BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] April surgery August results<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mudhen, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

United States United States
    We have had most of this week below freezing ,this mid fall..so says weatherman a mild winter.....
    I still have only wood heat, which means bringing in wood. I am trying to get propane set up.....
    My hip stiffens with walking or work. But later it loosens...

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Love to smell the wood burn.
    You sound like a tough bird, Mudhen.
    I saw improvement up to a year and even now.
    Hope your evening is Warm and Relaxing

3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Nothing like wood heat! Last year I knew I was going to have my THR so I really layed in the wood. I have a couple of years worth cut split and stacked and probably 2 more years worth cut that I need to work up. I wasn't sure how long it would be before I could cut and split so I wanted to get ahead of it. My surgery was in Feb and I was feeding the fire after the first week. My hip stiffens and loosens up with stretches,walking and work. It's still got a mind of it's own and I felt an odd feeling in it yesterday while playing with the dog, this morning it hurt pretty good when I got up today.

4. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

I cut my own wood for almost 40 years. Now i depend on others to bring it to me. There is no better heat than wood. But it is totally exhausting this year. I am doing better now but it was rather frightening the first fire I had to build.
    Mojo tough bird is probably right at this rate I will die with my boots on!

5. Mojo333

I do hope you have a good weekend. Keeping up with the wood heat I'm sure it's a chore.
    I'm ready for spring and we haven't even gotten very cold down south yet.
    I'm freezing at 60 degrees FAHRENHEIT!
    Come on spring

6. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

I guess you are saying 60 outside? It was 62 in the house this morning because I did not build a fire yesterday. It got up to 59 yesterday the warmest we have had in a week I think. So I worked outside, picking up locust pods, never been so many since I moved here 7 years ago. Then I raked leaves, also an extra layer of them from the neighbors trees. I went to sleep in my chair!
    Stiff this morning and only now beginning to loosen , I will take the pup for a walk. I might even be kind to myself and not move the wood pile.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

Do have an enjoyable weekend Mojo. And yes the south can be cold at 60!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mojo333

You too my fine feathered friend:chuckmarch:

9. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

You are too sweet Mojo! LOL

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mojo333

Sorry to hear that you are on the wait for propane and are a member of the ODIC?
    Have you had lots of cold weather...snow?
    Shivering and cold weather tend to make me ache but we already established I'm a cold weather wimp!
    Is the wood for fire wearing you out?
    Please do try to take it easy this Sunday.
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!:reindeerlights:

11. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

Sorry about my wailing yesterday! It was a bad day and usually I won't say anything about it.
    November was the coldest on record for here. Lots of bitter cold and the wood stove kept the house toasty. But required frequent filling. I ran out of wood and went for wood from the mill. Only filled my Jeep but loading and unloading was the straw that broke the camel's back.
    If I would have iced everytime I sat down it would not have caused the problem it did. But ice when it is in the teens outside? Yesterday evening I did ice for about 4 hours. I still have to be very careful about putting weight on my leg...it will give and hurt just as it did at the beginning.
    Climbed stairs for the first time since I fell and broke my hip. Going up was ok going down wasn't. Only by holding the rail on the left could I support myself.

Do have a wonderful time with your family! I am going to be alright. The weather is warmer and the propane heater requires no labor!

12. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    8 months out for you and I would definitely be questioning the weight bearing issue. Is it worth getting a second opinion?

I had the posterior method and definitely don’t like the cold. I think it is the muscles moaning rather than any stem issues. Have quite a lot of muscle issues and repair taking its time but fully weight bearing.

I hope things improve for you soon!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

SurreyGirl, I still think I cracked or broke my leg below the hip above the knee. Here they do not put casts on breaks. So I guess they presumed that if it was broken it would heal. But neither did they xray anywhere but my hip.

There is no care team that I know of here. And it is either you do well or don't.
    For me it is a learning experience on what I can and can't do. If it hurts I should not continue. But living alone.....
    Thank you for your concern and may you have complete healing with no more problems.

14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Mudhen,
    I'd advise you call the office of your OS if you're still struggling with weight bearing and in limbo over whether you have a fracture. If you don't get any satisfaction through speaking with your surgeons PA, or a nurse on his care team, schedule an appointment to go over it all in the office. It's not a matter of "you do well, or you don't". It's a matter of finding someone to listen to your concerns and determine what's holding you back. Please begin with phoning the office of your Orthopedic surgeon. Let us know how it goes.
    Wishing you comfort, answers and resolution.
    @Mudhen

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Mudhen,
    Suggest you go to an urgent care, call and be sure they have an x-ray machine, or go to an ER to have your leg x-rayed.
    A complete fracture of the femur needs to be stabilized, allowing it to heal is not good enough.

Why do you think you cracked or fractured your femur?

16. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

There was more pain in that area ever than in my hip. I did not just fall over, I sailed through the air, body turning to land on my side on concrete. I had a huge hematoma on my elbow and the nurses were dismayed. One even took a picture of it with her phone.

But I am serious about them not treating even compound fractures. Here they do not put a cast on. I know three people, one with lower leg badly fractured bones sticking out and the doctors did not cast it. A friend with badly broken foot, no casts, and another who by choice did not go to the doctor because you can not ride a horse with a cast and that was his living.

Maybe things are done differently here.

If I rest and ice the pain goes away. As has been said we all heal at a different pace.

I am sure I have done far more than I should have. But I live alone and not in an area where people help each other. So other than hire my lawn mowed I have done what had to be done. I started shortly after the break trying to get my furnace replaced. I resorted to wood heat and back to asking for propane. This is as doless a place I have ever lived in.

I do thank you for your concern and I should never have brought it up I guess. Because I can not get anything done here as far as after care is concerned.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  17. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Mudhen
    May I suggest you travel to the nearest large city where they're more progressive and get the advice and help you need to move forward. Why suffer, if there are other options to get you on the road to recovery sooner?
    If you care to share the nearest large town / city, possibly we could help you find another Orthopedic surgeon.

18. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    On the contrary, you SHOULD bring it up here. We can give you advice and put you on the right path.
    This leads me to suppose that you don't have a serious injury because in a broken bone, specially a thigh bone, the pain would not abate with just ice and rest.

19. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@Mudhen, if you are truly concerned about possibly having a bone fracture or break and you believe you won't get adequate treatment in your small community, why not drive the approximately 50 miles to see someone in Springfield? It would take less than an hour and you could either call an orthopedic office there or go to one of the two major hospital emergency rooms for an xray and check up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mojo333

:santawave: Hope this finds you warm and well!
    You've had a long year of recovery since the accident.

I do hope your Christmas is full of comfort and joy! Big Hugs!
    :box: