Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Badhip2010's Recovery Thread

Hi and happy Friday to you.
Hopefully you’re resting in your own space today, Charlie. If not, safe travels home.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend.
@Badhip2010
 
@Badhip2010 I just read your thread and I can feel for you.
I had a TLHR on 6-27-19, followed by a surgery on 12-19-19 to repair a detached Gluteus Medius.

Several weeks after that surgery things were going along okay, save for a very leaky incision. A week or so after that, I got severe pain and pressure in the upper left thigh. They sent me in for some scans and blood work. UH-oh, I had a an infection.

So, on Jan 30-20, they opened me up again, and did the "clean out" via irrigating the entire area with antibiotic solution, after removing the infected tissue, and replacing the polyethylene cup and ceramic ball.

They put me on IV antibiotics for what was supposed to be 6 weeks, Well, that didn't workout, so I had my 4th surgery on 2-26-20. During this procedure, they did an explant (ripped out my initial implants and installed the medicated spacer. They also changed my antibiotics and restarted the 6 week clock for them.

I ended up having a PICC line in until a week ago Friday. My blood work is all good now, but I still have a great deal of pain, which is concentrated in the upper left groin.

I'm seeing a new surgeon in mid May to discuss the revision surgery. I was supposed to see him next week, but my wife is having outpatient surgery next week, so I had to push my appointment out. She's taken care of me since June, now I have to do my best to take care of her until she recovers, which should be fairly quick. (fingers crossed).

In reading your post, I see you saying you don't know if you have another surgery left in you. I say the same thing at least a few times a week. This whole deal is physically and mentally draining, to say the least.

I've read that some people do great with the spacer, me, no such luck. I sleep in a chair and am on a walker 90% of the time. I'm older than you by 10 years, so I'm going to encourage you to keep on truckin and do what the docs say.

I know when the time comes for surgery #5 (on the same dang hip) within 10 or 11 months, I'll be there. I owe it to my wife and family not to give up. Plus, I still have plenty of years left in me to enjoy life, with or without the pain and angst.

Funny thing is, I have zero fear of the surgery or going under. I am however, quite terrified about getting yet another infection. Being on the IV antibiotics for that long was tough.

The very fine folks here helped me to get through that with lots of good advice and of course plenty of good juju and prayers.

I'm pulling for you, and hope your latest procedure works out really well for you. Sending good vibes your way. Hang in there..


Westy
 
My recovery from the surgery is going very well. Chunked the walker on day 4 post op for a cane. The hip is still very tender tho, go for a re ck with Dr Steele on April 29, 15 days post op to get the 18 stitches out. Nurse changed my dressings on hip and arm picc line yesterday. This darn extension off the picc line has some kind of restriction on my iv flow rate. Took 5 hours yesterday for treatment that is usually 2.0 hours. Hope to get that corrected today. Thanks for all the prayers, they are working!!
 
Hello @Badhip2010
Prayers continue. You’re a trooper! Sorry you had to endure a five hour treatment yesterday over the normal two hour. Hopefully that problem is corrected today.
Wishing you a peaceful one! :wave:
 
Continued good vibes coming your way, friend.
Yeah, they need to check that IV....that is terribly long.:unsure:
Great you are able to go to a cane....Progress!:yes!:
 
Well I am 12 days post op and my mobility is getting better each day. I go to see Dr Steele to get the 18 stitches out this Wednesday which will be 15 days post op. I am getting much better with administration of my IV treatment twice a day. Having some stomach issues but not terrible. I am very thankful and I know I am not out of the woods just yet. The darn 2 step spacer procedure will be next if this IV treatment doesnt work. Thanks to everyone for the positive vibes!
 
Hello and Happy Monday to you!
It will be nice to have the staples removed on Wednesday. I’ll bet you’re looking forward to it.

If you’re not already taking a probiotic, please speak with your surgeon, or PA about it on Wednesday. Antibiotics upset the bacterial balance in the gut and can cause nausea
and / or diarrhea. Often times members take a probiotic while on the antibiotic, but a few hours apart from the antibiotic. Please inquire about this on Wednesday, it may bring you relief. Let us know how you’re appt goes. :)
@Badhip2010
 
I agree with Layla on the probiotics. My Surgeon was happy I was taking them. I was on antbiotics for five months and I know how they upset the system. To this day I eat Greek yogurt daily and take a probiotic capsule several times a week to keep my system in balance.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom