TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

My hemoglobin went way down after surgery so I took iron pills. When I got home after 4 weeks in rehab I ordered a product of iron plus vitamins from a compounding pharmacy, to help with absorption and easy on the tummy. Plus I craved steak and ate it unapologetically along with salad greens. Hemoglobin normal now.
Barnmom22 I love the idea of your taking the couch and patients in the chair. That will likely elicit all kinds of new info! The only thing to think about is whether you have the mental focus for your patients. The early part of this knee journey is a state of intense self absorption.
I had to drive back home to Victoria from Seattle 4weeks after my TKR ( passenger, not driver). I was worried, but my daughters car is a SUV with lots of leg room in front plus comfy back seat if needed to stretch out. We did 2 hours to Bellingham, overnighted there then 45mins to ferry, and hour and a half on the ferry. I surprised myself by being relatively comfy. I brought ice for the ride. The ride to your country place should be fine.
 
in Canada we have this lovely profession called foot care nurses. They come to your home, cut your nails safely, massage, etc, and whatever else your feet require. I've treated myself to this service several times and I know she used sterile instruments. Its not free, but worth it as a treat after TKR. I can just go get my nails polished at the salon.
 
@mamazipp foot care nurses? Wow. How civilized. I often get foot massages when I get a pedicure. My husband does too now that he's discovered it's less expensive than the copay to the podiatrist. And during this recovery he's been massaging my feet--amazing.

Your journey home was epic. I had a fifteen minute ride in the back of a Lincoln town car. So if you could do that I can withstand my measley two hour ride to the country.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Can I share a bit of a breakthrough this morning? Yesterday I was upset because I felt I had reached a plateau and couldn't walk without a limp. My knee just wasn't bending. This morning so far it is bending! Not as much as the good leg but enough that it's a small limp. I am encouraged. Another sign that the healing is happening in the background 24/7 and that patience rest ice and elevation rule the day.
 
That's wonderful! I am so happy you are making progress. These little breakthroughs will all add up.
Tabby xxx
 
Yep, I think with the back seat and ice you could enjoy time in the country. Nothing like sitting in the shade of a deck or patio instead of the same rooms you've been experiencing.
 
It is so uplifting and exciting when we can get the little improvements that mean so much. For me, it was being able to use a crutch at church instead of my walker and sitting in a normal seat instead of propping up on a pew!
 
Just keep on track, try not to overdo too much and you'll see little improvements in weeks. Read @Braunzie or @Wanttobebiking if you have a chance. Both are at their one year anniversary and are very happy campers.
 
Yea for you! I can't believe all you're doing - you motivate me to try more independence! I firmly believe that recovery is happening very quietly every moment within us, and we take notice when all these little improvements build up and start screaming at us to pay attention. Then we think - "hey, I'm walking without a cane!" or "hey, I'm bending my knee when I walk". I love those aha moments. Enjoy them when you notice, and remind yourself that they will come again when you're down and out.
 
I had my first outpatient physical therapy session today. I was so nervous it was silly. But I am happy to say it went very well. The pt is something of a tkr rehab specialist and has actually observed surgeries my OS has conducted. He measured my bend at 100 and said his goal would be 120. But he also felt that I should focus less on the bend and more on strengthening the leg muscles that have withered during the months leading up to the surgery. He did encourage me to massage my scar gently a few times a day and to get the patella moving gently. We are going to meet twice a week for three weeks and then evaluate needs. So with that under my belt I am leaving this apartment and this city for five days and can't wait to see water and not hear sirens. Hope all BSmarties are resting comfortably.

P.S. and I scheduled some work next week also. Not much, just five or six appointments to get the ball rolling. Won't they be surprised to find my leg up and icing!
 
I'm glad you feel confidence in your PT therapist.
Do remember, though, that your leg will start to strengthen itself with everyday activity and that you will need to start strengthening exercises very cautiously at first. We usually recommend no serious strengthening exercises until 3 months after a TKR and, even then, no weights or deep squats.
 
Glad to hear things are going so well for you Barbara and I hope your time away is just what your knee recovery ordered! I do second what Celle advised- it is SO easy to cross the line into overdoing it in the early weeks of your recovery. And it set me back several times when I did.

Let us know how things are going when you can! = )
 
Dept of little questions: I am 4?weeks past surgery. Do you think it's safe to swim in a very clean private pool? If so does anyone have recommendations about strokes or just stretching or walking?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm 5 weeks post on, I still have a little scab, my doc said no bodies of water til 100% healed, trust me, the beach is not the same without getting in the water!!!
 
@Barnmom22 only go in a pool or water if the incision is totally healed. I was 7 months when I went into a pool and my doc said no whip kicks, flutter was ok. I started with some water walking, treading and a few laps of freestyle. Even at 7 months I could only do 4-5 laps and I usually swim 20. It took me a few weeks to build up to 10, 15, 20.
 
I wouldn't go in a pool at 5 weeks.
Work on your muscles very gradually. The didn't get weak overnight and you can't strengthen them overnight.
 
My doctor was concerned about an infection more than anything, I can't even get it wet in the shower until there are absolutely no scabs and 100% healed, he may be over cautious but better safe than sorry, I sure as heck don't wasn't to take any chances.

Every doctor is different, my dad had total shoulder replacement in January and he could shower and get it wet as soon as he came home from the hospital.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom