TKR Back with a question

Okay for 10 weeks.
2. Tramadol 50 mg 6 hours
Try taking 1,000mg Tylenol with each dose. It enhances it wonderfully well!
3. Slight to barely moderate
Okay
4. ROM 112 Extension 0 to -1
Hmm - more about this later
5. Icing with gel packs several times a day - estimate a total of 6 - 8 hours; just started icing back of knee
Okay
6. Elevate when icing on wedge
Okay
7. Trips to the kitchen many, many times a day for food and bottled water. Load dishwasher, general straightening up of a 1 bedroom apartment; trips to drug store or Post Office 3-4 total a week. No grocery shopping. Short drives to 4 one hour AA meetings per week. Out to short lunch 1x a week or less
Okay


short walks 5 - 10 minutes 3x a day - okay
rocking chair stretches 5-6 2 x a day - not so sure about this. I'd suggest once or twice a day at the most
gentle lunges 3-4 2x a day - I'd recommend you don't do these at all. It's quite likely they are hindering progress of your ROM

PT 1x per week
8 - 10 minutes on bike - okay
chair stretches 5x hold 5-10 seconds - same as before
quad massage - okay
Heat or cold with electrodes stimulation - okay
 
@Josephine Thanks for the tip about Tylenol. I like the Tramadol -- doesn't seem to have any bad side effects nor make me too drowsy.

No more lunges- fine with me. I read about taking longer strides when walking. Is that ok as long as they're not too much longer? I seem to be recovering well from my long day. That pleases me.

Last night was the first time I slept with my new wedge all night.I think that helps, too. Showed my knee to several nurses that I work with. All thought it looked good. I'm my worst critic. What a surprise.


I actually enjoyed the walking until I realized the distance back to my car was going to be way too much. It's a big hospital. I'm very lucky to have so much flexibility at my job.

I'll probably do PT once a week til I go back to work. I love the massage, heat and stimulation. I will have to go back to PT for my rotator cuff. That was interrupted by a screaming knee and I couldn't do both.

Very lucky to have such a good Medicare supplement so I can continue with chiropractor. He helps maintain the progress. Heel toe is becoming more automatic.

What a gift Bonesmart and the advisors have been.
 
@sistersinhim You bet I'll rest tomorrow. I'm recovering some now. Have been using gel packs for about 4 hours. I don't have any long days planned for the rest of December. Thank you.
 
Good girl! I'm glad you're already seeing improvement!
 
Jakeleg,
I will tag @Josephine so she sees your answers to her questions in post 219.

opps sorry, I did not see the following posts, argh. :umm:

I hope tomorrow is a calmer day for you, give your knee a chance to recover.
 
This time of year it's so easy to overdo. Remember to take time to rest up, too!
 
I read about taking longer strides when walking. Is that ok as long as they're not too much longer?
Couldn't say. I always just walked normally - for me! Never did like walking much anyway!
I actually enjoyed the walking until I realized the distance back to my car was going to be way too much.
It's always been a problem when people think they'll walk 'about 20 minutes' but forget they will have to walk the same back again!
 
Nothing to report today. I guess that's good news. I sat too long yesterday, came home and iced. Taking it easy today because I have to go out tonite.

I bought some brightly colored tie dyed compression hose. They are fun to look at, but were too tight by the time I got home. I wonder if that was because I sat too long? and my legs swelled anyway?
 
@sistersinhim I thought I was doing well with swelling when I did not overdo. However, I now have a large "lump" on the outside of my knee. I had to sit for several hours on Tuesday. I wore compression hose which turned out to be unsatisfactory by the time I got home. Way too tight at the tops of my calves.

I am wondering if the lump came from doing too much sitting. I was out for several hours - big mistake, I know. I iced most of yesterday, but had to go out last nite and this morning.

I am going to spend the day icing and elevating. Just wondering if you have an opinion. It is so disappointing to think I'm going backwards with something like this. My knee was looking better so I hope this is temporary. I have a soft spot, not lump, on the outside of my other knee. Could that be from having to carry more of the load? It seems like I had a bit of a lump before and after meniscus repair.

I have to remember how it was in the beginning. Looking for some reassurance as usual. Thank you.
 
Sitting with the legs down for several hours is awful on a new knee. Whenever I had to sit, if there was no chair to prop up on, I used my cane. I'd set the top on the edge of the chair, prop up my old leg, then put my new one on top of it. It's not ideal, but is much better than having it down for hours.

I imagine the lumps are just fluid buildup and will go down eventually. You aren't even 1/4 of the way of recovery and can expect all kinds of ups and downs as you try different things. Some, your knee will be ready for, some, it will not be ready for and will let you know in no uncertain terms! As usual, let your knee be your guide!
 
Well, I guess I'm learning.I thought it was probably fluid. I'm going to figure out a way to elevate when I return to work. I just sat in my rocking chair and used my big ball as a "stool".

The ball is not the largest size and it felt comfortable; leg not completely straight. I might try this at work. We have several size balls. My job is in cardiac rehab so we have equipment and a track. I tried a bike the other day so I can do 5 minutes a few times a day. Also have a refrigerator for gel paks. Now if I could only have my own masseuse and meals catered. Dream on!

Thank you, @sistersinhim
 
I am wondering if the lump came from doing too much sitting.
Only if you're sitting with your feet on the floor - as in sitting at a desk! What kind of job do you do? How many hours a day are you working?
 
@Josephine. I have not returned to work yet. Am trying to make plans. I have freedom at my job to sit, stand, walk, elevate and ice when I am not talking with a patient. I am going to try working 1/2 days in the morning alternating with 1/2 days in the afternoon. Tuesday was an exception and an exceptionally long day. I do not set my own appointments so will have to clear this with my supervisor. I think it will all work out.
 
@sistersinhim Very discouraged today. No matter how much I have iced and elevated, stiffness is no better. The right side of my knee is aching. I am up and down with ADLs and my knee gets hot. Is there something else I should be doing?

I have swelling on the right inside at the bend just below the knee. The lump I complained about has gone down, but is still tender to touch. Right now I'm icing the back of my knee. It seems swollen or at least puffier than the other knee.

I am afraid I'm not increasing bend because of all this. I have not been measured for about 10 days. That will have to wait until I see my doctor and return to PT after New Year. I'm hoping for ROM increase the Bonesmart way.

When I'm evevating/resting, my knee is warm, not hot, barely pink and looks good to me as a lay person. People say I'm walking well. I can get in and out of the car easily. I can put my shoe on more easily, but can't raise my foot high enough to tie it yet. I have had to look under the bed for things (like the remote or my glasses) and can get off the floor using a table or chair to get on my good leg.

I didn't want this post to be completely negative that's why I made the above list. I'm sort of surprised at how quickly discouragement comes back. Have I reached a plateau? The stiffness is so uncomfortable I hate to get up and walk.

I try to remember what was done during surgery. I feel so let down by it all right now. Who are these people who have all the miraculous progress in 4 weeks? I wrote a post to someone the other day that was supposed to be encouraging. Now I'm the one who feels all is lost. It's so bad today I think maybe I'll just stay home forever because I'm tired of people asking me how I'm doing.

I'm embarrassed to write this, but it's how I see things today. I hope this is just temporary despair. The rest of my life is good. I'm always going to miss my husband and I'm ok with that. I just didn't imagine that I would be without him and then be taken down by a knee. I'm not so old that I can just give up. Guess I'll take my own advice and indulge myself in crying.

Thank you for anything you can tell me.
 
I'm sorry to read that you're feeling discouraged today @jakeleg . :console2:
These days do arrive from time to time, but they go away as well.

It's still only just over 10 weeks since you had this major surgery, so your new knee is still just a baby. It will get less stiff and less painful, if you give it time. Remember, this is a year-long recovery, so you have plenty of time. There's no need to rush.

Keep up the icing and elevating, and icing the back of your knee is a good idea.

Watch your activity, too - check it again with this article:
Activity progression for TKRs

Who are these people who have all the miraculous progress in 4 weeks? I wrote a post to someone the other day that was supposed to be encouraging. Now I'm the one who feels all is lost. It's so bad today I think maybe I'll just stay home forever because I'm tired of people asking me how I'm doing.
The people with miraculous progress are very few and far between. Most of us had much slower recoveries. We fretted and worried, grew discouraged or impatient, but rode it out and eventually got to where we hoped to be.

I have a friend who claims to have had one of those super-fast recoveries. He went back to work at 2 weeks post-op. However, his perception of his recovery is quite different from what actually happened - his wife could tell you the truth!

A quiet day at home, giving yourself some "me-time" sounds like a good idea. Rest, relax, watch mindless TV, paint your nails - you get the idea.
Have a good cry, too. Tears are healing.

We'll be here for you, in good days and bad days. :friends:
 
@ Celle Thank you. I needed to hear it all again. Sometimes it just seems so unfair. That's very infantile thinking. Why me? Why not me? I'm glad I'm by myself because I don't have to apologize to anyone for how I'm feeling. I love my doctor and I don't want to complain when I see him on the 3rd.

I have no desire to ride a bike or hike or ski. I just want to be able to go back to work and be normal. That's my biggest concern right now. I lost my husband, 3 German Shepherds and 4 cats in less than 3 years. Obviously we were animal people.

I've had to adjust to life without all of them so I guess I can accept this. A year seems like such a long time when I don't see any progress. Then I read here about the things that start happening at 3 months.

When I'm feeling good, I don't have to work at being grateful. I gave all my so called Christmas money to the Salvation Army this year. Most of the people I know do not need anything so they get a gift given in their name. Walking past those red kettles reminds me of all I have and how many people have so much less.

Hope that doesn't sound too sanctimonious or self righteous.

Gosh, I so appreciate having a place to say all this. It helps to know I am neither unique nor special. Time to read about others and give encouragement where I can.
 
I’m sorry you are feeling discouraged today. To be very honest, I still have those days once in a while, and I am 9 months post op. Sometimes I still feel my recovery will never end. I actually had a minor melt down yesterday and I am far enough along to know better!

It’s also only 2 days before Christmas, we remember previous times and miss those who are not with us, both people and pets.

I think donations to the Salvation Army in your friend’s names was a wonderful idea!

Merry Christmas to you!
:nativity:
 
Jakeleg, I had a very rough recovery and it was hard to be positive every day. Some days were better than others. When you’re having a bad day, we’re here for you. I’ve had two close family members go through TKR recovery as well as myself. Not one of us had a 4 week recovery. At 69 and 80 years of age for left and right knees, my dad had the best recoveries, however it was still over 3 months post op before he got back to normal activities.

The Salvation Army has really been suffering, so I think what you did is fabulous! It’s a great organization.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom