Guest viewing is limited

TKR Arrangrls RKR Journey

Oh Arrangrl, now you have a broken heart to heal too.
Thoughts are with you, I know exactly what a nightmare you’re going through.
Thank you
I’m not in tears every day now which is progress xx
 
Jan you are doing great with the walks, I started out at 10 mins today, I am not sure how or when to increase it my time from that point. maybe add a minute every 3 days?
Hi Jo
My aim is 20 this week / next week but it’s so warm here in Scotland , even going out this morning , I only managed 18 minutes today . I am increasing my walk every 2 weeks by 5 minutes- if my knee feels it’s ok
The next challenge is going down to 1 stick as It’s recommended by my team that it’s 2 outdoors till week 6

Little step by little step Jo :) x
 
Hi everyone

The blasted swollen leg!!! It’s very warm here in Scotland today , which I know isn’t helping but from around 6pm every evening my leg from knee down is swollen and feels tight ! By morning and numerous journeys over night to the bathroom. It’s fine ! Any tips- other than elevating as I struggle to get my leg high enough above my heart

Thank you guys

Jan
 
While swelling is expected at this point, maybe you’re doing more activity than your knee is ready for, and that’s why it swells so much in the evening, and is so much better by morning. 3 weeks is very early days. Try cutting back some activity and see if that helps. Continue to ice and elevate during the day.
 
Thanks - I am struggling with the correct elevation but icing regularly and did less today . I’m sure this heat isn’t helping at all though


I’m trying to remain positive but I’m finding the loss of my independence hard to deal with . I’m the type that’s always out and about and being stuck at home ( been out couple times) difficult. I’ve never felt “ lonely “ in my own company but feel some days are so so long!!!
 
It is a drag not being able to just pick up and go, but this is healing time so it's for a good cause. The days seem to all be pretty much the same in the early days of recovery. It sounds like you've been out briefly which is good. I think sometimes I liked PT as much for the "outing" as for the physical therapy. :heehee: I'd do what I could to vary my routine.
I would walk a little outside some days. I had a friend who liked to call to check in every few days (we'd talk about 10 minutes) and so on.
 
Arrangirl, look at it as an investment. You rest now and are less active so that, in a matter of a few months, you will be able to function without limitation and pain!
 
Arrangirl, do you have any hobbies to help pass the rest time? It makes the time go by faster for me.
 
Arrangirl, look at it as an investment. You rest now and are less active so that, in a matter of a few months, you will be able to function without limitation and pain!
Hi Pat
Yeah I will look at it from this perspective … Rome was not built in a day after all x
 
Hi Arrangal, I'm so sorry about your cat! I also have an elder cat, Magpie, who is 20 and dealing with kidney issues plus does her hollering whenever we're not near her, even if it's her choice to go down the hallway. That hollering probably started when we were in Portland throughout 2019 and people were coming to feed her, but not spending much time with her (Dan was treated for leukemia in Portland, a 3 hour drive...)

I found that when it's hot, I need to drink far more water! I wonder if your additional swelling could be partially dehydration?

When I was in the early weeks of this recovery, I found projects to do on the computer with my legs up: compiling figures for projects for the house, or my business, tracking details about my electric car, to better see what I'm saving with it vs using our older hybrid car, etc.

Hang in there! It really does get better and better as time wends on... At 12 week now, I can pretty much do most things in a normal day, but I DO still pay the price by nighttime swelling if I overdo. The ODIC isn't as easy to sneak into now, though! But, at your stage I regularly overdid things!
 
Hang in there!! I am now 5 months post op! I have had 3 knee surgeries in my life, this one was #4, and getting the R tkr will be #5.
The others were meniscus, and so much easier to get over!
With that said, my LTKR is now my strong knee. I still get a bit sore when I over do it, but it is so much better!! I am actually starting to look forward to getting the other one done!!
It just takes time, sprinkled with a ton of patience!!
Be well.
 
Hi Arrangal: I am 14 weeks post-op. My husband and I just hosted good friends for 4 days at our beach house. We walked on the beach, did short hikes around two of our local state parks, and walked around our picturesque beach town. I'm happy to report that my baby knee carried me through all of those adventures. It wasn't until the 3rd evening that I noticed some slight achiness in my leg. No worries! Elevated and iced that baby and all is well.
 
Afternoon folks

I have been quiet on here of late, trying to spend less time on tech and more on things like reading , music etc!
So anyway , hope everyone is doing ok. I am now 7 weeks post op, doing ok, I think ! I have my post op review on Monday , so I have a few questions for the health professionals. I’m sticking to my hospital programme of PT recovery , moving around indoors now , no sticks, outside 1 stick. Few days ago I have developed a new pain in my knee, noticeable when I stand up from my chair . My wound is clean, dry , not red or inflamed. I’m wondering if I have turned on it , the wrong way, or hurt it during the night when asleep?? Anyway I will of course mention this on Monday. My leg still swells up in the evening , so uncomfortable during the night !! Maybe I am doing too much?? I don’t know what too much is!
Take care x
 
I have developed a new pain in my knee
Maybe I am doing too much??
Most likely, cut back your activity during the day, by 25% to 50% and see if that helps, then work back up. Taking it easy for a day or two/three may help let your knee settle down.

Keep us posted on you Monday review,
Chris
 
the temptation to do too much seems high at this point in recovery. I went out to pull weeds for about 30 minutes this morning and although my knee feels ok the past few hours, I have no stamina and have taken a short nap!

I hope the doctor puts your mind at ease on Monday and that it's nothing to worry about.
 
Definitely Skechers , I've worn them prior to my TKR and after, they're so comfy , like walking on air.
Lots of different styles, I'm wearing their sandals at the moment. I must own 20 plus pairs.
Good luck
 
Hi Arrangal, I'm so sorry about your cat! I also have an elder cat, Magpie, who is 20 and dealing with kidney issues plus does her hollering whenever we're not near her, even if it's her choice to go down the hallway. That hollering probably started when we were in Portland throughout 2019 and people were coming to feed her, but not spending much time with her (Dan was treated for leukemia in Portland, a 3 hour drive...)

I found that when it's hot, I need to drink far more water! I wonder if your additional swelling could be partially dehydration?

When I was in the early weeks of this recovery, I found projects to do on the computer with my legs up: compiling figures for projects for the house, or my business, tracking details about my electric car, to better see what I'm saving with it vs using our older hybrid car, etc.

Hang in there! It really does get better and better as time wends on... At 12 week now, I can pretty much do most things in a normal day, but I DO still pay the price by nighttime swelling if I overdo. The ODIC isn't as easy to sneak into now, though! But, at your stage I regularly overdid things!
Thank you.. hope Magpie is ok x
 
Good to hear from you again, Arrangrl!

I can relate to this pain! I probably have a similar pain when I stand up from being seated and I worked on it with a Pilates person I'm able to get back in to see. She analyzed what I was doing and it was that my good 'ol butt muscles were still trying to be on vacation! She has given me some exercises to do at home to recruit the glute muscles to working again, something they got to sit out when I was so favoring this leg prior to surgery.

I recall my PT reminding me to use my butt muscles, too, before I was released form PT, so it seems, in my case, at least, to be a thing I'll just need to work on. What I do now, is, before I stand up, I deliberately, thoughtfully remind my glutes to activate, and, lo and behold! My knee isn't as sore! So, for me, this is helping. Maybe talk to your PT about it, too? They might be able to do likewise: analyze your standing movements to help you figure out what will help? I bet they might be helpful...
 
Good to hear from you again, Arrangrl!

I can relate to this pain! I probably have a similar pain when I stand up from being seated and I worked on it with a Pilates person I'm able to get back in to see. She analyzed what I was doing and it was that my good 'ol butt muscles were still trying to be on vacation! She has given me some exercises to do at home to recruit the glute muscles to working again, something they got to sit out when I was so favoring this leg prior to surgery.

I recall my PT reminding me to use my butt muscles, too, before I was released form PT, so it seems, in my case, at least, to be a thing I'll just need to work on. What I do now, is, before I stand up, I deliberately, thoughtfully remind my glutes to activate, and, lo and behold! My knee isn't as sore! So, for me, this is helping. Maybe talk to your PT about it, too? They might be able to do likewise: analyze your standing movements to help you figure out what will help? I bet they might be helpful...
Thank you !
I will mention this tomorrow - I do feel as if I’m putting all my weight on my knees/ legs when I’m standing up ..so maybe some exercises would def help take pressure off them .
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
Back
Top Bottom