Anyone have a torn labrum and FIA leading to a THR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if others have tried any adjunct treatment pre or post THR - specifically stem cell or cold laser. Just exploring options....
 
@Ramp There is so much information out there, it can be almost as overwhelming as actually being diagnosed with OA in the first place.
Like you, I struggled with the diagnosis initially. Then when I accepted it, I battled with the surgeons to find someone to actually agree to do it. The ortho's in my town are very old school, and based on my age decided that I needed to wait for surgery. That led me to a pile of internet searches to find a surgeon that will work with younger people. I opted for a hip resurfacing, and will go in for that in March 2017. It is similar to a THR, but removes less bone. It is a metal on metal implant, which has been a hotbed of controversy over the years, but the BHR procedure has so far proven to be effective (provided you have a surgeon who is very familiar with the process). There are horror stories, as well as amazing recovery stories. Give me a few months, and I'll let you know how mine goes. My surgery is going to be done in Kingston, but I know there are a number of well respected surgeons in the GTA.
 
Wow, I will wish you the best of luck. You are the same as as I am. Some days I feel a little different. This morning my left does not hurt as much but my right feels like I have been punched in the hip just behind my hip bone. There is no argument that my hips are not great and the MRI and the xrays show lots of issues or potential issues. However there is a small part in the back of my mind that wonders why 6 months ago I had no issues, why did it come on so fast. Some people think it could be a back issues in my lower lumbar. Some kind of damage or pinch and maybe combined with hip issues. I would hate to get surgery for my hip and wake up with the same pain so I need to explore the back first to make sure 100% that its not the hips cause most of the pain. Did your pain come on very fast? Did you try any injections? I will research the BHR procedure. I know there have been recent amazing leaps in allows like the new titanium gold alloy that they are trying to use for a hip replacement for life. So if I can put it off a few more years then I maybe would not ever need a revision.

I have seen two doctors here in the GTA and both gave me totally different answers so I am confused a little for sure. I think I have read metal on metal can give some issues with wear and tear and fragments but is bigger so less chance of dislocation and maybe preferred for more active younger people.
 
specifically stem cell or cold laser. Just exploring options....
If you do a search of the forum, you will find many threads discussion stem cell treatment. But my informed opinion is that it's a promise that hasn't lived up to the hype. Most information I've had access to say that success is only really possible if treatment is done before there is any damage in the joint! Which essentially means that you have to present yourself for treatment before you are even remotely aware of any problems!
 
Thanks for weighing in Josephine. Any thoughts on cold laser therapy popular with some Chiropracters? It is far less invasive but not sure if there is any science to back it up for severe hip OA.
 
Although I cannot speak directly to experience with cold laser therapy, I must say that arthritis is arthritis. There really is nothing that does much to counter the pain and continuing deterioration of the joint. Some of these "therapies" are quite expensive and not covered by insurance. Most of the time they just prolong the agony. When arthritis is bad enough to be consistently painful and determined as "severe," it's time to get the joint replaced and move on with your life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom