Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back Again

I just have a large cat who is a real mama's boy to worry about. one son in residence to assist the husband so i should also have enough lifting power should i need it. my quads are still very strong on both knees, and I am stretching daily to at least maintain a rom of near 0 to 120+
 
I have just this week and two days next week of school left. Then it is prepping for surgery. Not a whole lot of time, but I will do what I can to prepare.
 
my muscles are doing fine, but I cant walk or stand or carry anything. I just hope my insurance doesnt deny me and delay things
 
I measured from my room to the room I will co-teach in next year. 25 steps. Bathroom 12 steps (about halfway between us). I already spoke with that teacher as a heads-up. She is totally on board with whatever I may need at that point. With the hubby here, he can drive us both, or if I am driving at that point because it is my left knee, he can drop me off in front after I park my car. That, we can figure out when we get closer to school return next year. Looking around my room, the only real difference is my teacher desk placement. I will need to have it closer to the connection for the projector so I do not have to get up/down as much at least in the beginning.

@Jo Wo I can walk a bit, but the walk from the building to my car hurts so bad by the time I get to the car. I have been doing a lot of curbside grocery shopping as I can only tolerate about 2-3 aisles before it becomes more than I can take. The doc already gave me paperwork for a placard so that helps a little bit when I am out.
 
yeah, I cant do a big grocery trip either, selected aisles only. husband dispatched with a list, but i like to get some of the stuff only i eat. we have different food preferences
 
@Jo Wo I am lucky. My younger son works at local grocery chain, so I can always have him bring home an item or so if I need it.

Today I am working on my "nest" items. I have my bottled water, so it is the Gatorade, healthy snacks, etc that I am starting to plan out, as well as some make-ahead meals to get my men started in those first crazy days that I may still be hospitalized. I have about 3 weeks between the end of school and surgery. I may work out some plans with them on meals that are easy and healthy so that they do not just get me fast food out of convenience. I can still do grocery shopping from the app and have them pick it up. Just getting all the recipes written is what I still need to do.
 
ah yes two men to feed here as well. I already precooked two pounds of ground beef, and will make double batches of chili, meat sauce, and tacos for them, and for myself, air fry some chicken cutlets ahead of time. bags of steam fresh veggies and I will be good for a few days. been eating light lately and will stick to that to drop more weight. I got myself down from obese bmi to overweight, but it's been slow due to inactivity. what types of pt do they do at home? do they do it in your bedroom or living room? I need to know to de clutter the right place
 
I have never had in-home pt. I just got my appt scheduled with who will be my pt for this recovery, and it is the same person I had for both my foot and the first tkr. I am actually happy with her, so I am "sorta" looking forward to being worked over by her :heehee:

As for decluttering....
Definitely go through your house and try to make whatever walking pathways you have clear. That is a big one. The last thing you want to have happen is to trip on something. Make sure small rugs are either secured or just pick up for now while you are healing. For me, the big thing is dog toys. I have charged my men with being vigilant about that. I have one of those reach-n-grab things, but those big dog bones can sometimes be difficult to grab with those.

Have you checked out the items that are recommended to have/get for your hospital stay and recovery at home? Those helped greatly when I was going through my first TKR.
 
I was planning on test driving my walker around the house and rolling up the throw rugs. hubs got me a teacher at harbor freight this weekend. need to order a leg lifter and toilet riser. I have a shower chair and a cane and crutches. my pt place is only 5 minutes from here. if someone gives me a sheet of exercises to do for a few weeks, i am sure i will be ok with that. the cat is old and not many toys around. I ordered a bidet bottle so I can put off a full shower for a few days. I gave my mom one when she was on hospice and could only be moved from bed to bedside commode. it allows you to freshen up and give your privates a good wash and warm rinse while on the toilet. I am surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it here.
 
I'm up early. scrolling through FB I found a link with a boatload of crockpot prep and freeze meals. This is perfect for my cooking challenged men. I have a free period since my senior students finished a couple of days ago. I am going to write up the recipes and put them into plastic sleeves in a small notebook. The plan will be to prep freezer bags ahead so my men can pretty much heat/eat. This will help with portion control and with decreasing the fast food convenience excuse. I have space because we have an extra freezer. Just need to make a calendar and plan it all out.
 
for many years before I retired, I was on very frequent business travel, so my husband can cook. mostly meals involving ground beef. it's going to be grilling season so he can handle that as well. I will probably precook some chicken based meals and freeze, plus some soups for myself. costco panko chicken cutlets and costco lasagne are usually in the freezer.
 
So today we finished the school year. What a crazy year! A church uses our facilities on Sundays. Today they gave us a goodie bag. Pretty much all the little things I need for the hospital stay.

mints, gum, chapstick, mini hand sanitizer bottle, some small snacks, and a toothbrush (this was sponsored by a local dentist who is with the church). I can now check these small items off my list.
 
So today we finished the school year. What a crazy year! A church uses our facilities on Sundays. Today they gave us a goodie bag. Pretty much all the little things I need for the hospital stay.

mints, gum, chapstick, mini hand sanitizer bottle, some small snacks, and a toothbrush (this was sponsored by a local dentist who is with the church). I can now check these small items off my list.
Congrats on being done for the school year!

I haven't made a list yet. I need to make a calendar or schedule from the instructions the nurse sent me. stop taking nsaids, start taking iron, get this clearance and that clearance, I think the schedule heats up on June 1.

I went to cvs and got a few things, including poise pads, which I don't normally need but someone in the recovery forum posted that she had a few days of leakage till the nerve block wore off.

I spent time this week going through the eobs and Bills from all the medical visits. tedious, and the Bill's had errors I had to dispute.
 
I have been busy.

I am getting my workshops done now. We are getting a new English curriculum. Want to begin some planning now for fall so all my energy is devoted to rest and recover after surgery.

Brought home my class fridge and microwave. We set that up in our bedroom on a 24"x48" folding table. Put the water bottle packs underneath it. Today, our grocery outlet had the Jimmy Dean egg mcmuffin style breakfasts 12 pack. Got those in that fridge, so breakfasts are done. Still need to get some healthy snacks to stock in it. So far, I have prepped 16 dinner meats and have them frozen for my hubby. Trying to make this an easier process for him (and our boys) when doing dinners.

Getting our AC serviced this week. The last thing we need is a breakdown while I am laid up during the peak of summer.

3 weeks to go. Next week is hospital meeting and physical therapist meeting. Plus, I am sending hubby out of state for a week to visit his family. We haven't seen them in 2 years. It is his bday present. So he will get a mini vacation before my surgery.
 
@Kazilla.....were you planning on starting OneStep as a prehab activity or were you going to wait until you were in recovery? Either way, I need you to download the app from the email that was sent to you so that you are officially registered. Please let them know if you prefer to wait until after your surgery to start. I don't want you to miss the window for the free use of the app.
 
I didn't check my email. It was the hubby's bday this past long weekend:). I just went over and downloaded it. I need to start post TKR.
 
is one step something I should look into? I really want to get a normal gait again. I have been limping for months and I know that my ltkr will realign my bowed leg.
 
I have been busy.

I am getting my workshops done now. We are getting a new English curriculum. Want to begin some planning now for fall so all my energy is devoted to rest and recover after surgery.

Brought home my class fridge and microwave. We set that up in our bedroom on a 24"x48" folding table. Put the water bottle packs underneath it. Today, our grocery outlet had the Jimmy Dean egg mcmuffin style breakfasts 12 pack. Got those in that fridge, so breakfasts are done. Still need to get some healthy snacks to stock in it. So far, I have prepped 16 dinner meats and have them frozen for my hubby. Trying to make this an easier process for him (and our boys) when doing dinners.

Getting our AC serviced this week. The last thing we need is a breakdown while I am laid up during the peak of summer.

3 weeks to go. Next week is hospital meeting and physical therapist meeting. Plus, I am sending hubby out of state for a week to visit his family. We haven't seen them in 2 years. It is his bday present. So he will get a mini vacation before my surgery.
@Kazilla you are doing great with your preps! We just bought Jimmy Dean's too, and I put some packets of instant oatmeal near my electric kettle upstairs. haven't done as much as I should with the freeze ahead plan. I have two meals worth of browned ground beef frozen, two costco lasagnas, some costco panko chicken cutlets, and three packages of frozen uncooked ground beef. I am getting some snack packs of those little peanut butter crackers to keep upstairs for med time at aldi today.

also need to get serious about some spring cleaning.

my preop is 6/10, a pt prehab on the 15th, final check by my gp on the 17th and covid test on 6/20. got my dental clearance yesterday. it feels like things are speeding up.
 
my pre-op (labs, anesthesia)is 6/8 as is my pt prehab appt. (at same hospital back to back appts). I don't know my covid test, but definitely not looking forward to that brain tickler again. LOL. Brought home a small 3 drawer plastic storage from my classroom for my nightstand. That should keep an inquisitive coonhound from getting to any of my recovery meds.
Spring cleaning for me is next week.
 
froze two quarts of leftover meat sauce, and one more precooked ground beef. tomorrow is a date with some chicken and the ninja foodi. today I rested and worked on charity knitting and crochet projects.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom