TKR Anyone use antibiotics for Dental Care?

Questions!

How much help would a compression stocking help with swelling vs how uncomfortable they are? Would I wear it all day or part of the day? Would I wear it only on the surgery leg?
If you already have a compression stocking you could try it. My PT recommended something called "tubigrib" that you can get from pharmacies that sell medical supplies. I think there are different compression levels and they just cut a length for you. It's open on both ends and slips on. I found it more comfortable than a TEDs but it gave some compression.
 
Another day at the office in the books! I wore my compression (footless) stocking. Other than
wrestling it on, it felt pretty good. Like a security blanket.

Had a good PT session this afternoon. The therapist gave me a wonderful massage on my calf, which has been achy and bothering me. Felt great and much better. ROM measured at 102 at today’s session, a little less than Monday. I’m not going to be concerned about that small difference.

Most troublesome for me today is the incision feels painful. When bending for the ROM measurement, that was what hurt.

I am looking for recommendations for a soothing lotion or cream for the incision. Not a scar minimizing cream (although that would be a plus). Just looking for something to relieve the pain of it. When trying to bend it, not every time, but sometimes feels like it’s a knife cutting my skin.

Thank you!
 
Today I am 8 weeks post op.

Starting yesterday I am back in the office full time. I will be leaving early two days a week for PT. I also have the option to leave early any days that my knee is crabby. I have a set up under my desk of a couple of boxes and some padding to keep my leg up. I keep a few instant ice packs in my drawer and two gel packs in the department kitchen freezer.

I still have the log leg and heavy footed feeling. Less than before, but still there. I am doing my PT exercises daily until I get a stretch, not forcing anything and no pushing the stretches to pain. I ride my little peddler anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes a couple of times per day. Average step count when I am in the office is about 7,000. I choose to take the 10 stairs in and out of the building. I am still one stepping feet together while using stairs. At home coming in from the backyard there are 3 steps and while going up I am taking them the regular way. The first time I tried last week, my surgery leg was wobbly. I can feel it getting stronger and more stable, but I am still holding on, as the wobbliness isn't completely gone and I don't want a suprise fall.

I am using my cane when walking outside of the house. I am building my confidence, and working on balance, but that log leg feeling causes my leg to fatigue and I don't want to be without the cane support yet.

I am able to sleep 8 hours most nights and 10 hours weekend nights with only one time up in the night for the bathroom a sip of iced tea and back to bed and asleep no problem. I am taking melatonin and 2 Tylenol PMs about 15 minutes before bedtime. Even right after surgery, sleeping has not been an issue for me. I am finding different ways to sleep on my back and both sides with varying degrees of comfort.

I am taking two extra strength Tylenol during the day and when I get home from work I am taking 1/2 tramadol.

My getting off the floor after the heel slides is improving and getting easier. Now I can kneel (not full weight) as part of my getting up before going on my toes to push myself up. I am really pleased with this.

My incision is still very sensitive. I am wearing wide legged pants so that there is no rubbing or tightness against it while at work. When I am at home I am wearing yoga pants. I have tried a toobie and a footless compression stocking to help with some of the swelling. While I like the supportive security blanket feeling of these, I dislike the struggle of getting the compression stocking on and the constant rolling down my leg of the toobie. So I am going to give up on these for this week.

A week ago, the top of the incision on the thigh would sometimes feel so tight and dry, like a knife cutting my skin when I would bend. That feeling is gone this week.

The back of my calf and the IT band are what ache the most right now. At PT today my therapist suggested more massage and trying one of those rolling pin things on the IT band. I will give it a try. He gave my calf and that IT area a great massage today and it helped loosen things up. He also massaged my knee cap a bit and that helped too. When I am bending, the knee cap is where I am feeling the most tightness. Today my ROM measured at 113 and 115. Very excited about that. My leg easily goes completely flat against the exam table. The extension for me has always been flat and not a problem.

I still have the little pocket of swelling below the knee cap on the inside of the leg. The PT didn't seem concerned about it.

I have been experiencing post op blues. Part of it was getting reacclimated to being back at work. I miss my husband and my little dachshund! Pretty much for me right now life is just work and then resting and exercises. I have no desire to do the things that made me happy before surgery. I know that this will pass, but it still bothers me. None of my hobbies are calling me. I hope that this will change soon. I am tired of not feeling myself and joyful. But I realize that my knee was hurting for several years with the arthritis pain and this post surgery achiness and heaviness will pass.

This week I am trying some CBD oil to see if that brings additional relief. I am massaging the incision and around the incision daily. I haven't been using the tens machine as frequently.

I am very thankful for this recovery group. It has been good for me to read different recovery journeys and to know that I am not alone.

Thanky you everyone!
 
You’re two days ahead of me and it sounds like you’re doing great! I also have some ongoing discomfort but know this is to be expected. I’m really impressed that you’re able to get down on the floor and back up again! I live alone and have been afraid to try it. It would be really embarrassing to have to call 911 to help me get up! Keep up the great work!
 
Yesterday was 9 weeks. Here's my recovery update.

I'm back in the office full time. Mostly it's fine. I can rest my leg on a stack of boxes and padding under my desk and ice as needed. Less icing this week. Me and my leg are tired at the end of the day and as the week progresses. My quads on both legs are always very tight. I am pretty much working and resting only. Every day when I get home from work I ice and elevate for half an hour.

I have been struggling with the blues and not feeling inspired to do much. I have been searching for joy. The things that I enjoyed before surgery, baking, cooking, require too much standing...plus my husband has taken over the cooking and doing a great job. I enjoy a calligraphy practice, but it is too uncomfortable to sit at a desk...work takes all my sitting energy. The good news is we had family over for Father's Day and it was my dad's 85th birthday too. My niece had a baby boy 2 weeks ago, so we were able to meet him too. My joy was sparked!

Between Friday until all guests left Sunday night, I exhausted myself. I just did too dang much. Baking, cooking, shopping, setting table, wrapping gifts, etc. I was POOPED OUT! Grocery shopping and a Target run, short shopping trips with my cane and then entertainment prep over three days was too much for me. Sunday night I crashed and didn't even get up to go to the bathroom. But it filled my heart and made me so happy.

On Friday and Saturday I was able to get in a pool for a little bit. Not swimming, but kicking and floating on a swim noodle. The weightless environment felt great. I was able to jump and march in place to do as exercises/PT.

Daily step count is about 7,000.

I still have the log leg feeling. It is improving, but still there. Still have the heavy foot feeling too.

Continuing with the leg slides until gentle stretching, not until pain. I am getting a little further each week. Still using the peddler daily. PT has been going well, the best part is the massaging. Most bothersome is the pain behind my calf, still...IT band/hamstring. My knee is still swollen, and tight feeling when bending. I lotion and massage it several times a day. One time during massage, I accidentally scratched the incision scar, and that hurt!

I tried some CBD drops and cream this week. It's nice, but not sure that it makes a difference.

Weird thing that I noticed. I have had laser hair removal on my legs, so have no hair to shave. The OR prep nurse commented on it when she came to shave my leg before surgery. Weird thing is there is now hair growing on my knee. Not much, but it's there. I shaved it, and the numbness of the knee cap made the process feel very odd.

I am still taking stairs foot together foot together. I try one foot stepping every few days. Still too wobbly.

I use the cane when I am not in the house.

My most exciting progress is that this afternoon I took a walk around the block! First time since about a month before my surgery! I took my cane and used it most of the way. But did walk a bit without it. It was tiring, mostly for my other leg! That was a surprise. My husband and our doxie came too, so that made me happy too, as I miss walking my little dog. Before surgery, I would have to stop every other house to rest my leg and catch my breath. This time, while slow, I didn't have to stop! Now that is something remarkable for me!

I am pleased with my progress. I can feel my knee and leg getting stronger. I am learning to celebrate small victories. Getting in and out of the car is getting easier. My practice of getting up off the floor after the heel slides is getting more fluid and easier, but still not graceful! I still have a long way to go. I am very grateful for this forum, it has taught me so much, most especially that recovery is a year! I had no idea. I am able to learn from everyone's recovery thread. It is so good to know that I am not alone on this journey.

Thank you everyone.
 
Last edited:
Weird thing that I noticed. I have had laser hair removal on my legs, so have no hair to shave. The OR prep nurse commented on it when she came to shave my leg before surgery. Weird thing is there is now hair growing on my knee. Not much, but it's there. I shaved it, and the numbness of the knee cap made the process feel very odd.
Interesting that part of your prep was shaving the area. Mine did not do that, at least not while I was still awake, so I don’t know if they did it after I was asleep.

The numbness/oddness you feel when shaving now could be with you for a while. I am 4+ years post op, and while it’s better, it still feels a bit odd.

And, I’m not sure why you would have some hair begin to grow again.
 
Weird thing that I noticed. I have had laser hair removal on my legs, so have no hair to shave. The OR prep nurse commented on it when she came to shave my leg before surgery. Weird thing is there is now hair growing on my knee. Not much, but it's there. I shaved it, and the numbness of the knee cap made the process feel very odd.
Many people notice increased hair growth on their legs following a knee replacement. The theory is that the increased blood flow to the area as part of your knee's healing process activates hair follicles and they either produce longer, thicker hair or generate hair growth where there was none before. It's possible that this will settle down within the year following your surgery. But, if the new hair growth remains, you may need additional laser treatments to get it taken care of.

Just rejoice that your "new hair" is proof that your body is doing a great job of healing. It's a good sign.
 
You’re two days ahead of me and it sounds like we’re pretty much at a similar stage. You said how tired you were after your joy-filled weekend and I have found that those precious times are totally worth taking a step or two backwards! I live alone so when I have the chance to get out and visit, I get tired physically but mentally energizes me.
 
10+ week update. I was 10 weeks post op on Tuesday, June 28.

Feeling pretty good. Working full time. PT is now once per week. Addressing whatever is bothersome during the week with the therapist.

No longer using the cane. Sometimes I carry it with me, in case I get tired or if the walking surfaces look tricky.

Still doing wall slides daily. I can see how I have progressed and that feels really good.

Sleeping well. Sleeping hasn't been a problem for me. Sometimes my leg is uncomfortable and I have to figure out a new position. I like to sleep on my right side, and that has been the most uncomfortable. I still try it every night, it is getting just a bit better. Slow and steay progress there.

Still have swelling, but I can see the definition of the dome shape of my knee a bit more.

I still have the heavy leg feeling. It is improving, but the tightness and heaviness is still there.

New pain - medial side of knee. Just an aching. The PT has asked me to pay attention to it, see what is triggering it, what helps it.

Continuing pain - outside of knee on the calf. PT thinks it's where the hamstring attaches. Hurts the most when lifting leg as in going up stairs or lifting leg for marching. It gives a popping feeling. PT is having me try massage and use the tens on it.

Post op blues - still having them from time to time. I know they will pass.

I saw my surgeon earlier this week to get a cortisone shot in my other knee. I asked about the behind the knee/calf pain. He felt around and had me bend my leg and such, he thinks it's scar tissue.

Last measure of ROM was 107 on Friday. It was more the week before. I know from Bonesmart not to worry about it! :)

If anyone has ideas on how to help the medial and the back of calf pain I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
 
Hello!
I am so thankful to find this forum. I had a left TKR on April 20, 2021.

At 4+ weeks post op, I am beginning to feel nervous about my scheduled return to work at 6 weeks, only 10 days away. I would appreciate any tips, advice, and insights on how to make my return to work as smooth and easy as possible.

I will be combing through posts for the rest of today!

Thank you!
Hi there
I had my surgery on June 24th and prior to operation my surgeon said I would be at least 4-6 months off work
This seems very soon
Take care
Arran x
 
Hurts the most when lifting leg as in going up stairs or lifting leg for marching. It gives a popping feeling.
All part of this recovery. Stop doing the marching motion, it’s not necessary, especially if it causes pain. Take the stairs one at a time, rather than foot over foot, until you heal more.

We can’t always find a fixable cause for pains that come up in this recovery. The surgery causes a lot of trauma and it can take a very long time for things to really get back to normal.
 
Thank you @Jockette. I’m not doing any marching exercises, just trying to describe when I get those pains. This long recovery is hard, as everyone here keeps reminding me. Even though the doctor told me and the materials I read noted, I had no idea what that really meant. I wish I had found Bonesmart before my surgery, I would have been better prepared! When it’s time for my other knee, I will know what’s in store for me!

This experience is teaching me to listen to my body. It also has been exciting and interesting every time I can do a little more or notice improvements and change. Almost like the quick changes if adolescence…without all the drama and hormones!
 
When I walk with a cane (5 weeks post op) I try to concentrate on leading with the heal, bending (even exaggerated) and lifting with my toes. It feels weird, but that bend is important. When attempting without cane, just around the house, I try to do the same, and definitely feel when I'm walking too stiff legged. As for walking faster? Not yet, that's for sure!
 
Marching exercises not going well here

TKR. 5-18-21

I did get in the outdoor pool today and it felt
great even if the water was a bit cool

Silver Sneaker Exercise Class marches every day

PT had me lie on belly and use a strap to pull my leg to my
butt. That didn’t go well
 
I walked around the block today without stopping! No cane! No pain in my new knee. While still stiff, it felt solid and strong! My right knee that will be replaced sometime in my future, was the achy one on this walk, even with the cortisone shot I had on Thursday. Before surgery I would need to stop every two houses to rest my knees. What an improvement! Feeling great with this progress! Even the post surgery aches and pains aren’t bothering me as much today because I’m so pleased with this walk! :happydance:
 
I would never use a strap and force the bend. That is so counterproductive and will set that new knee back. Tell your PT NO! Your ROM will come with time, not force.
Doxie, sounds like you are on the upswing! Good girl!
 
Ironically, my PT today told me I probably walked too much (and with a too stiff gait). Yesterday afternoon my knee was swollen, hot to touch, red, and painful. Better today, but I need some work!
 
Looking for recommendations.

Planning a day at the beach this weekend. How should I protect my 11 week incision? The skin is still tender. A thick amount sunblock with a high SPF? Or some sort of physical barrier? If a physical barrier, what should it be?

How should I plan for walking on sand? Flip flops are out, and I am not a fan of water shoes. I’m ok with keeping the athletic shoes on if needed. I’m planning on athletic shoes.

And for walking in the ocean? The most I would go is to the knee. And maybe only the ankle or not at all if I don’t feel stable.

thanks in advance!
 
Hi @doxiemom2017

I’m on a similar time line to you,(RTKR 26 April 21)
I went to the beach there last week it was heavenly !!
I had on 3 quarter leggings which I kept on even when I went for a swim. However I’m not sure what air temp your dealing with, in Ireland you’d nearly need the leggings on :heehee:

the sea was very calm and I just took my time walking slowly in and once I was submerged I stayed underwater sort of vertically floating and although the water was cool it was bliss and my knee loved it

I did keep my trainers on for any walking I done other than going in for a swim and I brought a crutch and a husband to steady me going over any unsteady/stoney ground

have a wonderful time at the beach it’s my favourite place
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom