Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bashbago on the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice the back of you knee and your ankle. Most of the nerves run through the back of your knee and will respond to icing. Be sure you have a cloth between your skin and the ice.
 
McConnel Taping might help very much, actually. As for your knee, I trust you are icing the back and sides of your knee?
 
@Josephine I a not sure what McConnel taping is. I learned taping from a class taught by a man who taped Olympic athletes The one I was thinking of using was a basic 8 pattern used to support previously injured but healed ankles. I iced the back of my knee and ankle earlier today will do it some more today.
 
You need to ice the back of your knee every time you're icing, which should be at least 4 times a day, for 45-60 minutes each time.
 
I found icing the back of my knee to be absolutely delightful! If you think about it, it makes alot of sense due to all of the soft tissue back there. I know it is overlooked by many who just give themselves cold knee caps, but miss the sides and back where all of the swelling is. I wore an ankle brace for awhile as I sprained my ankle post op, and that might be easier than taping it, and less expensive than using all that tape.
 
I'm so sorry you are dealing with ankle issues as well. I did staged knees ten weeks apart. With my second knee I had pain in the back of my knee from day one. The first knee not much at all. I am 12 weeks tomorrow and the back of knee pain is mostly gone. I still ice the back of my knee on occasion even now. I'm lagging behind a bit because I had an MUA and hopefully yours won't last that long!
 
MY PCP sent me to the ER after suffering chest pains in her office. Luckily after a stress test and an echo cardiogram they found no heart problems. I have these chest pains once in a while and normally would not have gone because the pains quit after 2 nitros. Thought it might set me back a bit, but am only a little more stiff. Not too much problem in PT today. Tried the bike for the first time, and did not make around backwards or forwards. Graduated to cane for walking!
 
Glad it was nothing serious. Has your doctor checked you out for gastric reflux? I have that and went to the ER with the first attack because it felt like a heart attack. Congrats on walking with just a cane! Doesn't it feel good?
 
@bashbago welcome to the recovery side of things. The nurses in the hospital told me when I got to a 4 to let them know, so that it was never out of control when I told them. My pain has been well managed. Sorry to hear about your ankle. I loved PT, I am sure you will enjoy it. Hope your recovery goes smoothly.
 
@SusieShoes I was diagnosed with Gerds years ago, and I know it was not that. My younger sister and one of her sons have been diagnosed with narrowing of the esophagus ( darn can't spell that). So I will talk to my gastro doc about that. @JJ65 I have been doing well in PT. Had some change in the exercises with emphasis on strengthening quads. Got on the bike for the first time but could not do forward or backward pedaling, so will be working on that challenge. Graduated to cane and practiced walking with it, but was already experienced with it.
Being plagued with nausea in the mornings, I already am taking a prescribed Pepcid pill. Nausea gradually subsides after an hour or two.
 
I have GERD and take something daily for it. Last year I was shopping with a friend in another city when suddenly I had chest pains. I treated it as I do for GERD--relax, breathe, drink some water slowly--and it didn't improve but got worse. I found myself in an ambulance on the way to the University of Michigan hospital. Tests showed no heart problems, but through a CAT scan, they found a spot of pneumonia in the lower lobe of my lung. Evidence that pain can be referred!

If you have another incident soon, and/or start feeling "peculiar" (I realized that I had just not been feeling "right"), please get checked out more thoroughly. Many of us have learned that going through a TKR recovery period doesn't protect us from getting sick or having other physical problems! (Seems as though it should be a rule that we don't get anything else?!?! It would only be fair.)
 
It has been a while since I have posted. I have been doing well and the pain is greatly diminished and handled with Tylenol. I feel like I am doing very well for six weeks. I was able to walk up and down stairs in a normal manner this week.
 
Great report! I couldn't have done away with all the pain meds in 6 weeks, and I am still having issues with walking downstairs with decent form. Kudos to you!

:roseshwr::yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom