Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back problems, 14 weeks in

If you go to the movies, find one that has handicapped chairs. Take your cane and prop up on it. That helps to elevate your knee.
 
If you go to the movies, find one that has handicapped chairs. Take your cane and prop up on it. That helps to elevate your knee.

Thanks for the suggestions!_ I’m going to give it a week and try again, movies this time
 
I have been told not to elevate like that, it is not necessary. Just with leg up on sofa or bed x
 
I think you will find it helpful to put your leg up on a pillow or two if you're lying or sitting on the couch; I even did a pillow under the leg when I sat in my recliner. But I didn't buy any special gizmo for it. :)
 
I have been told not to elevate like that, it is not necessary.
To elevate like what?
Just with leg up on sofa or bed x
No, that is wrong! Look at these examples of good and bad

[Bonesmart.org] Back problems, 14 weeks in
 
I have been told not to elevate like that, it is not necessary. Just with leg up on sofa or bed x
It may not be necessary for some people, but it is for you.

You need to get your ankle and knee higher than your hips, so that the excess fluid that is causing the swelling can drain back into your circulation.
 
So I took some stock today:
It’s nearly 12 weeks since my TKR — I have great extension, but still can only bend between 100 and 110 degrees.
My back KILLS me if I walk around too much without my cane. And I still get tired if I do more than 1 activity a day.
I do make the bed, can manage a load or two of laundry and have gone back to my volunteer job of teaching art to children.
Sometimes I think this sounds pretty good; other days (like today) I feel that I am not. Especially worried about my bend and a lack of stamina.
 
That all sounds just like I was at 12 weeks!
 
I have great extension, but still can only bend between 100 and 110 degrees.
Actually, that sounds pretty good! Try to stop worrying about it.
You still have plenty of time for your flexion (bend ) to improve, since ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer after a TKR.

As for the lack of stamina - yes, that lasts a long time, too. Much of your energy is still being directed towards healing your knee.
For a long, long time, I found that I could only do one extra thing each day - going to the supermarket in the morning meant having to rest in the afternoon.
And, for at least 6 months I would hit a brick wall of tiredness about 7 each evening. I'd simply run out of energy.
Energy drain for TKRs
 
Spiffy! I think most knee people would be more than happy with that!
 
Thank you All! Your positive reinforcement was JUST what I needed!
 
Oh—Here’s another concern I have. I’m still taking 10mg of oxycodone every day, plus 3,000 of Tylenol — Does that Sound appropriate?
 
If depends how you feel. Is the 10 mg over a couple of different doses?
What I did with my pain meds was spread them out over longer times in between and then gradually eliminate doses. But it is a bit trial and error to figure out when you're ready.
 
Yes, I have cut the 5 mg oxycodone in half and spread them out over 24 hours. I’m taking each half with one 500 mg Tylenol. I’ve been on this regimen for probably the last 3 weeks.
It feels rather benign, but I’m wondering at what point do I try to tough it out without the narcotic?
 
If you're feeling good , you might try tylenol during the day and your 5 mg at night and see how it goes. My last narcotic to go was the one before bed, but I did take tylenol over the course of the day.
 
Looking for similar experiences and advice:
I’m 14 weeks post op eft TKR. Before the surgery, my left leg had become quite deformed and my pelvis and back twisted to adjust to it.
Now that my left leg is perfectly straight, I have mid-to-lower back pain that worsens as the day goes on.
It’s less pronounced if I use a cane, but at this stage I really don’t want to use the cane any more.
Any similar experience?
 
Im 8 weeks out and have back pain but my PT told me to sit down on the couch witH one leg stretched out on the couch and one on the floor, then bend at the waist and grab your foot and hold that stretch for a bit. Turn around on the couch and do the other leg. I do this every day and it has helped. Good luck!
 
HI @cmgknee
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom