Revision TKR ArmyVet's recovery thread<<

@ArmyVet, first - thanks for your service! (ps I’m not Navy but work in defense). Second - congrats on the new knee. As you’ve probably figured out by now, the key to a good recovery is managing pain, keeping your knee iced and elevated, and getting plenty of rest. You indicate that you’ve been sleeping fine so far, but don’t be surprised if that changes around week 2 or 3. Many of us have shared issues with falling and staying asleep. Hoping you will miss that part of the experience!
 
Update after therapy, 10 days post TKR... 90 degrees flexion and 10 degrees straight (forgot what that is called!). Therapist said I'm doing great. The swelling is starting to go down- I can see wrinkles in my skin instead of what looks like sausage casing, and I'm feeling pretty good!!!
 
Today, I've had more pain in my knee than I have had since BEFORE my surgery. I am concerned because I see my surgeon on Thursday to remove my staples, but I run out of my pain meds TOMORROW... Are most docs willing to give a 2nd course of pain meds or not?? I'm doing ok most of the time, but today, I wanted to commit murder, and I can't remember crying so hard from pain in a LONG time..
 
Doctors write narcotic prescription for no refills. I called my OS office and the pain medication was refilled. Of course you are still in pain, less than two weeks out from surgery. You might not have much success calling your OS office over the weekend, call first thing Monday morning.
 
Doctors write narcotic prescription for no refills. I called my OS office and the pain medication was refilled. Of course you are still in pain, less than two weeks out from surgery. You might not have much success calling your OS office over the weekend, call first thing Monday morning.

I will. No worries. It's just because they are narcotic, I was worried the doc would think I'm some sort of druggie..
 
Heavens no, they don’t think we are druggie! They are one who sawed our knee in half, hammered , and cemented back together!
 
My OS gave me short prescriptions but I'd call the office and talk to the nurse about how I was doing and my how often I was taking the meds and I'd get a refill. They want to monitor you--which I thought was a good thing.
 
Anybody had staples?? I've never had staples anywhere, so I am wondering what it's gonna feel like when they pull the staples on Thursday morning...
 
I just felt a little pulling when they removed my staples. Your knee will feel better once they are out.
 
I had staples, no problems with removal. Use a staple remover, then steristip it.
 
Anybody had staples?? I've never had staples anywhere, so I am wondering what it's gonna feel like when they pull the staples on Thursday morning...
I was also concerned; all of of them came out very easily. I winded at on that was a little more challenging but nothing to be concerned about. My knee felt so much better after they were removed but I'm sure that was more psychological. Still... an important milestone
 
I had mine removed Friday. 10 days PO, 38 staples and can honestly say that I only felt three of them being removed, and those were not painful really. There is nothing to worry about and you will feel so much better when they are out. Although I was a bit wary of opening up the incision as it was only day 10 and they did not even steri strip it. It has all been fine though.
 
I have 29 staples. I can see where the skin has grown together already (it's been 14 days post op today!), but I can't wait to get rid of them and SCRATCH, and use lotion!! Is it Thursday am yet?? Oh, and I called and talked to my doc's nurse and I pick up my pain rx in the morning to have it refilled. My swelling has gone down very much, but I'm still swollen in my ankle and foot. But I see skin wrinkles, and there is "room" in my calf, instead of it feeling like a sausage, so I know I am doing better!!!

I laughed at my therapist today. He said I could bring my cane with me to therapy on Wednesday. He wants to get me walking back closer to "normal." I told him I had been using my cane for so long, I forget what it's like to walk normal, and I may have to learn how to walk again putting full weight on my now fixed right leg, since I've been using a cane to walk for the last 10 years!!!!
 
, and use lotion!
No lotion on that incision until it’s fully healed! :bignono:

I’m glad you can see your swelling is less, that’s always a happy thing!
 
16 days post op. Extension 9 degrees, Flexion 120 degrees!!!! I WILL get that leg straight soon!!! Tomorrow I see my surgeon to remove staples, then another therapy appt, since my therapist is doing a neck class Fri-Sun, and I can't see him Friday!! Therapist suggested I try walking backwards, as that will help straighten my leg, so that's what I will be practicing this weekend!!!! Feel pretty good, only pain on medial side(inside) of knee, but I hear that's pretty common...
 
I would never have attempted walking backwards at 2 weeks post op!

PT put me in a pool at 4 weeks post op and had me walk backwards and I was a nervous wreck.

There is no rush to get your leg straight, it’s only been 2 weeks. It will happen.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom