April Rainbows 2012 - Are You Have Knee Surgery in April?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] April Rainbows 2012 - Are You Have Knee Surgery in April?


Is April the month you plan to find the pot of gold at the end of your rainbow? Congratulations!!! And we invite you to join the BoneSmart group, April Rainbows. As a team, you will have people like yourself going through surgery at the same time to talk with. We find this works really well to deal with concerns and provide support to each other.

Let us know your surgery date and join the group!

I am booked for Right Knee replacement on April 2nd.Looking forward to receiving a new knee. Have had problems since I was 15 years old, and 10 surgeries. This should be the final fix. Still have the left one to go, but will see how the 1st one goes.
 
Coll, Im having my Right knee replacement on the 2nd as well (just one more week). So far Im not nervous or anxious about it at all, and cant wait for the day to arrive. Last week I went to the hospital for Pre Op clinic and found that to be very reasurring, I know what is ahead and Im ready to face it and get myself eventually pain free from this knee. I also have had problems since about the age of 15 after injuring my knee and was told then that I would develop arthritis in it early, have been able to cope with it for a long time but since around Christmas time it has deteriated so much that its now affecting my lifestyle and really limiting what I do. This morning I woke up with a cold, so Im trying everything I know to clear it up, last thing I need this week.
Will be reading these forums and keeping up with all having surgery in April, as well as those that have already been through it.
I have found this site to be really helpful and reasuring with the advice from those that have already been there. Good luck.
 
As far as pain meds go I take Tridural and find that it helps with keeping the pain at bay. If I find I'm uncomfortable in the evening I take an oxycodone.
At one time my pain was being so well managed that I thought I was all better so skipped a day of Tridural. :DOH:Big mistake..I paid for it dearly and learned a good lesson. I now make sure to stick with my regime......cause it works. :yes 4:
 
Sounds wonderful!! I'm taking my new Tablet to the hospital with me to keep in touch with everyone :)

Great, I will have my laptop, and ipad there also, so I will be posting also!:biggrin:
 
I have the date of April the19th. My class is next week so I hope some of my questions and concerns are answered.
 
Welcome to new members Dianna and Coll. And congratulations on your surgery dates. Why don't you each start a thread of your own and tell us more about yourselves. We love getting to know our members!
 
Dianna and Coll,

Welcome to the group. My RTKR is set for the 10th of April. My class is next week too, Dianna. We're on our way to much better health.
Becky
 
Am scheduled for left TKR on 4/16/2012. Trying to get everything in place necessary to make recovery as comfortable and stress-free as possible!
Any suggestions?
 
Hey, Gardeninggal...welcome! So glad you joined us here on BoneSmart.

How about starting a thread of your own to tell us a bit more about yourself? We love getting to know our members.

As for the tips, you'll find a couple of good threads in our BoneSmart Library (tab at the top of the page)
 
Gardeningal2003,
Welcome to the group. There's quite a few of us having surgery in April. Mine is on the 10th. You'll do fine - particularly with our group of supporters here -- those already in better health and those of us who are still waiting. As Jamie said, there are plenty of great tips and suggestions in some of the threads. The pre-op section has wonderful threads to read.

Becky

Am scheduled for left TKR on 4/16/2012. Trying to get everything in place necessary to make recovery as comfortable and stress-free as possible!
Any suggestions?
 
I am a 58 year old paralegal/law office practice manager (so I sit most of the day, thank goodness!) living at home with my husband and two of my children. So, I have lots of great support through this, thank goodness! I am also "one of those" who likes to do everything herself! A control freak? Well.....maybe!

Two weeks from today is my LTKR, and have to say I am becoming anxious about it. Excited, but anxious! I've been busy trying to put everything in place and am maybe stressing too much. But everything I've heard says to be prepared BEFORE you go for your operation. I have everything to wrap up at work, I know that you-can-only-do-what-one-person-can-do! has got to be my mantra there.

The nurse at the mandatory class (who was great) said three things are very important for healing - that you eat lots of iron-rich foods, stay well-hydrated and try to reduce stress in your life! So, reducing STRESS is my most important job right now.

I am going for pre-op testing today, and wonder whether I'll speak to an anesthesiologist. Can't decide whether I want general or and epidural, so am interested in hearing more about each option. Am leaning towards the epidural I think...

My best friend is having both knees replaced the week after me, so it's been great for us to have each other for moral support and information. And I know I'll love to hear how everyone here does with the surgery and recovery too. It's like pumping each other up before the big game, right??? WE CAN DO IT!
 
Gardeningal2003,

We're definitely "getting ready for the big game". My surgery is a week from tomorrow. Thanks for the list of 3 things important for healing -- lots of iron-rich foods, well-hydrated, and reduce stress. That's good to know. My hubby and I have been drinking more water every day. I'll check out the list of iron-rich foods. Things will be much less hectic for us once Holy Week and Easter Sunday is finished. It's a very good week, but very busy. I have my pre-op class tomorrow. So I'll see what they say too.

Glad that you have a very supportive family during all of this. Mine is too. We're on the way. :thumb:
 
Hi! I'm set for April 4th, so will start posting as soon as I am comfortably home. I optimistically think that will be shortly after. Talk to you then.


Linda :thumb:
 
Yes sports fans I'm back. Some may remember my saga with bilateral THRs a couple years ago (with complications)...since then I've probably skied 80 days with the new hips. But now the old left knee--that I was once told was going to be due well prior to the hips--has once again grounded me. So up a notch I go in bionics - two hips and on April 19th one knee. And thats really quite about enough thank you...but stay tuned.

I did see a thread here somewhere re anxiety, and I hope to drop in there as for some reason with eight hip and knee surgerys and several other procedures elsewhere in the books--I'm going all batty for this one. I should be the dude going "hey don't worry you'll get through this," and it is actually downright embarrassing that I'm going chicken. Tell me it's just a phase Jo--or wunna you resident shrinks...OK sorry I'll find the anxiety pages.

Glad to be back...sort of, but truly I'll really need your support once again. :thumb:
 
Tommy,

Welcome "back" to the group. I'm a newbie having RTKR April 10th -- in a week. I've visited the anxiety pages too -- among many others. We have a good April group, and will do fine -- with the help and support of everybody here and our family/friends. We'll be doing better by summertime. :yes 4:
 
Hello all of you April kneesies!:biggrin:

My name is Sonja, and I will have my revision done on my right knee April 13th! I am so excited!:yahoo: This will be the 3rd surgery on this knee, and the 3rd time is going to be the best! I will be watching for each of you and praying that everything goes smoothly.
 
Thanks, Sonja. You and the others will be in my thoughts and prayers too -- except for the time after surgery when I'm in "la-la land" when I probably won't remember anything.

My pre-op class is today at noon. Positive thoughts and prayers for all having their surgery today.
 
Hi Everybody - I just found you all tonight. I have been scheduled for a TKR (ooooohhh, new lingo!) next Weds 4/11. I am nervous, mostly about post-op pain, but am looking forward to constructive pain, pain with a positive purpose v. the degenerative, disabling pain I've been living with. I'm a young 58 and can't wait to be able to golf and do yoga again! I'm looking forward to delving into all the forum posts. Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom