Guest viewing is limited

THR Avulsion fracture after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TajMahal Great news and congratulations! No pain pills for you, fantastic! We newbies live for that day :)
 
@TajMahal Yay! Glad it was good news at your check up. :)
I remember reading an article about lysine a while back and I believe it helps in the absorption of calcium in your body but am not 100%. Give you something else to google and learn about. :)
 
@gertie, just went and read your thread, remembering my own bout with a rehab facility back in 2010 when I had a TKR. I too, live alone, and my surgeon insisted I go to a rehab (he even twisted the arm of my insurance company who initially didn't want to pay for it). I was grateful for the support, but my stay was a bit challenging like yours. Yes, the food was awful. And my first roommate suffered from dementia and wept and moaned all night. When she was finally moved, I was so relieved, though I felt tremendous compassion for her. Luckily, the pain medications were strong enough that I was able to sleep.

I found a great article about bone healing and nutrition on-line. You might find it interesting too. broken link removed: https://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf

Good luck with your sweet cat. My little guys also just want to be close to me, but they seem to sense my lap is off limits temporarily. They're quite curious about the walker, though after six weeks having it around, it now merits just a sniff or two.

Best of luck to you, and welcome home! And let me echo everyone's cautions about not overdoing it with PT. My surgeon seems to agree with Josephine that gentle walking is the best therapy, so he never ordered PT for me. Still, I'm pretty sure that it was my over-enthusiastic overdoing of things that may have led to my avulsion fracture, so just be extra careful not to push yourself!
 
@Postalgal - thanks, Debbie! I am glad not to need the pain meds anymore, though I'm glad to have them on hand in case I have a bad night or overdo it. For some reason, this time I wasn't the least bit concerned with becoming dependent on them, probably because I really took only minimal doses and began spacing even those out longer and longer after the first week or so. In 2010, I had a TKR and had to take them for much longer, and ignorantly tried to go off them abruptly when I returned home after 10 days in rehab. Boy, was that a mistake! I did go through a mini-withdrawal for a few days that was quite nasty, but I was just stupid about it. Weeks later at my 6- week checkup when I told my OS about it, he said "Oh, if only you had called us, we'd have told you to gradually reduce the dose and the frequency..." Wish I'd understood more about it before then. I'm smarter now! I'm not even taking ibuprofen anymore, since I've read that NSAIDs interfere with bone building, and I'm trying to heal this fracture. So far, so good! Hope you're doing well too!

@Tweetybrd, thanks! Yes, I read about lysine too -- in fact, here's a pretty cool article about nutrients and bone healing. You might find it interesting too! broken link removed: https://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf
 
@TajMahal Thank you for the link. The article seemed slightly familiar--I bet I found it when I was healing from the broken ankle--great information. I wonder if the advice to eat more calories applies to those of us w uncemented implants:heehee:
 
@TajMahal Thanks for the link! It is a really interesting article and I have saved it for future reference. It talks about healing bone for fractures but I'm sure all the same applies when regrowing bone around the implant.
Hope you are doing well today. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom