Guest viewing is limited

Are you having TKR for mobility issues rather than pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you SassyGirl. The thing is I am going to have to have the second one done at some point in the near future as well.

Doc said. "You don't want to have them both done at once."

Why that was - I don't know.

The way he said it left no doubt that he did not want to do it that way.

If I had it to do over, I would have done both at the same time. Probably a bit tougher, but less than two separate operations. IMO.
 
Hi Jmdearras - I see you are having them less than a year apart. Probably what is going to happen to me. I going to ask why at the hospital's education class on Thursday.
 
I had planned (ha) to wait a couple of years, as my right knee was not bone-to-bone, yet. But a couple of weeks ago it decided differently, the cartilage apparently tore (no CT scan) with great pain (7-8) and the OS said it was time. It would have been this week, but I have a scheduled vacation in the outer banks, and so he gave me a steroid shot, which fixed the pain and delayed surgery 2 months. But it worked so my vacation looks OK.
 
Welcome, @aconcepts. I'm in Sacramento and am just starting the process. I looked up Dr. Howell, and he seems to have an impressive resume. I'll have to look up "kinematic alignment method." Anyone else heard of it? I have an appointment with Dr. Guilfoy this week.
 
I don't want to wait between surgeries I'd have it done the next month if they'd let me. But three months it is.
 
I had all the cartilage removed from both my knees when I was in high school. They said they didn't think it was needed that much! I am 60 now so I felt that I waited as long as I could. I want to be able to walk normally. I haven't had a fully straight leg in decades. I did have swelling and some pain but I felt the quality of my life will be so much better. The doctors around here won't do two at once because of the potential for blood clots and infection. I'll probably have my left one done in couple of years. I can't be off work that long to have them any closer together. I still have a ways to go (about 4 months post-op) so I'm not dancing yet. I do plan on walking on a glacier in Alaska in late August though. It is a long process but I am still positive that it will all be worthwhile.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom