Anyone have robotic hip surgery?

TragicallyHip

Country
United States United States
Hello, all. I am new to this forum and the surgeon I am considering only does robotic hip replacement. He has told me only the positives of the surgery--allegedly faster recovery and more precision with the artificial joint replacement. He also only does a spinal block--not general anesthesia.

Because in the past I have had issues with general anesthesia, at first I was thrilled about the spinal block. But I have read where many folks who had THR and spinal block have had unrelenting nerve issues--even a year post surgery. Also, I have done some reearch and found that bone fractures where the navigational pins are placed is not exactly uncommon. I've also read that, contrary to what my doctor claims, medical journals say there is only a "marginally" better outcome with robotic procedures for THR.

So...I have twocategories of questions for anyone in this group who may have had robotic assist THR and/or a spinal nerve block instead of general anesthesia:

(1) ROBITIC SURGERY EXPERIENCE: What was your experience with the surgery? Did you have issues with where the navigational pins were placed? How long was your recovery? Would you do robotic surgery again--why or why not?

(2) SPINAL BLOCK EXPERIENCE: What was your experience like with this? Did you have nerve pain that didn't resolve? What was your post-surgical pain like? Would you do it again--or would you use general anesthesia next time? Why or why not?

I'm sure you are wondering why I don't just ask my doctor these questions. Well, I have tried. Apologies for all the questions, but I am really starting to get uncomfortable with the robotic surgery--especially since my doctor was in a rush when talking with me, and brushed off my questions. I specifically asked him what the potential side effects or risks of the nerve block here, and he said, "You can ask the anesthesiologist that the day of surgery." WHAT?! No,. no, no... I want to know BEFORE so I can make an informed decision. When I asked about the risks of robotic surgery, he said, "After you set a surgery date, we'll send you a link for a video that explains the surgery." He literally stood up and started to leave the room to go to another patient while I was in mid-sentence, and said, "It was very nice to meet you. The PA can schedule your surgery."

He left the PA to answer any remaining questions, yet she couldn't. She literally said, "I'm sure you can do some research on Google to find out more about robotic surgery if you don't want to schedule your surgery today. Just know that we might not have surgical dates available for six months or more if you wait to schedule."

Sheesh...sounds like a high-pressure used car salesman.

Anyway, I would be eternally grateful to anyone who is willing to share his or her experiences with the above.

Take care, everyone.

Oh...one more thing. I know this doc does a lot of surgeries, but when I asked the PA what his success rate was, she said, "I don't know that we track that." I call bull****. I know hospitals track that. I mentioned that I wanted to ask the doctor that question, but she said, "I don't think he has that info, either."

This is a nationally-recognized orthopaedic hospital, so I am sure the doc is good. But still, I want to know results just for peace of mind. Has anyone else had their doc claim they don't have their success rate info available?? Just curious.

@TragicallyHip Welcome to BoneSmart! If you go to the search area on the blue header above and type in "robotic surgery" you will get a list of the threads here that mention it - both hip and knee surgeries. And I'm sure other folks will see your posts and offer their experiences. I have not personally had robotic surgery. I did have spinal anesthesia once for a knee arthroscopic procedure and had no problems with that type of anesthesia except I woke up about half way through and watched as the surgeon was scooping pieces of my meniscus out of the inside of my knee. I knew what was happening and was not terribly upset by the experience -- it was just rather weird to see the inside of the knee. For my hip replacements (both done in the same surgical session) I had general anesthesia and had no problems with that either. Just my opinion ..... for any surgery I'd really rather just wake up after it's all over. Yes with spinal you also get sedation and most folks snooze through.

Here are some articles that may help you::

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

(2) SPINAL BLOCK EXPERIENCE: What was your experience like with this? Did you have nerve pain that didn't resolve? What was your post-surgical pain like? Would you do it again--or would you use general anesthesia next time? Why or why not?
I had a spinal for my hip replacement four years ago and have had absolutely no issues. As someone who suffers terrible nausea after GA, I was thrilled when I woke up from the surgery with a clear head and no queasiness. In fact, I was so please with the outcome that I requested it for my knee replacement two years later and have asked for it again for my upcoming surgery.

I am really starting to get uncomfortable with the robotic surgery--especially since my doctor was in a rush when talking with me
I would find it very concerning if my surgeon couldn't take the time to answer my questions. It's important that you feel heard by the person who is performing this surgery. I don't like to be negative, but -- if it was me, I would find someone else.

No robots for me, my OS and his team is all I had. I didn't schedule surgery the first time I saw him and went back for another visit before I committed. I did the same with my 2nd with the same OS, no pressure to schedule at all. He assured me no long wait times whenever I decided. Post-op with my second while he was visiting me in my room the following day I asked him about how he can schedule like he does and why he spends as much time as he does with patients. He says it's all about time management, he seems to do a good job with his time and so does his office. I can always get an answer to my questions the day I call or an appointment in a few days if I need it.
Spinal block was great. I've had plenty of previous surgeries all with GA, never enjoyed the post op grogginess and nausea sometimes. With the spinal block they put me in what they call twilight state so I wasn't aware of anything. In post-op when I woke I was wide awake. I could have picked up a book and started reading. No effects on anything, I was thirsty and hungry when I awoke never had any grogginess at all.

@TragicallyHip - I can’t comment on the robot but I had the spinal with sedation. Went out like a light, woke up in recovery full of beans, talking nonsense and was pretty soon eating and drinking. Check out my early posts for the diary.
I did have fainting episodes and vomiting but I think that was related to low blood pressure and the medication.
Since the operation, right from the beginning, the pain was minimal. I gather this is one of the pluses of the spinal.
My friend’s son is an anaesthetist and she asked him for me about safety issues and reassured me that one isn’t better or worse than the other from that point of view.
Only nerve issues I’ve had were very minor and the so-called zingers of nerves repairing themselves.
I wouldn’t be happy though with an OS who isn’t willing to give you the courtesy of time to discuss these issues. Although for them it’s their bread and butter, it is still major surgery.
Good luck.

I had a spinal for my hip replacement four years ago and have had absolutely no issues. As someone who suffers terrible nausea after GA, I was thrilled when I woke up from the surgery with a clear head and no queasiness.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, as I, too, have had EXTREME nasea from GA--to the point of throwing up to the point of dry heaves and having to go to ER for IV fluids. So, hopefully the spinal block will work.

No robots for me, my OS and his team is all I had. I didn't schedule surgery the first time I saw him and went back for another visit before I committed. I did the same with my 2nd with the same OS, no pressure to schedule at all. He assured me no long wait times whenever I decided. Post-op with my second while he was visiting me in my room the following day I asked him about how he can schedule like he does and why he spends as much time as he does with patients. He says it's all about time management, he seems to do a good job with his time and so does his office. I can always get an answer to my questions the day I call or an appointment in a few days if I need it.
Spinal block was great. I've had plenty of previous surgeries all with GA, never enjoyed the post op grogginess and nausea sometimes. With the spinal block they put me in what they call twilight state so I wasn't aware of anything. In post-op when I woke I was wide awake. I could have picked up a book and started reading. No effects on anything, I was thirsty and hungry when I awoke never had any grogginess at all.
I noticed you are in TN. I had to go to an urgent care a few weeks ago for a viral infection, and the doc and I got talking about hip replacements. (He was in a chatty mood and the office was not busy at all, so he had time to chat.) He mentioned a friend of his who is in TN and is a marathon runner. Had both hips done by a TN ortho and he is again running marathons! TN must have good ortho surgs. :)

@Jaycey Have you heard of anyone who has had issues with where the pins are placed? I have heard a few issues with that (hip actually fracturing post surgery where the nav pins were placed). My doc wants to do the robotic surgery on me and I am really concerned about this potential negative outcome.

My surgeon used a Mako bot for my LTHR 8 weeks ago, and my bone did crack where he inserted the stem. It didn't need wire, plates, or anything to brace it, so I was lucky considering, but I'm limited to walking, cycling, and swimming, and I'll have to wait for the follow up in two months to see when I can get back to weight lifting.

But as far as getting around, I'm still moving better than before surgery. From the other recovery forums, I don't seem to be in anymore pain than anyone else (honestly, less pain than a lot of people despite the cracked bone). The biggest difference is probably just a little extra time on the cane and being a little more careful still. I would do the surgery over again if I had to, even with the crack.

I feel like in the "which is better debate" the answer is "what is your surgeon comfortable with" if your surgeon is skilled with the robot, you should be fine. In my case, I get the strong impression that my surgeon is good with knees, but doesn't do as many hips, and my joint was collapsed by the time I did surgery, which makes it harder anyway. I don't think not using a bot would have avoided any problems, if that makes sense.

But your surgeon sounded really dismissive, so if you can get an opinion of a second one to see if you like them better, it would probably make you feel more confident about surgery regardless of which method you end up doing. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed response; I found it very helpful!

Have you heard of anyone who has had issues with where the pins are placed? I have heard a few issues with that (hip actually fracturing post surgery where the nav pins were placed).
Fractures can happen during THR. But please don't assume this would be the case for you!

Sounds like you might need to find another surgeon that you trust. You need to be able to let your surgeon and their team use their skills.

I noticed you are in TN. I had to go to an urgent care a few weeks ago for a viral infection, and the doc and I got talking about hip replacements. (He was in a chatty mood and the office was not busy at all, so he had time to chat.) He mentioned a friend of his who is in TN and is a marathon runner. Had both hips done by a TN ortho and he is again running marathons! TN must have good ortho surgs. :)
Big state where were you in TN? Can't say about any marathon runners from my OS. He does have my pic on his wall as I'm still racing my car.

@TragicallyHip Given the issue you are having with your surgeon, you might find the following article helpful:

I had a robot assisted right hip replacement Sept 2022.

My surgeon used the MAKO robot.

In the hands of a gifted surgeon the robot is a game changer.

More repeatable and more precise than any surgeon alone. Less time under sedation and less blood lost.

More perfect alignment of the bionic parts.

The pin locators were tiny incisions that healed very quickly

Reactions: Law
I had a spinal for my hip replacement four years ago and have had absolutely no issues. As someone who suffers terrible nausea after GA, I was thrilled when I woke up from the surgery with a clear head and no queasiness. In fact, I was so please with the outcome that I requested it for my knee replacement two years later and have asked for it again for my upcoming surgery.

I am really starting to get uncomfortable with the robotic surgery--especially since my doctor was in a rush when talking with me
I would find it very concerning if my surgeon couldn't take the time to answer my questions. It's important that you feel heard by the person who is performing this surgery. I don't like to be negative, but -- if it was me, I would find someone else.
@djklaugh Ok, wait. YOU WOKE UP HALFWAY THROUGH?

@Law yes for the knee arthroscopic procedure I had spinal anesthesia with sedation and did wake up during the procedure. But the awake time was not very long ... a few minutes is my guess .... before the anesthesiologist administered some more sedation medication and I went back to sleep.

Still, my god.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bassetmom