THR Bath transfer bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually use my walker in the shower to help me stay balanced. It might help you. Be very careful. They do have those hand rails that you can put on the inside of the shower, on the tile. Good luck


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They do have those hand rails that you can put on the tile.
Do you mean these - with the suction cups?
[Bonesmart.org] Bath transfer bench


I would strenuously advise people NOT to use these as they have a tendency to come off. Very dangerous if you're relying on the support.
 
Hi No these actually a mini rail that fits on the edge of the tub and is clamped both inside and out with a handle at the top. Some reach right to the floor on the outside and they are for guidance and have good customer reviews. I would not depend on anything like the picture you posted as they do not last long and should not be depended on for full weight bearing.
 
Hi @canoewoman!
You mentioned on another thread how you feel "mortified" about having a prosthesis in your body. I remember telling my husband (when I found out I had to have both hips replaced) that I felt as though I was having an amputation, but just inside my body. I don't like the thought that I don't have what I was born with inside my body either, so I try not to focus on it. We travel quite a bit and I'm not looking forward to explaining that I'm the Bionic Woman!
 
It is using part of your natural body and similar perhaps others who have had amputations or a masectomy. While these are life threatening and traumatizing events I feel quite uncomfortable with this inside me and just hope the body does not reject it. On the other hand my brother in law was in a motorcycle accident 38 years ago and they put a steel rod in his leg to hold it together and he only recently had it replaced and removed and somehow we never talked about it but I wonder how actually felt about this. He was only a teenager at the time and it was life threatening accident when a car hit him head on. In fact he was not expected to live but he pulled through and went onto marry my sister and raise a family. I dont think many health care providers or doctors ever discuss the trauma of having the joint removed and replaced with titanium or porcelain and the psychological impact. I do not want to even see the xrays post surgery. I saw them before and that was scarey enough. My grand daughter calls me the robotic gramma.
 
I had a fractured vertebrae in July, finally got off the walker about a month ago and am limping with my cane but I need a knee joint replacement now and thats early in the new year. The surgeon said my hip is really good and it feels much better but I have sciatic problems in both legs and some numbness and then pain so still on tylenol 3...then problems with my jaw and face.

My temples were in dire pain so had blood work as my MD thought it might be temporal arteritis which is serious but that was ruled out so now thinking its arthritis in the jaw joint or temporal tendinitis. I have been given lyrica but have not taken it. I am so afraid of new drugs and down to Tylenol 3 and an anti-anxiety drug from time to time.

BP is really good as is my blood sugar but the B12 was a shock. Out of all this a simple blood test never done revealed a serious vitamin B12 deficiency which may account for a lot of post surgery problems so have to have shots every week for the next year.

Most doctors don't do a B12 test and it should be routine. My MD did it because I asked and he was shocked too as he has the same problem. My second shot is tomorrow so hope I can feel better soon.

I am just happy to be done with the walker and its now just over 5 months since the surgery. I can do most housework myself now and bend over carefully and can get in and out of the bathtub to shower ok. No raised toilet seat anymore though I still sleep on my side which impacts on the sciatic pain so have to go back on my back again. It's still too sore to sleep on the surgical side. Also stopped physio for a while because work on the hip impacted on the back and work on the back impacted on the hip and so on. I just walk as far as I can every day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom