Guest viewing is limited

TKR Anyone use antibiotics for Dental Care?

Tightness/heaviness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
Log leg is caused by muscle inhibition and swelling, when you have surgery or break your leg your body shuts down the signals to your leg. Keep you from getting up and doing more damage.
As you heal you the inhibition decreases and your leg will start to feel normal.

Concentrate on a heel to toe gait it will help facilitate a normal gait and knee extension/flexion.
walking heel toe.jpg
 
Last edited:
Another couple of questions.

My surgery leg heel is very tender. I'm sure this is from doing the heel slide exercises. For the first two weeks, I never wore shoes, since I was only in the house, just socks. Now I am trying to wear tennis shoes about half the time, but my heel is still tender. I am icing it, and this helps some.

Second question is that the area behind my surgery knee is sensitive, and has been since the surgery. I think initially it had to do with the acewrap and the straps from the continuous ice machine that irritated the skin. Now I'm not sure what it is, might still be residual irritation.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
 
Now I'm not sure what it is, might still be residual irritation.
Probably residual irritation, should clear up with time.
Now I am trying to wear tennis shoes about half the time, but my heel is still tender
Wear tennis shoes for a short period of time, increasing as your heel adjusts to being in shoes.
 
My surgery leg heel is very tender. I'm sure this is from doing the heel slide exercises.
Doing heel slides shouldn't actually hurt your heel. Have you tried putting something beneath your foot, so that it slides more easily? A plastic bag or even a piece of paper could help.
Check what your doing with this article:
Heel slides and how to do them properly
 
There is still lots of swelling going on internally which likely results in the heavy leg feeling. It will eventually resolve. My right leg (1/25) is now much lighter than my left (3/31).
 
I had my surgery on 4/26. When I went to PT yesterday I told her I was having pain behind my knee. She said this is normal. She said it is due to swelling inside the knee and will go away with time. She told me to keep icing and elevating
 
Both my heels have been sore soon after surgery and I actually think it’s from sleeping on my back, I’m usually a side sleeper. There is a lot more pressure that my heels aren’t use to. I can bend my other leg to relieve the pressure on it, but my operated leg always has an ice pack on it. I have been using a small egg crate foam under my heels and that has helped a whole bunch.
 
When elevating you can have your feet just off the edge of the wedge, or whatever you are using, which frees up the pressure on your heels.
 
Thanky you Jockette, Pumpkln, Celle, Sisterpat, Flowerqueen and Mar for all the great ideas to relieve heel pain. I will be trying them!

I had a good PT appointment yesterday and the therapist also suggested some self massage on the heel, so I will be trying that too.

I also wanted to thank whoever had noted that they took Tylenol PM at bedtime. After reading that I started taking it plus Melatonin, and I have been sleeping much better. This switch also got me to stop taking the 1/2 oxy at bedtime.

This forum is great and I am so thankful that I found it! I had no idea there was anything like the post op blues, and I have been experiencing that. There are wonderful suggestions here on how to help with that. Today I was able to have my hair colored and cut and that helped lift my mood tremendously. This was also my first outing by myself (husband drove me), and it was nice to do something normal. My leg was tired when I got home, so I immediately iced and elevated. :ice:
 
That's wonderful you had a good p.t. session today. Regarding massaging your heel, do you find it difficult to reach the bottom of your foot? That's where I'm having trouble, as I would like to moisturize the bottom. It's getting a bit better since improved flexion.

Great that you are sleeping better with the help of Tylenol PM and Melatonin. I bet it felt great to get out to the salon today.:SUNsmile:
 
Regarding massaging your heel, do you find it difficult to reach the bottom of your foot?
I was wondering about that, too! There’s no way I could reach my foot at that stage. In fact, I still can’t do it well, and I’m trying not to think about the reason! :bolt:
 
If I’m seated with leg slightly bent and lean wasaay over towards my toes I can get to my heel. Not comfy, but can get there! @liam2015
 
I cant wait to be able to use a cane. I feel like everyone is always tripping over my walker. That is my problem.....my mind has so much it wants to do but my knee has a different agenda. I wish you a safe and speedy recovery!! :)

@Flowerqueen I am happy using my cane. I feel like it puts a caution flag around me, so I'm hoping when I am out and about folks will be careful around me. I wish you a safe and speedy recovery too!
 
Today for the first time I have done several things, including a small multiple stop outing on my own. First stop the Dollar Store for greeting cards. I was able to park close and getting through the store was fine and short. Standing in line for 5 minutes was tiring. After that I drove on the freeway alone for the first time to a drive through Covid test so I can return to work next week. Then on to pick up some take out for lunch. Another short wait in line, also a bit tiring. I was able to easily go up a few stairs to exit the restaurant. Then one last stop to pick up some fancy juices at a specialty shop for the weekend. Once home, I ate my take out and then enjoyed elevating and icing (and watching tv)! All in all it felt great to be out and about. I felt like I moved around fine, (slowly) with my cane. This outing helped me gain confidence about being out in the world, both post surgery and vaccination.

Later this afternoon when it was time for my PT exercises, I went through my routine, but at an easier intensity since I had the big outing earlier in the day.

Last, hubby took me for an outdoor walk, I'm trying to get to the 20 minute walk recommended for 5 weeks. The walk was 16 minutes. I have to remember that the walk home is slower than the walk out, since I am slower and more tired on the trip back. This exercise was confidence boosting too.

The best part about all this is doing more normal things, even slowly with the cane, has helped my mood so much.

Thank you Bonesmart for all the tips, and encouragement!
 
Last edited:
Great that you are feeling positive about things, doxiemom! Every normal thing we can accomplish makes us feel closer to the finish line - even if it’s still months away!
 
Hello everyone.
I will be returning to work tomorrow! Yikes! I am nervous! I will be doing a lot of prep tonight, so all I will need to do in the morning is get myself ready...which is now a longer process, since I will want to do some stretching and a few minutes on my peddler to loosen up my new knee.

I am planning to be in for 6 hours instead of a full day. I am bringing some instant and gel ice packs with me along with a tea towel. I am prepared to leave earlier than planned if it is all too much for me. After reading through posts, I am getting mentally prepared to have just work, rest, and rehab be on my schedule as I make the adjustment back to the office.

I am six weeks post op today. The past couple of days, while in the house only I have been walking unassisted. My heavy "log leg" has felt just a bit lighter the last few days. My turtle on its back feeling when on the floor to do my PT exercises has yielded a more agile getting up off the floor method, also in just the past few days. I am pleased with these small victories.

I am still wishing for more ROM. I am just over 90. I can get my leg flat on the ground, but I am wanting to have more bend.

Yesterday for the first time, I wore demin pants, just for a few hours when we had family over for dinner. Up until now I have been wearing soft yoga pants. Last night the skin of my scar and the back of my knee were very very sensitive. I think from the heavier fabric rubbing. Better this morning.

Any other tips on return to work will be appreciated!

Love this forum and all the advice. Thank you!
 
Good luck to you on your return to work. I have been working an 8 hour day from home after 3 weeks. The 1st week was very tiring. But it all worked out. I dont go back to the doctors until 6/22 and then he said we would discuss going back to the office. Its nice to be able to ice when I need to. Thats a great idea to take ice packs with you. My Knee and lower leg start talking to me when I sit for any extended period of time. Not really hurt but achy. I still havent driven yet. I just stopped the Oxicodone totally on Saturday. I was only taking at night and before PT like the doctor advised. It would be nice if you could put a box of some kind under your desk to rest your leg on if you need it. GOOD LUCK!! let us know how you made out.
 
It would be nice if you could put a box of some kind under your desk to rest your leg on if you need it.
This is an excellent idea, I did this at my home computer desk. Almost any height is better than none.

I thought my surgeon’s office should have had some ottomans in the waiting room, some of those appointments early in recovery were really uncomfortable while waiting to see him, then my leg was upset before he even attempted to measure my ROM.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom