Guest viewing is limited

THR Back in pain after 7 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @seamoose. I just wanted to stop by and say I'm sorry you've had to put up with all that pain, and I understand your anger. I had similar treatment pre-op: I went to the doctors 8 times in 15 months, telling them my legs hurt, and especially my R groin hurt, and the best they offered me was naproxen and anti-depressants! I started to think it probably WAS 'all in my head'! Finally, Googling and instinct suggested to me I might have something called hypermobility syndrome and I insisted on a rheumy referral, where they confirmed it, and their x-rays picked up multi-site arthritis and severe arthritis in my R hip - but even then, no-one thought to tell me! At last, I changed to a new doctor who spotted the problem immediately, and I got a referral to an OS, and within 5 months I had a new hip. It turns out there was an older x-ray showing moderate arthritis in my R hip taken when I first started complaining of pain, that I was told was 'normal'... But no-one remembered that x-ray when I kept going back and back complaining about the same pain. I am so angry with those old doctors sometimes: I swing between thinking I'll sue them and thinking life is too short and I should just move on... Anyway, I'm really glad you now seem to have found someone who'll listen to you and use their brains rather than their egos and preconceptions! Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow ! its incredible to hear this stuff . I always thought that doctors are doctors cause they want to help people .
How can you sit and listen to someones pain and then ignore the symptoms and the evidence . When i rebuild or repair a motor /pump/refrigeration unit or whatever at work. I return a few times to hear it run /test as i feel responsible that i've done everything right . And its only a machine i'm working on . We trust these guys with our bodies /our futures . How do they sleep at night ?/

I just got home from my grave shift and my records have arrived in the mail .In the pile I just found the mri report showing the damage dated received Jan 30 /14 ! So they had this info and in my file when they told me it was arthritis the next month my back and the next time it was the pictures don't lie nothing wrong with you maybe you need to see a shrink . I'd like to ##$%%%@@$$ to his knee if you know what I mean !!
 
@seamoose I just read right though this thread and see that you were offered the opinion that it was 'end of stem pain' which is a crock! End of stem pain does happen but it's fairly uncommon and usually short lived. In other words, it's the biggest fob-off going!

As for your torn cartilage:
I'm also concerned with weather I'm doing more damage to the knee by pushing on with my job . Anyone know anything about torn meniscus ??? does the damage get worse with use or is it just a pain and swelling thing ??
I'm afraid the answer is, yes, without a doubt you are. The damages cartilage will never heal and will get worse and worse, ultimately resulting in arthritic changes.
I feel like something gets caught in my outer thigh right around the incision. I have felt a knot there since the THR along with the skin numbness that goes with anterior cut
It's as I said before, overworked quads or other muscles.
But no one will look at my hip till a year is up
There is a reason for this: it's because we know that most post-op aches and pains will diminish over the months and most will be gone by 12 months out. So they make the patients wait and anything left over after the 12 months point they 'should' take note of. But sadly, it mostly means that they can forget about or the patient has got fed up and gone to someone else. Either way - they can forget about it!
How can you sit and listen to someones pain and then ignore the symptoms and the evidence We trust these guys with our bodies /our futures . How do they sleep at night ?
a question I have asked myself on numerous occasions! Beats me!
Josephine had logged in and from reading my post said that she thought my Quads were being over worked . She was right !!!!! without any pictures ,and not being able to see me walk she picked it out . So why is it she can hit the nail on the head after reading a short paragraph.
Well, don't like to declare this too often, but I am gifted with Divine Inspiration! :heehee:
 
Thank You for your time and comments Josephine .
Went to my primary today . They are sending me for some PT to try to help the knee till surgery , She said it will be some type of isometric training and heat /ice kind of thing so not to cause any more problems . Also she didn't like the way the hip area is acting when I bend is going to try to get me in for a mri to be sure everything is ok no loose cup or anything before touching the knee . I have gained about 10 lbs due to inactivity since the THR I haven't been hitting the gym or walking much when off due to the knee . So I'm on the no carb thing to loose 10 to 15 lbs . My primary has been a incredible help thru this , I can't say enough good about the staff there .
So the plan right now is to baby the knee wear the brace whenever standing , RICE whenever possible . Loose some weight . (No beer for the summer will suck ) Go for some PT and get a MRI of the hip .
Hopefully we can get the MRI OK ed and I'll have a apt with the guy that will study it first wk in july . If the hip is all ok then we will see how the knee is holding up and see when we will fix it . They want me to plan 4 to 6 weeks off afterward due to the nature of my work . If the knee craps out sooner they can get me in in 3 to 5 days and then I'll do what I have to. Also pray that the other hip that yet needs to be replaced hangs in till I can walk right again and get healthy .So we can do it all again . So I have a plan !!! It means a lot to me to have direction again . I feel somewhat in control again , just have to watch for those curve balls that are sure to come ! .
 
Well ,I was told that the pain in my thigh /and above the knee is called end of stem pain . its most likley caused by the bone flexing as I climb up the ladders and steps carrying weight . Or the tip of the implant may be moving the slightest and isn't seen in the x-ray . Never heard of this before but its common with the cement less implant
sometimes clears after time sometime stays .not much can be done for it !!! Sucks!!!next stop a pain management guy next week to see what he has in his box of tricks !!!

My mom's total hip implant came loose and caused her terrible upper and mid thigh pain. I don't know how the surgeon figured out what the problem was but she had to have a revision done and now has a really long stem implant.
 
New update ,i saw my back guy last week . We sit and discuss the problems I've had since surgery mainly the knee /thigh pain that has just continued to increase since I first walked after THR and my os ;s responses .He 's the kind of doc I'm used to .He listens ask some questions and then sits me down and explains what he thinks and what to do . Just like the old days a real doctor
He says that he sees no reason to look further at by back it is not the problem !The knee thing started as soon as I began to walk and I had no knee trouble in 15 yrs. So the trouble should be looked at by the os and the surgery's possible effects need to be exam ed by him .I explained that he (os)shows no interest /never actually examines or even seems interested . He tells me to call the joint institute that I went to and demand another doc as they have many there . So I do such
. Appt. on wednesday morn with the new guy .I have the wife come in case I loose my temper . He comes in with a bad head it seems ( i figure hes looking at me as a complainer ) and I explain my problems I think that he is giving me the run off as i point to the area in the thigh and show what causes the pain he says well thats odd .
I wanted to go over the desk and grab him but don't .so I go into hiper-drive .I had gone over all my notes here and the notes I had made prior to all my visits since the operation and made a quick read list while at work prior to coming in. I pull it out and start reading it to him on this date knee pain/at this hour i called /drugs I was given for knee bacisly a month of calling and reporting knee pain . then i loose it and say what i think about there star doc which turns his face red.But i got his attention! he states that the pictures don't lie and nothing is wrong ! .He thinks if anything is wrong I did something to the knee its not the hip and will send me for a mri . I agree its at least a start . I am just off from a 7 day 7pm to 7am shift and too wound up to go to sleep so I drive to the mri place and see when I can get a apt I have a extremly good ins plan and need no precerts or anything so this place sometimes will get me right in . As we are doing the paper work the girl ask if I needed to compare it to the one I had at another office a few mts ago ! I respond that I had a hip mri done at that date at the os .She says no it was the knee (the one the doc says has nothing wrong with ) I ask for a printed report and find that I have meniscus tear in the knee which was reported to the doc in Jan. !!!!!!!! Talk about being mad !!!! I go right back to the os and ask what the heck . Stating that the report or the date on it dosen't lie 'They then quickly take me into a room and offer a cortrzone shot by another doc which I take as at least it might get me thru a few days .I don't see the doc that I saw earlieror my first os which is good as i might have have shown him the damage a left hook can do . . I 'm not given any instructions on how bad or to come back . i'm happy to know what has been causing all this ,But Im ticked that I had to go 8 mts in pain because they don't want to know you after the surgery . I 'm told that a lot of manipulations of the leg are done during these ops and maybe happened during (not by them of course ).Also many years ago i had my knees scoped and i ve been rough on my body so mess happens also old knees .I don't blame them for the tear and doubt I could .But why the heck would they not take care of it right away .it looks like they tried to hide it from me as I was told last month that it was my back nothing wrong with the knee.I thought something was strange as they bill themself as a joint institute and spine institute . I'm well insured why not turn me on to one of there own if spine trouble was suspected ??? I 'd like to hear your thoughts on this whole deal as I don;t understand why??
Anyway this was my choice place to go after talking to the best in the area .I studied it for a long time They are ranked the highest . the op went well the care at the hospital and the staff at the docs office were just great .
But the Docs !!!!!! I can't write what I now think of them!!!Well I guess i have to shop for a new os to fix the knee and do the other hip as I can't imagine going back to these people after this . I'll write the chapter on the next hip as soon as i find someone that I can trust to do it and provide care afterward . I guess its all about the money not taking care of the patent .i'll be back soon Seamoose

Man! Sorry to hear it's a torn meniscus - I've torn my right knee's meniscus twice and my left knee once. I think they keep tearing because my right is bone on bone and my left is close behind. With all that being said, the torn meniscus can cause all kinds of havoc with your walking....your body is compensating for the tear, you are walking differently, and now your muscles are screaming and hate your guts. I will keep reading your Posts to see if repairing the tear helps with your pain.
 
Hi guys ,
Thought I'd get back with a update on whats going on . I had a mri on the hip and nothing notable on it tendons within normal limits no joint effusion ,there is a small amount of joint fluid. whatever all that means ????
However he notes that in one picture he sees the other hip and remarks that there is moderate area of avascular
necrosis with femoral head collapse. which wasn't seen in my last years mri so the limping has taken its toll on the right hip . The necrosis has been evident for 20 yrs but not the collapse . Just when you think your screwed you find out you really are !!!
I went for x rays and mri of my back today to see if maybe the back is causing the pain in the left thigh as they think this is nerve pain . the doc doubts its the back but has to eliminate that first . then we will go from there .
Hopefully whatever is wrong with the hip can be fixed along with the knee and we can get back on track to fix the other hip before it stops me from walking . I 've been going to therapy for the knee and wearing a brace at work and getting by with it all . So i'm getting closer to building up fmla leave to get it all fixed again . All depends on what the hip needs to be right .They want me off for 6 weeks after cutting the knee . So i'm hoping that the hip can be fixed during that time too .I know I'm dreaming as they are going to say they have to worry about infection so one has too heal before they fix the other . And the right hip has to keep working for another year till I again build up time to get that fixed . Thank God for Beer and Jose for Margareta s ,as thats about all that getting me by right now !!! Thanks for your support guys , Seamoose
 
[Bonesmart.org] Back in pain after 7 months
I am so sorry, @seamoose, that you are having all these problems. It does seem unfair---life can be such a bummer sometimes. Don't overdo the Beer and Jose---they can get you in a lot of trouble if you're not careful.

Please take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Back in pain after 7 months
 
Boy, you definitely have some challenges ahead! So sorry. But you have a level-headed approach (even with the beer and Margaritas working on you!) and that will help you get through it all. We're here if you need us. Please do let us know how things are going.
 
Hey Frank @seamoose sorry you have all this happening but as Jamie says your do have a great approach to it all. I sincerely hope your time passes quickly for the knee and the other hip and you can get some positive answers and relief for that pesky hip.
 
Hi Guys , Well I made it to September .
Every day that passes now adds to my fmla bank to get my knee repaired .I was offered to try something new where a sugar based substance is injected into the joint and causes swelling which in turn enables healing .I haven't researched it yet but if it didn't work I would still be able to get scoped to fix it.It is called promotherapy I have the info and have to investigate .
As far as my hip replacement problems (thigh pain ) I spoke with two different ortho s and both are at a loss as to what is going on inside the hip. The two choices are;
1: Pull it all apart and do it again and risk being in worse shape . I can walk upright ok now just can't bend and return without pain.
2; Adapt and overcome ! I 've gone for door number 2 .
And have been making some headway . I've found a PT that sat down and studied what hurts and is trying to find out why . I have been spending a hr every three days working with him . First heat is applied to the hip then he manipulates the tendon which runs down the outer side of the leg (Itband) This is a bit painful even though its been a year since the operation . He says my tendons are too tight ! We discussed that possibly cause is my hip was collapsed for so many years then putting in the new hip stretched everything out ???? At least it makes sense mechanically to me !
Afterward I go through the same exercises that I did for original recovery then stretching the tendons in the leg and calf .I also wear sneakers as much as possible .When I have to Ive been allowed at work to wear very light work boots not the ones that I normally am required to wear ( the required ones still will cause me to start limping again )I also use the elevators instead of the steps .I wear a brace on my knee and when I go up ladders I use my other leg to step up as my replaced side still tires easily . By following the above I have been able to double how far I can walk and in the last 2 weeks I can bend all the way over and return upright slowly without the screaming pain in the thigh . So i'm getting somewhere and now I am gaining time off .
The job situation here has turned much worse with 3 casinos closing and near 6000 people out of work all at once in S jersey . My wife had her last day at Revel Casino on Sunday as they locked the doors . So I have to keep going to keep our health benefits .
 
I think you mean "prolotherapy" instead of "promotherapy." There have been a couple of small studies done that showed improvements with this treatment, so it's certainly something you could try.
 
Gosh @seamoose , so sorry you are still having to cope with pain. That coupled with the job situation can't be easy. Hang in there - and please do keep us updated!
 
Do glad there is some improvements for you ...hope they continue x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So sorry to read you are having such pain and life is tough for you and your wife. We are here to support you @seamoose - do keep us updated.
 
I have been looking for some kind of validation of my own experiences with my total right hip replacement. While your case is extreme I feel a connection some how. 4 weeks after my THR I felt a sharp snap in the hip and felt excruciating pain. It felt like all the recovery of the first 4 weeks which up to that point was great, had been destroyed. I went to the OS and told him about it. After an x-ray he said everything looks fine and that the muscle that had been sewn together after being split lengthwise to replace the joint may have torn a little. OK......To make a very long 3 year and 17 different visits to him and pain management specialists and neurosurgeons, story short. He goes in to trim off the scar that MAY be irritating the greater bursa and finds a ligament that had pulled loose and re-attached it. I've been sitting here thinking for the last few days that THAT sharp pain 4 weeks out was probably that ligament pulling off. It's only been 5 days since the operation but I already feel better. So I feel your frustration and pain with Drs' that seem like they are giving you the bums rush when you complain about a problem or that you have a "pain threshold" problem !! I just hope that I continue to improve and that you my friend will find the fix you deserve.
 
Hi Guys , Just a little update. Finished PT last month and I'm trying to continue on my own ,going to the same rehab place as a monthly visitor and doing the same thing on my own with some supervision When I have the energy !. Work has gotten ugly ! One of my coworkers resigned after a heart attack .His Doc told him he was killing himself with the hours we work They haven't replaced him so we are now on 7 /12hr days and revolving .I'm on 7 pm to 7 am for 7 then off one then 3am to 3pm for 7 . I've decided I'd like to stay alive and healthy so i'm having a resume made up and going try to find something else before I drop . The leg has come around quite a bit from the pt .The knee is still hanging on.Every now and then it will act up but considering the hours and the miles I put on and still haven't repaired the damage . I 'm a bit concerned about getting the injections and the docs have some fear about what my results will be if they scope it as its been done twice years ago . So I'm dealing with it no swelling just gets unhappy when I forget its there and start strutting .Work hasn't helped as I'm on my feet all the time easily put on 5 to 8 miles a day . Hopefully I'll find a steam engineer job again ,would be nice to have a life outside of work also .Less walking and my knee might last a few more years too !! I even had to cancel my vacation as we haven't the manpower to run the place !! Its amazing so many people out of work and companies would rather pay tons of OT than hire personal . 25 years ago I could maintain this but now I feel horrible all the time . Well I'll be 59 next week I guess its time to try to act my age !!!!!
 
@seamoose , I'm exhausted just reading about your gruelling schedule! Take it easy - life is too short! I hope you can find other work - times are tough I know! Please keep us updated!
 
That's a sad case when your company management refuses to realize the strain they are putting on their workers! I agree that a new job is needed for you. Reasonable work is fine, but yours seems to have become a sweatshop! Hang in there!!!
 
Hi Jaycey and Jamie, Its good to hear from you ! Hope all is good . I'm doing a lot better after my primary hooked me up with this PT . He did a great job of getting me going again . I'm trying to keep up with the exercises as he said he feared I will go backwards again if I stop . I guess I have a lot of worn out parts that want to fall apart now .
Anyway the job situation sucks as I love what I do and will hate to leave .I love mechanical work and here I get to use every thing I've learned in schools and on other jobs .Its rarely boring, always something you haven't seen before .And the people that run the place are the nicest and most appreciative I ever served . I don't want to start new but don't see a choice in it all .
Even with having 11% unemployment (I read in todays paper we are near the highest in the country now that 4 casinos closed ) They haven't been able to get anyone to take the opening we have for 6 weeks .As soon as they hear the shifts they walk away.And we are at the top pay scale for what we do . If you're raising a family its going to hurt your home life kids won't know you. Most couples can't deal with as you get miserable while adjusting to the sleep changes and its just bad for your health . Funny thing I work for one of the largest maintenance companies in the world .(Not the people that run this building we are on contract to them) and this company is safety crazy . We have safety meetings every day take monthly safety test on line ,have to wear all kinds of safety gear. But they don't consider how easy it is to make a mistake when your zombie tired and your playing with high voltage or some of the large toys we work on . Then again the people I work for are out in the midwest somewhere and probably haven't a clue what we are doing here in NJ ! They just send the paycheck for the amount of hours we turn in probably just a computer that pays us .
Great hearing from you ! Seamoose
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom