemesis of Poop Fairy. Ultimately Poop Fairy will win this battle, but... no one ever calls the battle fun. :gaah:

The first week is rough, so hang in there. Pamper yourself and take things as they come. You did the right thing to cut back on the walking. Just what's needed, nothing more, until your knee decides to settle down a bit more. Lots of elevating and icing. [I'm icing again, too, just my belly! Using my big knee gel packs again. :rotfl: Don't get rid of them. They come in handy!]

You might be surprised by PT. Some therapists are more akin to Glinda the Good Witch!
 
@SusieShoes
I pooped!!!! :egypdance::spin::yes!:
I swear, as soon as I posted the last that last time, I hobbled faster than a turtle into bathroom!

Sorry you need the ice packs again. And general sedation.
And you are right about taking things as they come.

I now feel that I have a team of caretakers that are quite good. Home care nurse is on top of things. My OS office is on top of things. And I’m hoping Glinda is, too. The rest is up to me. You hear such horror stories about TKR. Hope my recovery stays on it’s current track!

Feel better!
 
@Bismitmom1
She arrived!
We had a nice chat and she apologized for her tardiness or maybe she said turdiness.
She is BEHIND in her work with so many people needing narcotics for recovery.
I’m happy she visited you first. She promised she would make regular visits from now on. Her visit was brief but productive.
Thanks for sending her over!
 
@Kiwigirl62 the
The new compression socks are due to arrive tomorrow. My home care nurse wore the same ones when she was recovering from a non knee related surgery. They’re actually cute! But that’s not why I got them.
The hospital teds were hurting no mater how I adjusted them.

With the gentle ankle movements during the day and lovenox injections daily I should be ok.

The protocols vary hospital to hospital here.
 
In home PT. I was hoping the therapist ...Sherrie...would be a heaven sent Bonesmart aficionado.
Nice lady but the same, robotic, right by the books therapist. Knee was not happy before pt and got worse during. It’s been a swelling kind of day.

Right away: your knee should not be bent like that. She takes away lounge doc. Best to have pillow under ankles so knees remain straight.
Make sure you ice 20 min.
A bunch of questions from a check list.
Anything else she said I don’t remember. I’ve been married 46 yrs and know how to tune things out.
She timed me getting out of chair using walker to go 10 ft turn around and repeat.
Heel slides. Leg lifts. Other stuff. 3 x day.
ROM. 70 flex. I forget ext. I’ve forgotten the rest.
And I just don’t have the energy to educate her. At least she was nice.
 
I’ve been married 46 yrs and know how to tune things out.
hahahaha...........I get you with the tuning out things.
Personally, I'd have shown her the door! And never let her back through it! I'd have told her I disagreed and refused the pillow under the ankle as I put the LD back where I had it. Remember-she works for you and may only do what you allow. 20 min icing is barely enough time for the cool water to hit your knee. When mine came (the one time I allowed her in) I laid down the law before she said or did a thing. Then, I told her I was fine and didn't need any more visits when she called back. I have no problem standing up for myself, and will do so when necessary.
 
I really don’t plan on having any conversations with any PTs next time, but would love to have a plan B if I need it. My husband will be under strict orders not to let one in the house, if one should show up, especially against my wishes.

Maybe a sign on the door with the article “saying no to therapy, am I allowed to” printed out. :idea:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom