THR Bassetmom RTHR recovery progress

Bassetmom

Country
United States United States
Hi all, my first post after finding this incredibly helpful site (I wish I had found it before my surgery and will recommend to others!)…I had a RTHR on 4/16 and am in day 11 of my recovery. I received a very informative packet from my surgeon’s office pre-surgery that has helped me know in advance what to expect post-op, but reading what others are going through has been super helpful. The materials say (and it was reiterated at my post-op appt with my physicians asst) that the first 2 weeks are the toughest so I’m hoping that once I get beyond that timeframe my progress with increase a bit quicker.

Surgery was outpatient at a surgical center so no overnight stay. Didn’t have any issues with the surgery procedure itself, had spinal anesthesia with no grogginess or nausea in recovery and they had me up on a walker fairly quickly before I went home. Later that day I was using the walker at home, thinking this is a breeze! Then days 2/3 came and it all definitely got real…I read the term “log leg” on this site and it’s accurate, the heaviness and tightness i feel in my leg is crazy. I’m on day 11 at this point and that feeling has started to subside a bit (been icing and elevating like crazy) but I still have lots of soreness/pain across the top of my lower thigh if I try to bend my knee the slightest bit. From what I’ve read on the site, it could be my IT band that has no doubt been through much surgical trauma.

I had adhesive muscle stimulus items on my upper calves post surgery (Geko devices), and had to wear one on my right leg for 7 days. This combined with the thigh high compression stockings I was instructed to wear for 2 weeks and the daily aspirin for 3 weeks to prevent blood clots. I am seriously going to celebrate when I’m done with the compression stockings, they have been one of the worst elements of the recovery process!

I know each person’s progress is individual but I can’t help thinking about what a few friends have said about their recoveries, one who said she had no pain after surgery/recovery (how is THAT even possible??!) and one who drove at day 7 (although he had his L hip done). Driving is definitely my goal at this point.

My surgeon doesn’t prescribe PT until after 2 weeks so I don’t start until next week. I’ve been fine with that since I’ve read here about the danger of over-doing it with PT, and I had been going to PT since October before I knew surgery was going to be the only option for the osteoarthritis in my R hip and continued until the week before surgery so hopefully I’ll regain strength a bit quicker.

I’m using a cane mostly now but the first step out of bed to go to the bathroom definitely still requires the walker. That is the worst time of the day when my leg feels like there is a huge lump of wet cement that then slides from the top of my leg to above my knee. I really wish I was able to accurately describe to friends and family who ask how I’m doing what my leg feels like in those moments (also after I’ve been sitting/icing). Just trying to raise and lower my leg onto an ottoman or getting into bed is painful even with assistance equipment! Most of the pain I’ve had since surgery has been in different areas of my leg, not in my hip area. But getting incrementally better, slowly.

I have been walking around the house and out back in regular intervals and have recently taken a few short trips to a store with my walker to do some smooth walking (easier that trying to push the walker on street/sidewalks). Have even ventured out in a store with my cane the last day or so for short walks.

A note on equipment, I’m very thankful I got a raised commode, a leg-lifter strap, a cane and a grabber ahead of surgery, they have all been incredibly helpful during this process. I don’t have an ice machine, I have a neoprene hip/thigh ice pack holder that you can pump air into for added compression that my surgeon suggested. If anyone is interested I can send a link to any of these items.

It’s not like things are getting much easier by the day but there are moments when I think “oh, I was able to lift my leg up with my hands a bit easier” and times when the stride of my right leg moves more naturally (as opposed to having a bit of a limp) that make me think progress is slowly happening.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences (the highs and the lows), it is much appreciated since I wasn’t sure what the reality of recovery was going to be like.

Kim

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Bassetmom! :wave: Glad you found us while you are still early days in this recovery. I will share our Recovery Guidelines with you. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Good nutrition is very important during recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

The experiences you describe sound completely normal for the first couple of weeks of recovery. I'm glad you've found the community here on BoneSmart helpful.

I had adhesive muscle stimulus items on my upper calves post surgery (Geko devices), and had to wear one on my right leg for 7 days
You are the first member who has mentioned using the Geko and we'd be very interested in hearing about your experience with it!

I’m using a cane mostly now but the first step out of bed to go to the bathroom definitely still requires the walker.
Don't push yourself to get off the walker onto the cane. Many of us used our walkers for a month (or longer) during recovery. One problem with switching to the cane too soon is that is can affect your gait, causing a slight limp. During these early weeks of recovery, it's much more important to focus on getting back to a normal heel-toe gait than it is to shift away from the walker.

one who said she had no pain after surgery/recovery (how is THAT even possible??!) and one who drove at day 7 (although he had his L hip done).
I heard similar stories -- I think the storytellers might have had short-term memory loss. :wink:

Slow and steady is the best way to have a successful recovery.

Again, welcome! Let us know how we can help.

If you're going to a store you can use a cart, it's better than a walker. Since Covid it's more of a normal thing but my THR's were pre-Covid so hand sanitizer and other precautions weren't thought of. Post-op we're pretty susceptible to anything so take precautions. I got a good cold and sinus infection early on with my first probably from doing my PT walking in a superstore.

I don’t know my way around this site too well so don’t know how to pull out the part of a response that I want to reply to, but regarding the Geko device you wear it just below the knee and it delivers electrical impulses to the common peroneal nerve to activate the muscle pumps of the lower leg that returns blood toward the heart. I had to wear one on both legs going into surgery and then post surgery on both for about 1 1/2 days, then on the leg I had surgery on (R side) for another 5-6 days. They work off of a battery, when the battery dies you replace the whole device with a new one. It’s the size of a wrist watch (or an Apple AirTag with adhesive strips coming off each side). You can adjust the level of stimulation, but they want your foot to have a light twitch consistently. I have to say, it wasn’t horrible but after a few days, the twitching was a bit annoying, especially when trying to sleep. I wore the device in conjunction with compression stockings that went over it. You can turn it off and remove to shower (and put on again). I definitely appreciated another tool that helps to prevent a blood clot. If anyone wants to look into them the website is gekodevices.com.

Thanks for sharing that info on Geko, Bassetmom!
I will leave a link with explanation to using the quote feature in case you're interested in using it in the future.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

How to use the quote feature

Thanks @Layla, I read through the instructions and got a bit overwhelmed with the process, but will give it a try.

Welcome BassetMom, You have found the right place to share your experience & ask questions.
Sounds like you are coming along.
You will reach various "milestones" during recovery. One day you will do something you couldn't do last week or 2 days ago & surprise yourself.
And Eman's suggestion to use shopping cart helped me immensely!
I wish you the best.

I am brand new to this forum. I had my left hip replaced on 4/16/2024 so I'm on day 12 now. I'm feeling like I'm behind on my recovery as compared to others I know that have had a hip replaced. Most people I've talked to have been pain free and fairly mobile at 2 weeks. I'm still relying on my walker and cane at all times. I can get anywhere in my home I need to including up and down stairs but I don't feel like I've got much control over my left leg at this point. I have weaned off of the narcotic pain meds for the most part and am relying on Tylenol and ice as my pain management means. The only pain I experience is when I am up and moving. There is still some swelling and tightness. I am just searching for others going through what I am to see if I'm as far behind on my recovery as I feel.

I have noticed a definite increase in discomfort on my operative hip and leg in the last day or so and wondering if it has to do with taking the last prescribed Celebrex yesterday AM…? In addition to Tylenol, I was prescribed it for 10 days post op but am now done with it (continuing with the extra strength Tylenol), has anyone else experienced this? I am going to reach out to my surgeon’s office Monday (these things always seem to fall on a weekend!) to see about an alternative OTC medication I can start taking that may help me feel better, I feel like I’ve taken a step back in progress currently.

@Bassetmom and @dkhip1 - Have you increased your exercises or physical activity in the past few days? If yes that might be a factor in increased discomfort and stiffness. Also yes having to stop prescribed pain medication might also be a factor. IMO the medical community has gone from over prescribing narcotics to under prescribing them. It takes much more time than one realizes to heal from having joint replacement surgery ... and any other kind of surgery for that matter. And any/all reports of folks making miraculous recoveries - such as having no pain after only 2 weeks or walking without any aids right after surgery - need to be taken with a very hefty dose of skepticism!

And yes bassetmom these concerns do tend to come up on the weekend or holiday - :gaah::hairpulling:

I have been more active and up & down steps this weekend. I took it easy all afternoon so we'll see how tonight goes. Maybe I was just hoping that I'd be one of those people with the crazy fast recoveries?? I don't think being laid up has been much help with my mental wellbeing either. I went in super positive about the surgery so I guess I just need to get back to that positive mental attitude and let things happen instead of trying to control the outcome. I really appreciate your comments and advice.

I can comment from my experience with my first knee replacement. I was taking anti inflammatories diclofenac and paracetemol (tylenol I think in the USA), After about a month I was comfortable and so stopped taking the diclofenac and then I got worse. Advice from this forum said restart the diclofenac, so I did and I got better. I took it for another 2 months and then stopped by which time I was good.

Are you icing often and long enough? I didn't use much in the way of any over the counter pain relief once I stopped the prescription pain meds. Ice was my go to morning noon and night, gave the best relief.

alternative OTC medication
Over the years I have had to take many pain meds for arthritis pain. Celebrex is my favorite but OTC Naproxen works about as well but potentially harder on the stomach. Both are NSAIDs and can be combined with Tylenol. All the pain meds have toxicity issues so one must be careful with long term use.

Last edited:
@Eman85 yes, I think I’m icing enough but will try to up it a little more. The pain seems to be slightly different re: locations from day to day, except my knee and the back of my lower thigh, it’s consistently there. I am getting a refill of Celebrex today so hopefully will be feeling better.

Icing guidelines are in the recovery links, you can't ice too much just keep ice pack off of skin. I iced anywhere it hurt and everywhere it felt good.

Day 14 of my recovery…has anyone experienced pain on the back of the lower thigh/knee area? I feel like someone has hit me with a metal pipe on the back of my leg. I iced my hip/knee for almost an hour before I got out of bed this AM and walked for a bit with my walker but had to stop after about 8-10 minutes, my whole leg feels very fatigued, more than it has to this point.

has anyone experienced pain on the back of the lower thigh/knee area
Yes! All of the muscles and soft tissues in your leg were affected by what happened during surgery. Different muscle areas up and down your leg and into your back (and even your other leg!) will complain--often loudly--for weeks and months to come.

I found this chart really helpful in understanding how long it takes our bodies to heal from the trauma of surgery:

1652123217285.png

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKA TROUBLE