Guest viewing is limited

THR Bath transfer bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess all situations are different, and we all usually figure out a way within the restrictions we are given.
However, I have to express concern over people using a walker as a brace. I work in a seniors' facility, and I can't tell you how many I have found on their bathroom floor, after they have used their walker as a brace, but I can say that every
one of them was taken to hospital. Please - take heed and try not to do this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My reason for finding different methods was that it was completely impossible for me to use the shower bench alone. I couldn't wrangle it, and sliding my operated leg over the tub from a sitting position was painful, as it required me to lift it and move it from the front which is still more difficult for me than backing it in due to still experiencing occasional "dead leg". Which is when I tell my leg to rise up and it ignores me.
In my situation, standing is safer.
Each person must weigh cost and benefit based on abilities and logistics.
Of course a fall would be disastrous, for me I was more likely to cause injury to myself with the bench than without.
 
it required me to lift it and move it from the front which is still more difficult for me than backing it in due to still experiencing occasional "dead leg".
The answer is a leg lifter. Easy, peasy!

[Bonesmart.org] Bath transfer bench
 
Simplienne: Yes I think the walker can shoot out in front of you and may not be the safest thing to depend on. I can get the walker right into my son's shower as it is a huge shower and I use it to hold onto if need be but its more like security blanket and he or his wife adjusts all the water temperatures etc and then I step out myself and they bring the walker out so I can use it to get out of the bathroom etc.

I worry about this whole transition and am coming off the pain meds which I dont feel I need as much and am suffering some depression and a sense of hopelessness. My surgery was rather an emergency situation so no time to get my head around the post op period in a way that would be prepare me but not sure it would help anyway and this is a lot to ask of someone to recover from this kind of surgery. I am not downplaying other life threatening illnesses but I am completed frustrated by not being able to be mobile without fear even with all the horrible pain before the surgery.
 
I worry about this whole transition and am coming off the pain meds which I don't feel I need as much and am suffering some depression and a sense of hopelessness.
Depression is perfectly normal after major surgery and is unlikely to be because of the pain meds. You're only 5 weeks out yet so stop being so hard on yourself and expecting to get going with life! It will all come in due time but much better to achieve it slowly-ish and not end up with long term problems such as poor ROM and aches and pains. Give yourself lots of TLC! You deserve it!
 
Thank you for your kind words. I have never been hospitalized save for my son's birth 40 years ago and have been the caregiver and looker after to many for years. I find that friends and extended family were there the first few weeks with calls and emails and have pretty much dropped off the map now. I know they have lives of their own but its hard when you live by yourself. I hate the evenings and nights most. I went to my sons today for a shower. His wife picked me up and brought me home as they had a birthday party to go to with one of my grand daughters friends. I loved being near the grandchildren. I also have an 8th month old grandson and it was so great sitting on their porch in the sun afterwards and having a decaf but as soon as I got in the door I burst into tears. Comes out of no where and I hope it passes soon.
 
Hi, @canoewoman -

I hope you are finding this site helpful and for you to know you are not alone. :console2: I had my THR the day after yours, on the 17th, if yours was on May 16th as it indicates in your signature. I have been up and I have been down. And it's all perfectly normal! Now when you are feeling down, I understand knowing it is normal may not feel very helpful at the time. But it is normal. It's okay to admit that things are sometimes frustrating, isolating, depressing, and just plain stinky!

But I hope you've also had glimmers of hope too - little slivers of sunlight peeking through the clouds. How about the relief of just knowing the surgery is behind you? Yes! :yes!:And think of how far you have come since surgery - do you feel any strength returning? Has anything become a little easier? Are you having less pain as compared to the pre-surgery pain? These are all things to remind yourself of and celebrate! I don't know what your pre-surgery condition was, but you will have better days. With this being your first hospitalization other than giving birth, and with it being what you say an emergency situation and not having a lot of mental pre-preparation time, I imagine it has been overwhelming. I have a confession of sorts - I had two hip surgeries prior to my THR, plus another surgery for something completely unrelated, and I had probably more than a month to prepare for my surgery - and I was still overwhelmed at times. Heck, I AM STILL overwhelmed at times. If I've learned anything the last few weeks is that feelings change and pass. The low ones, the high ones, they change. If you find that the lows are not changing, and that you are consistently and pervasively staying low, and you are not enjoying normal things you usually do, I would really urge you to speak to someone.

You mentioned you have generalized anxiety disorder. Are you currently taking anything to help with it? I don't like taking medication, but sometimes it is necessary, and that is why it exists. If you aren't taking anything currently, then consider it as it might give you the little boost you need mentally to face each day and keep the "wolf from the door" if you know what I mean. If you are taking something, maybe it should be adjusted. I am not a medical professional at all, so please consult with someone who actually is before making any changes. But I feel like I understand some of your anxiety and concerns as related to the hip replacement.

You mention an upcoming follow up appointment with your doctor. I have one soon too. I agree that the surgeon isn't always the best one to ask the "coping with a new normal" type lifestyle questions. My surgeon is talented and polite, but he is direct and brief. One moment he is sitting, and the next moment it's as if he's heard a starter's pistol and he has leapt from his seat and is out the door. I'm left thinking, "Well, all-righty then!" Have you tried the doctor's nurse or the doctor's office as a resource? That has been of some use to me.

Be patient with the process. Be careful and prudent, but not overly fearful. Be kind and forgiving of yourself. Be proud of what you have already accomplished. Be hopeful of the easier, happier days to come. If I had those all figured out, I'd send you the step by step instructions. :wink: I hope it does help some that you know that others have worked through this, and others are currently working through this like me. It ain't always easy, but it ain't a permanent situation.

Peace, healing and comfort are wished for your body and mind. :loveshwr:
 
Thankyou. Today was the worst day. Cried all day. Had continual bowel problems and I think its a side effect of coming off dilaudid....what a rotten drug and no real experience with it. I was awake most of the night with insomnia and then fell asleep and woke up with terrible pain in my left knee (which needs to be replaced too) and just took 2 regular strength tylenols and got back to sleep and the pain was gone so maybe thats all I need but I am impatient for results even in the best situations so this is challenging me a lot. My surgery was May 12 but I do feel better and actually got a little walk down the hall with my cane which is a first but its the bowel problems, the fear of being stuck like this for a long time and being alone that does not help. I don't know how you got through all those surgeries and 2 hip surgeries is so much to ask of a person so you are brave and strong for sure. Thanks again for the support. I do appreciate it.
 
@canoewoman - sorry today wasn't great. I hope the coming week has things looking up. I get what you mean about things being worse when you are physically alone. Keep plugged into this community.
 
@canoewoman im sorry to hear you've had another bad day. Please be assured, you're not on your own. BS is a great place to come, as they are the people who truly understand how you feel.
I had bladder problems post surgery, and for two weeks I thought I was going to be in diapers for ever, and it was truly humiliating. It did get better, and I dont need the diapers now.
As for the bowel problems, I'm here to tell you that figs work wonders!! Do try them.
It is a slow recovery, but you will get there.
 
Its diahrea that is the problem and its from coming off the hydromorphone and is common and I had no idea it was so powerful as to cause withdrawal like this and I am also nauseated and very depressed. I have been on it for about 5 weeks and been tapering off and am now on 1 tablet at night and its only 2mg but need to ask my doctor this week when I should go cold turkey. The pain has subsided and I can cope but now its this problem and ues bladder infections can also be very troublesome and stressful. Thanks again for your support.
 
Oh I'm sorry @canoewoman i didn't realize. Well, yes the meds can do that. I was on morphine for my back, and was totally sick of the meds messing me up so I stopped taking them - big mistake!! My Dr had me take a month and reduce the dosage gradually, then it was ok.
Let's ask @Cynthia777 if she will give you her formula for reducing pain meds ??? It's really good and does work with fewer problems.
 
I also experienced the downer feeling and I had sweats while cutting back (loose stools a few times too). So what I did was drop just 1/2 a pill every few days (drop another 1/2 when you don't notice that down feeling anymore). Like what @Simplieme's doctor suggested, I took about a month to get off 3 pills a day (after my first THR). This time I've gone a little slower because I had been sent home with morphine tablets and Percocet. I've been off the morphine for about three weeks now and I'm down to 1 and 1/2 Percocet a day. The secret for me was, VERY slowly cut back and according to how I felt. Hope this helps.
 
Have submitted samples as my MD wonders if its a bacterial infection or parasites picked up in the hospital as its been going on since i got home. The surgeon checked for C. difficile which happens with the high dosage of antibiotics but nothing showed up and when he called he said everything was ok but my MD said they did not check for the other problems so had to cab to an independent lab to submit samples and now I have to wait. I already cabbed to the hospital to do the C. Difficile check sample and all this costs so much money when you are on a fixed income as a pensioner. I have spent a lot of money of meds and we do have 70% coverage by the government health plan but still the difference is adding up.

It can take up to 2 weeks to grow cultures so if the surgeon had done this 2 weeks ago I would know what could be wrong by now and then get some treatment. Its miserable so am on a prescription anti-diar. med when needed as I am getting dehydrated. At least i can walk a couple of blocks. Also I tried the bath transfer bench myself on my own yesterday and managed but has to be lowered so my son is coming to do that as i cannot manage the buttons. I felt better than I could get into the shower myself and out. Now the surgeon will tell me next week if any restrictions are lifted. I hurt all over though and have bruises on my legs from bumping stuff and thats the result of the blood thinners which I am just coming off now. Terrified a clot will happen although no history of this. I worry about all this all the time. I guess its my anxiety disorder but when you are on your own its worse I feel.

Thanks again for your support.
 
I wish I had words that would bring you comfort, but I don't think it would help. Being alone can be VERY difficult in and of itself. You sound so lonely and I'm wondering if your local church may offer a home visiting program? Sometimes just having an ear to bend can be very therapeutic. I'm so sorry you're dealing with so many "what ifs". Sometimes journaling can also be very helpful and including any and all little triumphs might help you focus on the positives. Hope this helps. Big hugs!
 
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all the travel and wait times. Hopefully all will get sorted so you can get to feeling better soon. We're thinking of you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
Thankyou everyone. Its the bowel issue I am most concerned about but then I could be going through withdrawal from the hydromorphone but am down to 2 mg at night for the past 7-8 days and thats it so then will try half for a week or so and then go to tylenols. I had no notion of this being a problem. I was given a month supply of the drug so really no one told me to do anything than every 6 hours or so. Honestly I would never make a good drug addict. I absolutely hate drugs but the only one I take is for blood pressure and thats been really good throughout this and thats all I want. I need knee surgery after this but wont face that till I am good and ready. My MD gave me a script for a cream to rub on the knee , a topical analgesic that is like aspirin and it worked and only with one very light application so some relief there as thats the other problem.

Once the hip is healed I have to contend with a very bad knee and a replacement and can't even go there to think about that right now but it will have to be done. I dont know how some of you have gone through so many surgeries but I have been putting that off for about 6 years so the hip came as a shock as it was only about 10 months of problems.

I do however not feel so depressed so maybe that was a hurdle with withdrawal and has passed. I got into the tub on the bench again this evening on my own and showered standing up and then sat down to rest and then stood up to finish off and then sat down to get off the bench and up on the floor out of the tub. I felt good about that and was not shakey or in any pain. So this is midweek 6 and now to walk without side to side gait and use my cane instead of the walker and get the bowels back to normal is the next goal. I thank you all for your thoughts and while I live alone my son and family are nearby but he is incredibly busy with his job and his wife is just back to work after maternity leave and they have 2 very young children so they are so busy with those children and I do not want to put pressure on them. They have been really good back and forth helping out, taking me out at least once a week to dinner or to their place for a meal and the use of their shower on the main floor so I cannot ask for more. Some church friends offered to come over but I have no real energy to entertain right now and just the support worker coming twice a week zaps me. She is excellent with light housework, laundry, shopping, accompanying me to the MDs etc and the shower but she is chatty and friendly and by the time she leaves I am tired.

Once again many thanks.
 
@canoewoman- it is so good to hear that a bit of the depression is beginning to lift and that you have been able to use the shower bench! Yea, you! You are doing it! There's just no comparison to having a real shower, is there? Ahhhhhhh. :)

You know how you felt more stable in the shower today? I've found that's how recovery works- it seems like one day something is better that was just recently a challenge. I want you to be encouraged by that. It's why we can't give up! Feeling some of my strength return has been great for me mentally.

Try not to think too much about your needed knee repair work right now. I think it's too much taking it all on at once. Deal with what's at hand for now.

It is good to know you have potential resources for help. I know these aren't without limitations (such as a busy family) and there are frustrations (such as the Chatty Cathy), but remember some of the help you need is only temporary. Don't short change yourself of assistance if it helps you get over a bump in the road.

I'm one of those people who love to help but feel awkward being helped. I don't even know why really. Maybe it's pride, or being stubborn and refusing to admit I don't have the situation fully in control. But help does help. And maybe it's your turn to partake. It doesn't have to be a major sacrifice on someone else's part to make both them and you feel better. Then, when you are well again, you can pour into someone else's life who needs it. Imagine babysitting your grandchildren while your son and daughter in law get a date night out, for instance.

Maybe people need a little guidance of how they can help you, what exactly they can do and when. I don't think your church family would expect to be entertained. You've had a big surgery, so it's not like you're expected to channel your inner Martha Stewart right now by fashioning table settings and dressing individual Cornish hens. Ha Ha

They may want to help and would feel blessed and helpful in helping- so let 'em help I say, with a little guidance if needed. You may even want to suggest talking on the phone if you aren't up for a visit. Whatever will help sustain you and promote your healing and wellness.

Do you like listening to music? Do you have any headphones or earbuds? Have you ever listened to any meditation or guided imagery? I used a relaxation cd before surgery and it was quite useful. The speaker's voice and the music and the deep breathing and the visualization of other things helped shake me out of anxious moments. I thought this suggestion may be helpful for you. You don't have to have headphones, but that could be a friendly "barrier" of sorts to shield you from some of the over-stimulation of your support worker. You could say "Let me know if you need anything- but it's time for me to listen to my audio exercise as part of my recovery."

Things will continue to improve. Give yourself credit for how far you've come already. The issues that brought each of us here usually don't occur overnight, so naturally the recovery doesn't happen that quickly either. But a breakthrough may be as close as tomorrow, so hang in there!
 
@canoewoman , You have had a lot of good ideas and wisdom here, and hopefully feel a little bit less alone. That really is the worst feeling.

I want to add to those who have suggested going as slowly as possible to discontinue the opiates. Go even more slowly! Here is why, but first my disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor!!!! Or a nurse. I am however a therapist, and much of my practice is with those with opiate addictions. And also with the general population for issues such as anxiety and depression. So that is the perspective I share with you.

Since no one told you about cutting back slowly on the opiates in the first place, probably no one mentioned that one of "withdrawal" issues is OFTEN... you guessed it....Anxiety!

And you already have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

And, you are isolated and lonely and have been in pain, which often contributes to....anxiety and depression.

So, anywhere you see the words to slow down, be super gentle with yourself, get all the help you can get, take it in!
When we are helping clients through detox from medication assisted treatment, we go very very slowly, and sometimes a person will need to hold at a really low dose for a bit longer, and reduce in what seems like ridiculously small amounts. Everyone is different. There is just no benefit to rushing it and being miserable!

Just my 2 cents worth!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom