Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Arizona2003's TKR Feb. 17, 2020 Recovery Thread

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Jamie can best answer this for you. Here in Europe it's called Voltaren and comes in pill and Gel format. Usually here you can buy smaller doses over the counter without a prescription and here(Portugal ) is usually used in Gel form to rub directly onto the skin.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Tylenol is better and safer than Diclofenac.
See Jamie's post above (Post #16) for how to take it.

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
My GP recommended Diclofenac Sodium as a pain killer and substitute for opioids. The list of side effects is frightening. Any thoughts?
I took different NSAIDS for at least 35 years, off and on, because of arthritis in multiple joints. Diclofenac did the best for me and I took it for the last 10 years. I was prescribed 20mg twice a day. I was taking it only once a day, so half of a prescribed dosage. I started having stomach and gut problems so I went and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, so both upper and lower exams. It was found that I have several stomach ulcers and was told to stop the Diclofenac. I've cut back to 1 pill 2 times a week. My arthritis has gotten worse, but my stomach has gotten better! I highly recommend you stay off of all NSAIDS. They can also cause heart problems. I'll leave you the link to our article.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...rease-risk-of-heart-problems-new-study.20142/

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I agree with Celle. NSAIDs aren't very good pain relievers for post op patients. I would never suggest they should be substituted for opioid pain relievers....that's like comparing apples and oranges.

OP
OP
A

Arizona2003

Country
Five weeks this Monday and things are going as predicted. I can walk pain free but long walks and grade changes tend to make the knee hurt at night. The main problem area for me is stomach upset, nausea and constipation. I take a drug for nausea and it causes constipation. Don't know what to try next.

sistersinhim

Country
I found Miralax to be very helpful in relieving constipation, also, craisons and mixed nuts. Lots of water is a must!

pamsknees

Country
When my PT from home health came out, she recommended warm prune juice. It sounded weird to me but I was willing to try anything by then . It worked well

OP
OP
A

Arizona2003

Country
Thanks for all the advice.It is hard to overstate how valuable this forum has been for me. The main thing it has done is present the "other side" of the argument. My doctor believes in aggressive PT. My PT guy doesn't push too much and thanks to Bonesmart I know when to say enough. So I have done much less PT than either would recommend and my recovery seems to be right on target, Thanks.

OP
OP
A

Arizona2003

Country
Six weeks out and doing much better. My doc recommends strength training basically consisting of extending the leg with ankle weights and going for longer hold times. Is this consistent with bonesmart's advice?

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m glad to see you are doing better and coming along nicely. Bonesmart does not recommend weights this early in recovery, your knee needs more healing time. The use of weights too early could cause an unnecessary set back.

OP
OP
A

Arizona2003

Country
Thanks Jockette. I thought that might be the answer. How about bike riding? I am doing the stationary everyday but only for 15 minutes at low intensity. How much walking per day?

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Walk the amount that you feel comfortable with. 6 weeks is still early days, so you don’t want to overdo, and yet you do want good movement.

If you are handling 15 minutes on the bike, that’s a good accomplishment. It might be too much for someone else. This is why we tell members not to compare recoveries.

sistersinhim

Country
I am doing the stationary everyday but only for 15 minutes at low intensity.
I think you'd be better off riding the bike with no intensity. You knee is still too young to do that. It's great that you're able to ride for 15 minutes, but adding to the intensity is like adding weights. Be sure and listen to your knee. When it gets tight, meaning swelling, or hurts afterwards, back off your exercises a bit.

OP
OP
A

Arizona2003

Country
Good advice as always. I don't feel that I am over exercising as they is no pain or discomfort while exercising and my doctor? PT guy would say I am not doing enough. My knee doesn't swell up or hurt a lot, but it is aggravating at night affecting my sleep. Thank God for my ice machine. It is not easy limiting my walks etc, at the same time I am cooped up at home. Just whining as I know we are all in the same boat and hope we all stay healthy.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My doc recommends strength training basically consisting of extending the leg with ankle weights and going for longer hold times.
Whatever for? You are not in training. You are recovering from a major injury. Sorry - but your doctor needs to update their approach. Strength training will only set you back every time.

sistersinhim

Country
My knee doesn't swell up or hurt a lot, but it is aggravating at night affecting my sleep.
Nighttime pain is usually a sign that you are doing too much during the day.
I agree about the ice machine. I was addicted to ice! It's amazing how much it really does cut down the pain and swelling.

OP
OP
A

Arizona2003

Country
I have been cold most of the time since TKR. This may not be totally due to the surgery, but I am now running a low body temperature. My average temperature is 96.4. That is measured at home and upon going into the doctors office. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a cause for concern?

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
I always felt the cold, and often at night while icing I would have my knee on a pillow and the rest of my body on a electric blanket to keep warm, regarding your body temperature I will ask one of my senior advisors for you as I have never taken my temperature. Stay Safe x

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
96.4 is a bit low, but it's nothing to worry about.
From https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001982.htm:
Normal body temperature varies by person, age, activity, and time of day. The average normal body temperature is generally accepted as 98.6°F (37°C). Some studies have shown that the "normal" body temperature can have a wide range, from 97°F (36.1°C) to 99°F (37.2°C).

It's not unusual to feel cold, as Sara61 says. Lots of people feel cold post-op.
Some people use an electric blanket, especially when they are icing their knee. Wrap up warm, use a hot bottle of a warm wheat bag to help you feel warmer.

As your recovery progresses, this cold feeling should go away.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
isybrink
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom