• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR at the other end of the pool...

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
the knee flat (don’t know what it’s called) is at 5 or -5? almost all the way down, but not quite...PT said no worries
It is +5 when your knee is almost flat. -5 is when it is hyperextended and the foot comes off of the floor with your knee flat.

A good way to check extension yourself is like this:

1. put your leg on a bench, seat, bed, floor or anything similar but preferably something fairly firm.
2. with not too much pressure, press the back of your knee down - use your leg muscles, not your hand!
3. slide your hand, palm down, under the back of your knee
a) if you can get your entire hand under easily, it's probably about +10 degrees
b) if you can get just your fingers under, it's about +5
c) if you can get your fingers under but it's a push, it's +0
d) if you can't get your fingers under at all, it's -5 or more

Here's a graphic to explain the degrees involved

knee ROM small.jpg

The freedom to drive is a wonderful feeling! I felt like a new woman when I was cut loose. The OS said I could drive at 6 weeks, but I was still insecure and waiting to my 7th week. I had someone go with me the first time, just in case.

REDSING57

Country
United States United States
Hi Katie, I noticed we have the same surgery date. In Sept I had my 2nd TKA, June was my first. I can't imagine having to ride the bus like you have, what a trooper! I'm so glad I had both knees done and thrilled to find this forum. Hope you keep getting stronger and look forward to hearing about your 2nd knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mitzi107
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom