TKR Back with a question

You are the voice of all of us on one day or another.

I think in part it's that we are working so hard at doing the right thing with our knees (resting icing gentle walking etc ) and even see progress in some areas. But keeping up this constant positiveness is sooooo exhausting emotionally and physically.

This is my second knee and I think it's the stiffness that is the most wearing aspect.

Oh my I'm watching White Christmas and they are singing 'count your blessings" ! Is somebody telling me something?

Ps well done on the Sally Army they were wonderful to a great aunt of mine years ago I always give at Christmas.
 
So good to hear about giving to "the Sally", as the homeless call it. Our local news told a story about gold coins being dropped in a kettle--- sold at a "we buy gold" shop for around $7,000. Someone else was wrapping ten $100 bills inside a $1.00 bill and leaving them in various kettles. I like stories like that. I live in a city that's known for its generosity.

I do appreciate the posts on this website. On discouraging days it's easy for me to forget that others are having the same feelings. I especially agree that is tiresome trying to be positive for others --- thus my comment about staying home (and eating worms?). Does anyone even say that any more?

Now I'm on the bed with one cat watching mindless tv. My Tramadol is providing much better sleep than the Hydrocodene--- no crazy dreams and I don't wake up too early. One more thing to be grateful for.

Thanks to all. We do need to too cheer each other on even if we're crying while we do it.
 
Remind me of your pattern for meds. It sounds like you're taking tramadol before bed. Do you take anything during the day? I ask because even after I was off the narcotics I took tylenol and it helped with the stiff feeling.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
@kneeper I do take a Tramadol at bedtime. I have been up for 3 hours and have not taken one. I guess I only remember to take something when I have pain. I'll try Tylenol for the stiffness.

I've decreased the pain meds because I'm so constipated. I have a sharp pain on my left side a few inches from my belly button. It hurts sometimes when I move. Now I'm researching it online. So many possibilities. Pulled muscle? Diverticulitis? Too many to list. I'm doing all the right things for diet now. Should have been doing them all along. Food has no appeal. If it doesn't get better I'll go see my internist.

Suggestions welcome. Thank you.
 
Prunes. They work amazingly well along with a tablespoon of ground flax seed stirred into a big glass of water - stirring as your drink it down. I did the flax in the morning and the prunes in the afternoon. PRESTO! Also are you taking a stool softener? And yes that's where I get constipation pain... left side, a few inches from belly button. I hope my suggestions work!
 
@jakeleg I’m just getting to 8 weeks in my recovery. I understand your frustration. There are so many days when I feel so awful, so swollen, so sore...and it just seems like it will never get better. I’m making slow steady progress. I too just want to be able to walk around and do things without pain and swelling. We will get there....it’s just going to take time. This week I am treating myself to a massage, and probably a manicure. Those little things really do help, even if it’s only in the moments that they are happening. Just know that you are not alone in your frustration. So many people on here feel or have felt the same. Coming on here and reading that I’m not alone helps me. Sending you good thoughts. :friends:
 
@Josephine I'll happily answer questions. I've done the 9 you asked previously. I am 11 weeks on the 26th. Is it time for an update?

I worry that I'm being over dramatic and also being an obsessing pest to the advisors. I fear being limited by swelling when I go to work on 1/3 /18 after seeing the doctor. I know being a semi recluse is not good because of being self absorbed. I probably need a professional opinion about how I'm doing. I'm sure my expectations are unrealistic.

I've been resting, elevating and icing a lot. When I look at the swelling, I think I may be the the only one to whom it's obvious.

I am up and down with ADLs. I went foot over foot (slowly) at the post office. That's 5 up and 5 down. Driving is no problem. I go out for short errands. I go to 3 or 4 meetings a week. I sit with minimal discomfort for an hour, but can get up to get coffee or stretch if I need to. I am not pushing myself at all.

I just took a 130 foot walk, did 5 chair slides for a count of ten. I wanted to see what my knee would do. The outside lump got a little bigger, the whole knee got red and I could feel the stiffness increase a little. I was hoping my knee would not react to such minimal exercise.

Okay, enough of this whining. Let me have it. I'm a stubborn case, I know.
 
I'll happily answer questions. I've done the 9 you asked previously.
We've actually done them twice before! Should have checked! So I don't think there's much point in doing them again, do you? Though I will if you really want me to!
 
@Josephine . No need to do them again. I'm preoccupied with constipation. Just made a quick run to the store for flax seeds and some good granola. Nothing like a pain in the abdomen to take my mind off my knee! I also bought some purple Alstroemeria and baby's breath to put in a vase to cheer me up.

Home now and back to icing and elevating. Had a sharp pain In the center of my knee while in the store. I think it might have been from walking too fast. It's a strain on my brain trying to understand these pains that come and go. Think I'll take a break from reading about knees and try to nap for a while.
 
@Celle Was going to stop for the day. Just had a sharp pain that felt different from others. I was sitting sideways on bed with right foot on floor, left leg bent, hanging not touching floor. Sharp pain. I had been reading about tissue that is swollen. Felt like the pain was right under my incision. Could this be something tearing, loosening up?
I guess I need to be careful about the angle of my bend? Haven't felt this before. Knee is hot and red after walking. Am I worrying about nothing or every little thing?
 
Was going to delete above post. Pain is now right on incision. Walking or sitting.what did I do?
 
@jakeleg, sometimes the knee does that. You're just minding your own business, bend your leg, and feel like the whole thing is coming apart. It isn't. The ice bag thing again :ice:
 
I don't think you've done any damage.
Rubyyarn is right - Ice and rest. As long as your incision is completely healed, with no open areas or scabs, it's OK to put some moisturising cream on it.
 
I live in an 11 story apartment building. Two seconds from getting in the shower, we heard the fire alarm. They happen when people are not told how sensitive the smoke detectors are. I learned my lesson at the stove quickly when I first moved in. I have to admit the firemen who came to my door were very good looking. I wondered if I should cook like that more often!

Today the announcement told us to leave the building. My knees took me down 5 flights of stairs and up 1 outside because I forgot that I had parked at the front of the building. We are all ok. My cats go under the bed when the noise starts. Guess that's my exercise for the day!
 
Hey, you survived the stairs! And if you can appreciate a hot-looking fireman, I'd say your mental outlook is improving too :) :-) (:
 
5 flights of stairs!? I’m impressed!


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
Your knees did well! Make sure you give them lots of rest today.

If your new knee can manage all those stairs in an emergency, you really don't need to worry about it.
It's doing fine. You'd like it to recover faster, but it knows what it's doing. Let it follow its own schedule.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom