TKR Back with a question

Is there an explanation for a person getting ROM of 120 at 4 weeks, doing all other kinds of exercises and PT and not paying a price in pain and swelling?
None whatsoever. They are just dead lucky!
Went to get my prescription several hours ago; walked down one flight of stairs (1st time to do that); then took elevator. Walked around in pharmacy for 15 minutes or so.
That's far too much being on your feet. Far too much.
Should I forget about ROM? Will I lose ground?
Yes, please do. And no, you won't lose ground.
I wonder if I would worry less if there were some simple things I could do just so I don't feel like a slug.
Remember this: when you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered pro-actively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme'.
What can I do to decrease tightness in quad?
Do less of everything!
I could cry if I would let myself.
The go on and have a good cry! I love having a good boo! It released tension and has healing powers.
I thought my knee would reward me for being more relaxed today.
Listen to me - your knee isn't going to improve after one day, one week of one month! It takes time.
Maybe I can make something like that with pillows
Funny you should say that - obviously you never read your recovery articles in post #2! This one was in it - read and learn! Elevation: the do's and dont's
 
Hi Jakeleg! I had my left knee replaced September 28, 2017. I also get discouraged and down very easily- don't feel you are alone in that. At 8 weeks they all say I'm "doing great", good ROM and all but I still get sore if I'm up on my leg too much. I wear an ace wrap which helps a little. I'm just so ready for this to be over! Reading this forum has helped me be a bit more realistic with my expectations. I hope you are able to communicate your wishes in PT, sometimes I have to make my therapist stop because the stretch is too painful. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you, and send positive thoughts your way.
 
I am procrastinating about getting ready to go to PT. I have to be there at 8 and it's now almost 10 after 7. my knee hurts this morning because after 4 days of resting I decided to test it out. I didn't do anything strenuous. I walked a little more and I tried a couple of steps on the stairwell in my apartment building. all was well until it started to get stiff and red. so I iced all night. every time I woke up I got a new small bag is what I mean by that. I didn't sleep well because I'm worried about going to PT and telling them that I want to take a break. isn't that silly? you'd think that I was a bad little kid in school and was going to the principal's office. I'll post after I return home. all of the people who have responded to my post and tell me about their feelings which are similar to minehave made a difference to me we absolutely cannot do this alone
 
How much was “a little more” walking? I’m curious but also wondering if it was a bit too much. It’s understandable you would want to test it at some point. I’m just sorry your adventure led to being stiff and red.

With PT, you can cancel your appointment if you’d rather not go. Sometimes it’s simply easier not to face people when you want to say no. Some people respect your “no” and others will try to talk you out of it. If the latter happens a lot, sometimes it helps to make a game of it. “I said no.” Person tries to pressure you. “Really, I said no.” More pressure. You realize saying no is becoming much easier. “No. And more no. In fact, I have enough no to last all day.” Eventually you will get your way. In the meantime, you get to see what kind of person you are dealing with: someone who respects you and accepts your decision, or a bully who gets petulant and threatening. In the case of uncovering a bully, ditch the therapist.

I hope you’re feeling better today. A break sounds like a wonderful idea. You will rest both your knee and your spirit. The holidays are a wonderful time to relax and revel in friends, family, and the familiar.
 
Oops, PT is tomorrow. However, I made use of the trip. I'll try to summarize. Spoke to the new manager.Very nice young man. Told him I am not complaining about any staff. Told him how much I had learned on Bonesmart especially from other tkr posts. Told him that I thought I had been pushed too soon by home health. Not blaming anyone. Just proves what a difference Bonesmart makes because that's where I learned that I could say no. He actually suggested I tell my therapist to take it easy as soon as I told him about my weekend. I was very happy with the conversation. Managed to slip in a reminder that therapists are dealing with the whole person, not just a knee. People are different and so are their knees. I told him how we feel about hearing normal and that's why Bonesmart is so helpful. I feel "normal" when I read posts from people with situations similar to mine. I tried to add a little humor by telling him we can't run around the mall trying to find people who understand. We find them on Bonesmart. I'm going to tell my doctor about it whether he likes it or not. I think an educated patient is a better patient and that improves recovery. They emphasize diabetic education. Why not bone education. I'm still flipped out just thinking about a saw and hammer! I definitely did too much last night. He said my knee and scar looked good for 7 weeks. Before I left he told me which bike would be better for me. Apparently all bikes are not the same just like all knees are not the same. I cannot say thank you enough to all who post. I had to go to the drugstore for batteries. An hour out is still too long. Going to talk to my supervisor about not being ready for work this week. That's it in a large nutshell.
 
Before I left he told me which bike would be better for me. Apparently all bikes are not the same just like all knees are not the same
Hmm. At the level of doing stretch type exercises or simple pedalling, there's not much to choose. Why not tell us (a) what you have now, if anything (b) what you want to do?
 
I'm glad you had a productive talk with the PT manager, @jakeleg . Well done!
You're right - knowledge is power. Now you know you can speak up, to make sure your knee gets the treatment it needs. :thumb:
 
Sorry. Was referring to the 4 bikes that are at the PT facility. I will try the one he suggested when I go back and see how I do. I had a full gym at my home a few years back. After my husband died, I moved back to the big city and live in a high rise. My part time job in cardiac rehab is on the same floor as the Fitness Center. As an employee, I have no membership fee so I will probably be walking the track and using equipment as I am able. I am going to try the Bonesmart way of recovery and hope that will decrease the obsessing about ROM and comparing to others. My posts are kind of an embarrassment to me. I am 7 weeks tomorrow and will tell the PT to go easy. I need to get out so I will go to PT as long we have an understanding about pain. I enjoy the heat treatment and the stimulation. All the best to all you bikers and skiers and all the other activities. I will be content to be on the indoor track and hoping to avoid future problems.
 
I’m so glad you had a good talk with the PT today. You worded it perfectly!

And I admit I had to smile at you going on the wrong day, after all that worry (justified as it was). But, in the end, going today was meant to be. You were able to have a more relaxed chat, knowing you didn’t have to participate, and now you can relax a bit more about going back next time.

You are going to be fine, you’re doing great!
 
I did well after meniscus repair so I thought I'd do well at this.
I had 7 meniscus repairs on both knees through the years. A TKR is nothing like those! The recovery from this is more like childbirth, except it lasts a whole lot longer! But, again like childbirth, when it's all over with the result is well worth the pain!

Good for you for having that nice talk with the PT manager! It was meant to be that you went up there today! Now, stick to your guns and do not let him/her talk you into what you don't want to do. Better yet, you tell them what you will do and will not do! You are the boss. You are paying their salary, whether through insurance or not, you're still paying them! And you an fire them if you want to!
 
At PT today worked with Sarah who had helped me with meniscus and rotator. Could not stay for the whole hour so here is the summary.

Rode on the easier bike; could not do total revolutions. Told her all about Bonesmart and how it helps all of us. She showed me new things to do at home for stretching, a better way to do heel slides and I did pretty well.

I have lost ROM. She did not tell me the number. I was 114 after last week's pushes which really made me finally understand that that kind of pain meant big setback. So I said just tell me that I'm still over 100. She said yes so I don't care if it's 101. I think I was pushed all the way in the last 2 weeks. I think some PTs are hung up on numbers and transfer that to patients like me. I'd rather increase it on my own. It's sort of like losing water weight. Have to keep eating right to get a sustainable weight loss.

Then I did heated blankets and stimulation. It's much easier with a female. We had lots of good girl to girl talk. She admitted that PTs are not trained to deal with emotions. She understands emotions just because she's that kind of person I have always liked her. She told me most of the men do not talk about fear or pain. She said they get grouchy. I told her that's why Bonesmart is so valuable. We can say how we really feel. Another benefit is that we can stay involved in Bonesmart as long as we want to. Most people leave PT and do not have the ongoing support for the long term recovery. I will say this to the men.

My husband was always bigger and stronger than the other boys. Excelled in every sport. By age 72, with a shoulder out of the socket, he was not a candidate for a replacement. He had endured injuries and surgeries like a pro football player. His body had had it. As he continued to decline in the nursing home rehab where his doctor put him (knowing he could not be rehabbed), he told me he felt so inadequate. He was never physically inadequate. It broke my heart. He kept a good attitude until the end. Sometimes we just have to say how we really feel and Bonesmart is the place for me. We're anonymous but we're not if that makes any sense.

Some of the things I read on Bonesmart almost bring me to tears. The must be very lonely for the people who have not found this kind of support.

Ok I think that covers it. I'm going to see how others are doing now. Forward Ho, I hope.
 
jackleg,
Happy to hear how well your PT session went. Slow and easy will get you there.
Sorry to read about the poor treatment your husband received, an all too common of an experience.
Thank you for all the kind words about BoneSmart, much appreciated.
 
Need to clarify. I think his doctor loved him and sent him to rehab because he had been going downhill in the hospital. Jack was just worn out physically. Too many injuries over the years His wild adventures as a young man caught up with him. I think his doctor knew that he could not stay in the hospital just to decline. Thank goodness he lived only a month and a half in the nursing home rehab unit. He was at peace when he died and I was also.

The hard part came after. A shoulder out of the socket is not terminal, being worn out is. He had no more comeback in him so it was a blessing that it was so short. I have no complaints about his treatment. If he had been a pet, we would have euthanized him. I hope this post is not misunderstood. When people ask how he died I some times say "he was just plumb worn out". He was my true love and sad as it is to remember some of the pain, I think I'm one of the luckiest people in the world to have been with someone like him. Loss of will or spirit or " comeback" is a concern in health care. That's why we encourage each other here.

Gosh, I'm blabbering today.
 
You are not blabbering, you are sharing. Emotions are a part of this healing also. We understand the ups and downs and the need to vent or cry. We care!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband passing. It's so sad to see a loved one going downhill.

She showed me new things to do at home for stretching, a better way to do heel slides
I'd be most interested to know what these are like.
 
I love you new thread title!
 
It sounds like you had a good chat with some useful work with this latest PT.
Is she putting heat on the muscles? We generally want cold on the knee itself. I had a good PT for my second knee who would use a GameReady ice machine on my knee for a good chunk of our sessions. She knew the swelling was impeding my bend. But I would use heat on the sore quad and hamstring muscles at home.

I think it is very liberating when we realize we can say "no", or "not yet", or "that's it for today."
 
Epiphany indeed. I can actually say today was a good day. I am a believer in the Bonesmart way after 5 days of letting my knee be the boss. Oh,well, 7 weeks out is better than never.

The stretch Sarah told me is to sit on the chair and slide my leg back as far as I can. I was able to push a tiny bit farther with my other foot. My leg is at a point of discomfort , but not pain. She said that way I am in control of pain and how far I go. Then slide my body forward on the chair and hold for 10 seconds if I can. That adds some extra stretch. Yes, it was uncomfortable, but the 2nd one was better.

I think for me to be in control made a big difference because I had come to dread the PT forcing the bend. I also felt encouraged after I did it the first time and that was a real treat. No one was telling me to go farther. She suggested doing it for 5 times twice a day then slowly work up to 10. I did 3 more later this afternoon just to build my confidence. I didn't want to over do it after 5 days of rest. Late in the afternoon I went from the apartment lobby down one flight of stairs .

I took the elevator to the lobby to get mail and thought, what the heck, I'll try a stair or two. I did well. Just like a real person only slower. No pain and I was happy. The interesting thing I noticed after leaving PT was that I got in and out of the car much more easily after the short time with Sarah's exercises. In other words, I was able to bend my knee more easily. Gosh, I hope I'm not imagining things. She had a box on the floor and showed me how step on it and lean forward. I have two large books that I can use instead of a box. Her box looked a little higher than a step. I suppose a step would work the same, but this is one I can also do in my apartment. Once again I control how far I go.

I think she gave me these stretches because I told her I believed my tight quads were stopping me and that kept my knees tight. All I can say is that the chair slides seemed much easier for me than slides on the bed. She thinks slides on the floor help because the friction keeps the foot from sliding forward again. I've seen some recommendations for using a pie pan to slide. I guess we have to find what works for each of us.

An exterior look shows little or no swelling. But, my knee is still quite tight with a little of that burning feeling . It has not been purple since early this morning. I know it is still swollen inside. I have iced with small bags today and done a fair bit around my apartment. I can't imagine how I could have so much good news in one day. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Josephine, please let me know if my descriptions of the stretches made sense. You are amazing so tweak anything I said. I am happy that I have reached a point where I can tell others yes, there's hope. I don't know what my ROM is. I just felt like a human being today. I know I'm not done, but the talk with the PT folks was a big step for me. (No pun intended). I guess that's it unless I remember something later on. Thanks to all.
 
Usually they ask me if I want heat or cold with my stimulation. I have always liked heat although it's really just warm not heat. She also told me to use my TENS and put the electrodes in the same spots they do.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom