Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Hip Infection* Badhip2010's Recovery Thread

Badhip2010

Country
United States United States
I had hip resurfacing done on both hips in May 2010 2 weeks apart. Metal on metal implants. 10 weeks post op the right femur broke at the fixture. THR with a stem, still metal on metal. 6 months later the left femur broke at the fixture with a THR stem metal on metal. 6 months later had more pain in both. Come to find metal on metal went bad. 3rd surgery on each hip with ceramic ball and plastic liner. 6 hip surgeries in 17 months. October 2018 had a revision on the left hip due to a loose stem, horrible recovery from femur shattered during extraction. March 2020 go to get my teeth cleaned and pre med with 2000 mg amoxicillin as usual. 3 days later my left hip is killing me so a week later I see Dr Steele at Andrews Institute and he aspirates the left hip with other blood work. I have an infection in the left hip. Dr is gonna open the hip up and flush/bathe in antibiotics and send me home with a pic line antibiotics 3 times a day for 6 weeks. If this procedure does not clear the infection then a spacer will be put in for the 6th surgery on the left hip then a 7th surgery to put the hardware back in. I surly hope the cleanout works!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Badhip2010 - and :welome:

I'm sorry to read you've had to come to us in these circumstances, but I can tell you that there's every chance your infection will eventually be cleared up. It will take some time, though.

I've moved your post from the other thread and started a thread just for you, so we can talk about your hip, without taking the focus off Bruce's story.
So please will you continue to post about your hip in this thread from now on? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

It sounds as if your surgeon has explained to you the procedures that should cure your infection.

Since you'll be having surgery soon, I'll give you the Recovery Guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip. Much of it will also be relevant to your recovery.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi again, @badhip 2010.
You've certainly been through the wringer with your hips and you gave us a helpful history of your surgeries. I've tried to put that together, to make a reverse chronological list to put in your signature, but I need help with the dates.

Please can you look at what I've got, and correct any mistakes, as well as add the correct day and month of each surgery? Having all that information in your signature will enable people to see your hip history at the bottom of every post you make, so they won't need to keep referring back to your first post.

This is what I have so far:

Washout and antibiotics Left Hip - Do you have a date planned for this yet?
Infection Left hip, March ??, 2020
Revision Left THR (femur fractured during surgery) October ??, 2018
Bilateral Revision THR (Ceramic ball, plastic liner) July ??, 2011
(Fractured Femur) Left THR (Metal on metal) January ??, 2011
(Fractured Femur) Right THR (Metal on metal) July ??, 2010
Re-surfacing Left/Right hip May ??, 2010
Re-surfacing Left/Right hip May ??, 2010

Aura Gypsy

Country
Australia Australia
Ohh golly I sure hope the clean out works.
You have already endured enough, it breaks my heart to read your journey so far.
All the best and I look forward to hearing how you go.

OP
OP
B

Badhip2010

Country
I go in for surgery Tuesday morning at 6:00 am in Pcola. The hip has a lot of pressure in it and my whole left leg aches and feels like it is over exerted most of the time. I am still trying to be as active as I can to maintain what strength I have. When they did the aspiration of my left a lot of bloody fluid came out and it felt somewhat better for a week. That was a month ago. What my nightmare is that I awake from the surgery to find out Dr Steele elected to do a 2 step process and put a spacer in. Not being able to bear weight on that side for a few months might be very hard on me, my tank is near empty now. Thanks for the responses and creating my own thread. I am new to this forum and look forward to support from this group. Thanks so very much. Charlie

OP
OP
B

Badhip2010

Country
The second pic is after surgery 4 on the left hip in October 2018. The stem put in in November 2010 had become loose and caused pain. Upon extraction of the stem the top portion of the stem was secure and the top of my femur shattered upon extraction. This surgery was the worst of the 7 as far as recovery.

Attachments

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Badhip2010
I'm so sorry that the left hip has to have yet another procedure and I do so hope the clean out works for you.
I can only imagine how weary you are of all of it, and how daunting in NWB protocols are...
Have to get that infection under control so there are no choices...:sad:

The forum has some members with tough cases ...you definitely have had a seriously rough journey.

Sending healing vibes ...will be thinking about you Tuesday!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I’m so sorry for all you’ve been through. Many years of heartache and disappointment, I am guessing. Prayers the washout scheduled for Tuesday is a success and you heal without incident. Please stay in touch. We’re here for you.
@Badhip2010

OP
OP
B

Badhip2010

Country
Ok, Dr Steele did the flush out yesterday. He said most of the infection was around the top metal band of 4 that he had to put in last time when my femur fractured getting the loose stem out. He did not take the ball of the stem nor did he replace the plastic shim in the acetabular cup. So that part went well. The infectious disease Dr saw me yesterday afternoon with a whole lot of questions. He is growing cultures with my blood to see which antibiotic to send me home with. Still on schedule to go home today and have a PIC line for treatment 3 times a day for 6 weeks. I am thankful to Almighty God that the infection was not as bad as it could have been. I was up walking pretty good yesterday afternoon on a walker. So far this has not been too bad. We did get a little behind the curve with pain meds last night but got it under control this morning. Praise be to God! Thanks for all the support. Charlie

Attachments

Hip4life

senior
Country
My heart goes out to you, Charlie. I’m glad your procedure went better than anticipated and the pain is getting under control. You have the power of good wishes and prayers from all the good people here. Hopefully, that support will help get you through the next 6 weeks and beyond. Keep us posted and have a safe trip home. Pat.

OP
OP
B

Badhip2010

Country
Dr Steele just came by and gave me the full scope of what went on. All the infection was around the top metal band. He said it popped like a pimple when he got close to it. He removed that cable and flushed. He said the ball and cup area looked great so he did not change them out as he had planned to do if the infection were nearer them. Great news! Waiting on the germ Dr to come by now and put the pic line in. I am up walking with some pain, nothing like the pain from the first 7 surgeries tho. God is good!!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well that's some good news and hoping you're still on schedule to go home today if you're not already there. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :angel: :fingersx:

OP
OP
B

Badhip2010

Country
Dr Erickson the germ Dr just came by. The culture from the tissue and blood inside the hip needs more time to reveal what specific antibiotic is needed. This may take another 4 days to get the data. So he said I stay one more night in the hospital and if they don’t know the specifics antibiotic to use tomorrow he will send me home with 2 generic ones to use until the specific one is revealed. I sure wanted to go home today but at least I know I will get to go home tomorrow. I am still praying hard that this infection can be killed with the flush out and 6 weeks of 3 times daily iv doses. This was surgery #5 on this hip and I just don’t know if I have the 2 step surgery process left in my gas tank if it is needed. May God have mercy on me and thanks for y’alls support and prayers. Charlie

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sorry you didn't get to go home today but at least he's promised tomorrow even if you have generic antibiotics. We're here with you and sending all our best mojo, thoughts, cyber hugs and prayers your way.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Hi Charlie.
Just catching up and am certainly glad to see that things are encouraging and that a more extensive procedure isn't necessary.:happydance:
Hope they've got your meds tweaked just right and you can get home today and chill!!!:ice:
Healing vibes coming your way.

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
I hope you got to go home Charlie since there is no place like home. It was good news that he did not have to remove everything. I am sure they will get the specific antibiotics working for you soon. Sending healing vibes your way.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ladyk
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom