TKR Back with the other one!

hawk2go

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Welcome back @SDkate! I'm back for my 2nd knee, too. I definitely had amnesia on some the TKR experience but was able to prepare better for the weeks after surgery with my own knee cave in the spare room and new toys that made the recovery easier.

I went back to work (from home) after a week with my 1st knee with the same assumption, a desk job should allow it. With this knee, I remembered that 1 week was not nearly enough time and I opted for 5 weeks with a bit of short term disability. We're close in age and I understand the concerns about job security. Tough choices. I hope you're figuring out how to manage those long seated periods. I still find myself stiff after sitting for a couple hours without walking, so I started using my under desk pedaler to stretch periodically as an alternative to walking about my home office.

OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
This business of healing is exhausting!!! Almost 5 weeks post op, still riding the roller coaster. Some days I just want to shout at someone to stop the ride and let me off! Most days go pretty well, am able to sit at my desk and work, taking breaks to get up and move around and stretch my legs, etc. I completely stopped taking Percocet for pain relief about 10 days ago, had a couple of days of slight misery from that. Trying to manage pain with Tylenol, my doctor said I could piggyback with some ibuprofen, which I did for several days. Wasn't sure I was seeing much benefit from that, and have been having some low-grade constant nausea (worse after eating) and lack of appetite for about a week, so stopped the ibuprofen last weekend. Not sure if it's the ibuprofen or the daily aspirin that is affecting my stomach, have lost a few pounds which is a good thing.

PT is going okay, young Aaron is putting me through my paces but not beating up on me too much. I did notice in his note from Monday that he said I am up to 100° of flexion, and I think my extension is pretty good, so am well on my way. Incision is healing quite well, but it's not going to be as pretty as my other knee.

The timing of my surgery could have been planned better as far as the holidays. I've been able to shop for gifts online without any problems, but have had absolutely no ambition/desire/ability to drag the Christmas tree upstairs, put it up, decorate it, etc. Going to try to find a smaller tabletop decorated tree to put the gifts around, for this year.

Thanks again to all of you Smarties for your insight, support, comfort, etc. Hopefully in the near future I'll be sitting at my computer more and will be able to read more posts and offer assistance to others.

Happy Holidays everone :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

hawk2go

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@SDkate - I love your practical approach to the season. We may not have the celebrations that we want but we can certainly enjoy the celebrations that we have. I'm going to have some wine. :heehee:

Sks1997

senior
Country
@SDkate I totally agree with you, I don’t like this club we are in but we do have some pretty cool club mates!
I can’t do Ibuprofen at all. If I take one dose, it rips my stomach up!
This year we only put up our tree and decorated it. I didn’t decorate the rest of my house like I normally do.
I do know lots of people that have had surgeries around the holidays!
It sounds like you are doing very well! Keep up the good work! Spring will be here before we know it.

kate97497

Country
@SDkate I was just looking for a lit table top tree online. They are getting scarce but still some around. I can't do it all either. All shopping online. I'm still baking because that is my thing but a lot is being let go this year. We will be together so all will be good.

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@SDkate - I love your practical approach to the season. We may not have the celebrations that we want but we can certainly enjoy the celebrations that we have. I'm going to have some wine. :heehee:
we normally have an7 or 8ft tree, trashify dressed with children's surviving kindergarten offerings, inherited vintage glass baubles, vintage non LED lights, garish of course , and inherited vintage tinsel plus the mementos for collected from the countries the countries we've visited all over the world.
It's a memory tree and stands proudly in the middle of our double height hallway.

well did until last year when i bought a lovely pathetic fake tree from M&S for £16 in the sale.as no one was coming round. I repeated last years this year as I''m not up to dressing 8 ft tree.

Toned down decorations as I will have to clear then up as well as put them up so it will be a beautifully dressed Christmas table for very close relations and not the usual dozen or more. Covid has knocked that on the head, again.

As an aside, I have taken half a sleeping tablet. Two or three hours a night is catching up with me and I am beginning to feel ill with lack of sleep.

I'm hoping for more than three tonight. I overdid the standing around at church on Sunday and sorting out the Nativity costumes. My leg has been aching for Britain since.

Country
Well folks like your ideas on toning down Christmas if not everything just so it's more manageable.
I have never been organised with presents cards etc in my life .. but this year I had them all done before my surgery in October!
I was well impressed with myself.
Mind you I did still manage to misplace one present .. found it now thank goodness.
I moan about modern tech but by gum I've been grateful for it these past few years!
Both Covid and knee has thwarted my shopping trips and having groceries delivered has been much like you lot on here .. a godsend.
I am just laughing inside to myself thinking about my Christmas tree this year. It was all left to my husband ( this has never happened before) he put up the but got two bits fixed together ( it's artificial) and then realised left top in false roof! So this year my tree is much smaller.. looks ok in fact I prefer it actually as my Tinkerbell star sits on top ( well not really the top) much easier.
Anything to make life easier at the moment I say .
Take care everyone.

ski_bum

Country
Canada Canada
@Scaredycat10
My Doctor suggested to take CDB oil for sleep, pain & Inflammation.
I have taken it for just over 2 1/2 months and I sleep like a Baby now.
Don't know if it has helped with anything else, just happy to sleep 8 hours every night.
It is legal in Canada and does not contain THC. That also is legal but it's not for me.

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
@Scaredycat10
Don't know if it has helped with anything else, just happy to sleep 8 hours every night.
It is legal in Canada and does not contain THC. That also is legal but it's not for me.
Thx. I will look into it.
I have gone from a non pill taker [not needed apart from the odd paracetamol for a headache] to a regular old pill popper.
I have had the sleeping tab lets for over two years, untouched but still in date, prescribed to me when nursing my father before he passed away and coping with my husband's deteriorating MS condition. The stress was robbing me of sleep. I managed to overcome that myself.
This seems to be different. I had disrupted sleeps before the op as my husband has been coping with the after effects of radiotherapy for hopefully cured Prostate cancer and I have been coping with him.
He now sleeps like a baby. Ironic or what!!:heehee:

Me, in another bedroom doesn't sleep.

Well half a sleeping pill last night and I had 3 hrs, then obligatory loo visit, and then 4 hours of PROPER sleep.

I am a new women,
I can take on the world and my aching leg!

:yahoo:

Mrty2019

Country
@Scaredycat10

I started full spectrum CBD oil 4 weeks following my TKR in 2019 when I could not sleep. As soon as I took a dose, I slept the entire night thru and I continued taking it to help with arthritis pain and sleep. With this TKR I was required to stop it a week prior to surgery. I did not restart it until I was off the OxyContin.

OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
@SDkate I was just looking for a lit table top tree online. They are getting scarce but still some around. I can't do it all either. All shopping online. I'm still baking because that is my thing but a lot is being let go this year. We will be together so all will be good.

Yep, baking is my thing too, have two days off work next week to get it done, plus will have help from granddaughters. I'm probably more organized than I feel like I am, but everything just seems to be a bit harder this year.

kate97497

Country
@SDkate It is harder this year. I decided to focus on the important stuff that is meaningful to us and let the rest go. I have a daily checklist but I'm already behind.:sad:

OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
I have a nagging area that is really frustrating me. For the most part my knee feels pretty stable and can weightbear pretty well on it. However, there's an area, kind of a strip, along the medial side of my patella, that tweaks, twinges and hurts when I move my leg in certain directions. I first noticed it when my PT guy was doing some passive flexion/extension movements with my lower leg on his shoulder. He had done this particular maneuver in the past and it was actually quite comfortable, almost relaxing. But a week or two ago he was moving backward to extend the knee and I felt this pain that was horrible at that time. He immediately stopped, flexed the knee, waited a moment, and then extended it again slowly. Got to about the same spot and the pain recurred. I made enough noise about it that he stopped, but ever since then that area has been painful. Sitting still with my leg not in the perfect position, it aches. When I stand up or move my leg a certain way, such as with a very slight bend, it really hurts. Has anyone else experienced this type of isolated pain/twinge/tweak?

kneeper

Staff member since January 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
It's very easy to tweak a baby knee just moving wrong when walking or just shifting position. It sounds like your PT tweaked something. I'd say give your knee some TLC with extra ice and elevation anddon't let him do that maneuver.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since August 2014

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tower6brkrs
Recent bookmarks