Guest viewing is limited

Apprehensive

I too am scheduled for surgery on February 26th though my doctor has not officially cleared me yet. I have to call her on Monday and if no sniffles or sore throat etc, I am good to go. She always waits util the last minute.

That being said, I haven't signed the consent form yet. In the USA it isn't enough to sign a consent form, it has to be an "informed consent", which means the patient needs to be informed of all possible risks before consenting. Judging from Denn's post, it's a pretty scary document.

I am not having general anesthesia either. We are given a choice. A friend of mine had the surgery a couple of weeks ago. She was out before they stuck the epidural in her back and knew nothing until it was over.

So it's countdown week. Today I am going to buy some sweatpants and comfy clothes. Every time I think of this I have to remind myself to breathe. Can we fast forward to June?

Nice to meet you all.

Michelle
 
they wont be using a general anesthetic but the injectiuon into the spine which will numb me from belly button down. I told him I didn't really want to know what was happening but he then said, they give me something to sedate me but not sll patients fall asleep and cannot guarantee that I would
Exactly the same for me; spinal is much better than GA post-op because its pain relief means only very light sedation is needed, from which recovery is much easier than from GA.

I was OH YOU TEE in about 0.000001 sec after it went in, and then was instantaneously in the recovery room. Pure magic!
 
The spinal is wonderful. They had me sit on side of operating table, and then put a numbing agent on my back. I remember them telling me there would be one more stick as they didn’t get the exact spot they wanted. I couldn’t feel a thing and that’s the last thing I remember until recovery room. No fuzzy head or nausea like when I’d had GA in previous procedure. I was suddenly very much awake and no pain. I had to ask to verify that they had been able to do both knees.

Within a few minutes I was able to tell that my quads were firing at least some as I was able to raise my legs up off of bed

You are going to do wonderful and you’ll soon be wondering why you were worried about it in the first place.

I’m a little over 2 weeks post op and am already better off than before surgery. I can walk farther and the pain is getter better every day, rather then before when it was worse every day.
 
I think you will be glad you had the spinal. Like Roy, I was out immediately although I didn't know it. There were some people standing around me and I asked how much longer it would be until I went for surgery. They responded that I was in recovery with a new knee. Kind of nice. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted!
 
I know a lot of people prefer the spinal, but I prefer to be knocked out with no chance of waking and seeing or hearing anything. My husband had to have a cancerous tumor removed from his head; they used the light sleep sedation where he could possibly wake and, naturally, he did. His doctor came out after the surgery and told me he woke and they couldn't get him to shut up, stop asking questions and lie still.....lol.
I have no desire to take any chance of waking even if the immediate recovery is a bit harder. I'm such a wuss that I had them knock me out for my colonoscopy! Unless there's absolutely no chance of waking I won't have the spinal version ever. But everyone's different; some people like to watch, some don't mind hearing drills and saws, while I can't even look at pictures of surgery. All that to say, if you prefer a GA, can't your doctor make sure that's what you have? Or if you prefer a spinal, go for it....people who can handle a spinal are stronger than I.
 
Once again reality reminds me just how bad my knees are. I enjoyed a walk with my wife and little dog this morning. It wasn't very far but it does make you realise how bad my knees really are. If the operation improves my pain by 50% I'd be happy. I just hope everything will be ok without complications.

Dennis.
 
Went to the pre op physio session today where I was shown how to walk on the crutches and to get up and down stairs. I was also shown the knee replacement and was surprised as to how heavy it is. I was also shown the exercises I need to do after the op but was told to do them now so I know what to do.
Overall a very interesting morning which did place my mind further at ease.
Denn
 
My doc let me hold a replacement in my evaluation appointment. I thought it felt heavy too. But you don't feel it once it's in. I don't even think about having "new" parts. :)
 
Up unti my surgery last March I was always a side sleeper, too. I never dreamed I would be able to sleep on my back, but I did and still do. But only if my legs are elevated. I have a great elevating wedge that the hospital sent home with me.

Best wishes on your up coming surgery. We will all be here cheering for you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom