April Rainbows 2012 - Are You Have Knee Surgery in April?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome xamojjomax and onloanfromgodiam! Congratulations on your surgery dates and you'll both soon be in recovery.

Why don't you guys start threads of your own so we can learn a bit more about you. You're part of our BoneSmart family now and we have a whole group of "cuzzins" here who are ready to support you in whatever way you need.
 
Scheduled for TRKR on April 10th. I went to the class yesterday and felt much less frantic about the procedure. The last time I was in the hospital was 1974! LOTS of changes. The nurse instructor suggested a rocking chair for part of post op recovery. Very gently at first and building up to "really" rocking. Has anyone used this? I will have GA and a femoral block. Will go home within 3-4 days. PT will come to me 3 times a week for two weeks. Then I go to them. Also, something I didn't quite get...recycling blood loss during surgery to use in case a transfusion is needed...God forbid and not common. Any thoughts?
 
Scheduled for TRKR on April 10th. I went to the class yesterday and felt much less frantic about the procedure. The last time I was in the hospital was 1974! LOTS of changes. The nurse instructor suggested a rocking chair for part of post op recovery. Very gently at first and building up to "really" rocking. Has anyone used this? I will have GA and a femoral block. Will go home within 3-4 days. PT will come to me 3 times a week for two weeks. Then I go to them. Also, something I didn't quite get...recycling blood loss during surgery to use in case a transfusion is needed...God forbid and not common. Any thoughts?

pclane,
I had my class on Tuesday. it was a very good class. She suggested exercises for strengthening the arms. I've been doing some of those already, but added the one she suggested -- sitting in a chair and using your arms to lift your body (doing it 5-10 times 2 or 3 times a day.

The rocking chair sounds like a good one too. I'll be having GA and a femoral block too - same with the 3-4 days. The nurse didn't mention recycling blood in case a transfusion is needed. The doctor said that's not common, but that regulations for donated blood are good -- just in case.

We're almost there -- a little more than 3 days. :friends: :yes 4:

Hope that you all have a good weekend.
 
Yes, Organist our time is quickly approaching. This pain is really wearing me down. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. This means I have to leave home at 4:30. I live on a small island off the coast of Savannah and the hospital is on the other end of Savannah. At this point I do not care! I will gladly sleep in the parking lot!!!! God's blessings on you and may he guide our surgeon's every step of the way!! :biggrin:
 
Had my right knee replaced on April 2nd. I am home recovering now:yahoo:
When they say "take it slow"........take it slow!!!. I was feeling pretty good yesterday and did too much. Paid for it through the night, and spent the day in bed today.:cry:
 
Coll, congratulations on your surgery. Why don't you start a thread of your own in the recovery forum and we can better follow your progress.
 
Yes, Organist our time is quickly approaching. This pain is really wearing me down. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. This means I have to leave home at 4:30. I live on a small island off the coast of Savannah and the hospital is on the other end of Savannah. At this point I do not care! I will gladly sleep in the parking lot!!!! God's blessings on you and may he guide our surgeon's every step of the way!! :biggrin:

pclane, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers too. Since we live IN Asheville and we don't have to be there until 8:15 am (for surgery at 11:15), it will be a quicker and later trip than yours - just rush hour. So we'll probably take the back roads. I'd be glad to have it earlier and sleep in the waiting room myself. As you said, the pain is definitely getting worse and wearing me down too. When we both get home after surgery, we can at least enjoy the scenery around our homes -- the mountains for me and the beach and ocean for you. Of course, we'll both probably be too "out of it" to notice for awhile. If Liam and I visit Savannah one of these days (after we both recover), maybe we can get together for lunch.

Meanwhile -- one step at a time. Two more days to wait -- hopefully with time to relax and enjoy family and/or friends -- while they fix the meals, etc. :th_heehee:
 
Had my right knee replaced on April 2nd. I am home recovering now:yahoo:
When they say "take it slow"........take it slow!!!. I was feeling pretty good yesterday and did too much. Paid for it through the night, and spent the day in bed today.:cry:

Coll, thanks for the advice for post-surgery. Hope that tomorrow is MUCH better for you. I'l try to remind myself to "take it slow" -- even if I'm feeling like "doing more".
 
My total knee replacement surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, April 18. I had my first surgery in January of 2008 on the other knee.
 
Hello Everyone!

I will be moving out of the April category and into the May category for my revision, but I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers and keep track of your progress!:biggrin:
 
To all the April babies;
(new Life-new knee)Those who had the surgery I hope all went well and you on on your way to a speedy recoverery. Hope you had some good support & care at home with loving family and friends to help. My surgery is tomorrow keep me in your throughts.
 
blujay2 -- Hope that you are resting well after your surgery today.

BJ Mac -- I think all of us have experienced the "excited and scared" feelings before going to the other side of our surgeries.

Positive thoughts and prayers continuing for both of you. :friends:
 
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! This time tomorrow I should be in my room beginning the recovery phase. :yay::prayer1:
 
J4g000, welcome to the forum. We're happy to have you here. You will find all kinds of info in the library, answers to any questions you need or want to pose, and lots of encouragement and understanding from your fellow BoneSmarties.

Please start a thread of your own, in the Post-op recovery section and tell us about yourself---when you can find a little energy. We understand about the "sooo tired' , and you will too if you do your reading.

Again, welcome----and remember the BoneSmart mantra----take your pain meds on a schedule, rest, elevate your TKR leg (toes above nose) and ice, ice, ice that knee. Also be sure to take necessary precautions against constipation which results from taking the pain meds.

Keep us posted on your recovery. Be good to your knee and it will be kind to you. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom