Are We Nervous Yet August Hot Shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. There are days that I don't have a lot of pain and then I question...but then it takes me down and I realize this must be done.
 
Unfortunately the surgeon I'm going with (he was my 5th) kind of threw a monkey wrench into the mix by suggesting I wait at long as possible. I think he advised me to wait because I have Avascular necrosis (no OA, in fact my cartilage is "beautiful). I've been reading that the failure rate is higher and the THR doesn't last as long when AVN is the underlying cause. He suggested I go ahead and make the appointment and see how I'm doing after I return from vacation (August 13th) and make my decision then. It's not a good place to be in. :-(
 
@Cynthia777 you asked how us post op hippies coped with the stress. My method was to read as much as I could. Unfortunately I didn't find Bone Smart until quite close to my op. But I read loads of websites, I even started to watch a you tube video, (not to be recommended) I didn't get far through the video when I realised I didn't need that much info.
I also made lace like a manic person, you have to concentrate hard on making lace, so it took my mind off other things.
The day of the op I talked, far too much. I think the nurses knew my life history in a few minutes. I just couldn't stop.
 
@Liznwiz
Oh how I relate to you my friend! I know when I was scheduled for surgery in May, I feverishly began shopping and building my post-op nest with every comfort known to THR patients! I also researched, researched and then researched some more! Because I kept myself so busy, I didn't really have time to worry or feel anxious. This time around is different for me because of the teeter-tottering that's going on in my mind regarding proceeding with the surgery and because my $100,000 (jk) little nest is already to go!
 
@Cynthia777...haven't been on BS lately, but did want to respond to your earlier post and your previous one. Sounds like you and I started having pain in the groin at the same time. Mine started in December, as well. And I thought I just pulled a groin muscle. And I too have days when the pain is not bad and think to myself...do I really need the surgery. But then, the pain and lack of mobility rears its ugly head again and that's when I am sure I need the surgery sooner, rather than later. Just finished all my pre-op blood work and X-rays and am good to go. Meet with my OS on the 21st. Best of luck to you!:curtsey:
 
@Nana757
You hit it on the head Nana! Our stories are much the same, both physically and mentally. I am scheduled to begin my pre-op testing on August the 18th. I decided to schedule my surgery at the end of August because of an annual vacation I've taken with my family for the past 51 years. I still teeter back and forth, but intellectually my mind says go for it because this really is no way to live a full life. I hope you will be posting your recovery, as I will be on the lookout for it. God bless!
 
@Cynthia777: just got the last piece of my "puzzle parts"....a bed rail. Put it together last night and can already tell it's going to help a lot, getting in and out of bed. Getting anxious now! Thinking about going to a workshop for THR patients, but not sure I need to, since I found this sight. Any thoughts?
 
Gee, that's a hard one to answer @Nana757! Most members have said the class was a waste, but others have said they were really happy they went. I suppose it depends on what they cover in the class is and if you're a person who likes being informed. I know HOAG Orthopedic Institue (where I will have surgery) insists on the pre-op class about a month prior to surgery. Therefore, I have a feeling they must go over some pretty important info. If anyone would like to skip class it would be me, as it's a four hour drive there and back!
Anxiety is the word for the day!!! Lol!
 
Hello all for August ops!!:scare:cynthia777 you spoke of fear... its massive for me, so here I am again visiting Bonesmart for that reassurance from all around the globe...a Godsend for me!!..Thank you again Bonesmart!!
I have just over 3 weeks left and getting things together to help after the op, but have really struggled this week emotionally, just wanted to cry when friends and family spoke about the op to me...it seems the only conversation I have these days...with friends enquiring...gets overwhelming at times, whilst I appreciate their interest its hard at times to handle it, don't know if anyone else has felt this way?
My head says 'why me'????? do I have to this op and then a cold sweat, anyway having said all that there is only one way out and that is to go through with it as I don't want pain for the rest of my life as this has been coming on for 10 yrs ...what is your date for your op cythia777?
 
I get a little weepy too, @lexi-mai. But then I realize the surgery will make my quality of life sooooooo much better. I am having mine done on the 30th and honestly, cannot wait. So tired of not being able to do the things I love and even the things I don't love....like housework and laundry. Sounds sad, right? Never thought I'd ever say....let me get to that dusting and laundry! Lol
@Cynthia777...the work shop isn't required, but I was thinking my husband might benefit from it...just so he's fully aware of what to expect. He's wonderful but sometimes a bit too caring...is that possible?
 
@lexi-mai
Oh yes, the anxiety we go through pre-op is almost paralyzingly! Fortunately for me, I'm able to somewhat control my mind and have a keen ability to block things out. Having lived my life as a person who lives in the future and always worrying about the what ifs, I've had to learn this block out technique or I would have gone batty long ago.
My current dilemma has been whether my hip is bad enough to move forward with surgery or not (my last and final surgeon suggests I wait until I can't take the pain any longer). I really have minimal pain, but I have an awful limp and cannot do many of the every day normal activities one takes for granted. So, with that being said, I'm about 90% positive I will move forward with my August 31st surgery date.
I will be having the direct anterior approach and am praying for an easy recovery. I will also need the other hip replaced, should it become symptomatic (funny thing is, the painless hip is worse than the painful hip).
If you look at the bottom of each person's posts, you will see their surgery date and in some cases which hip etc. you can add your info by clicking on your name and posting where it says "signature".
Good luck and God bless...I will keep you in my prayers!
 
@Nana757
You always make me smile! I know you are going to do well because of the fact that you are so upbeat and positive...this will serve you well!
As far as classes and hubby...men seem to be just a tad clueless when it comes to taking care of others. Most have not had this type of experience, so the more informed they are, the better slaves they will become! :heehee:
 
@Cynthia777
Yes..my dear husband actually watched the entire surgical procedure on Utube...all 1 1/2 hours of it. But I haven't been able to get him to watch the films on care and restrictions. Go figure! BTW..I remember seeing a comment you made about no weight bearing on the bad hip due to AVN... My OS didn't say anything about that. Like I said earlier..I've even managed to bowl a couple of times and get out for a round of golf. Maybe I shouldn't have...oh well...too late now...tehehe.
And, thanks for the confidence boost...it means a lot to me.
 
I'm lucky in some ways in that I can carry on working and loose myself as much as possible in solving problems. However, some days that isn't enough, so outside of chocolate and fairy pills I resort to three things to attempt to route out the stress

- A heavy punchbag in the back garden, you can all guess the pain levels that brings on but I find the release of aggression rather cathartic, albeit I pay for it afterwards when the endorphin wears off
- Meditation, only for the mild days but helps me calm down. Plus the techniques from the pain management course I did many years ago seem to help & stop me wanting to curl up in a corner as much
- Crafting, not really a true stress relief but if i can loose myself in a crafting session I loose focus on the outside world and concentrating on creating something and that helps me through.

So days, as we all know, nothing works and I just have to let it all out, then pick up and as stated above, I try to focus on the future and what I will be able to do when I work my way out the other side.
 
@AndyH99
Yes, I guess the important thing is to keep occupied and think good thoughts. Of course that works well until the severe pain kicks into high gear after you've done some stress relieving activities. At least, that's what happens to me. So I pay the price and take the next few days recovering from what my hubby calls my wonder women antics!:rotfl:
 
@Nana757
Take that pain and turn it into a positive! I sometimes I wish I had that pain because I would most definitely not vacillate back and forth on surgery. Should I, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I, is the order of the day for me! Awful! When I was experiencing the bad pain a few months ago, I was so excited about getting the hip done and moving forward. Now it is a different story. Ahhh life, ain't it grand! :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom