Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Anyone get this rash? 2 weeks post op

I hope I'm putting this question in the right place as I got messages saying only 1 thread per person in recovery.so here goes.

My husband is 6 weeks post bilateral knee replacement. He was scanned/ doppler in rehab on week 2. They found a small clot in both calf areas that were very small.

He was on Ecotrin at the time and stayed on that while in rehab. When he followed up with his primary (the surgeon said to get a scan again in hospital and let his primary follow it) so his doc put him on xarelto pk x 3 weeks.

Now that he is almost finished with Xarelto I would think the doc would want to re-scan the areas to see if they are increased or decreased, right? Also does anyone know if it's true that they don't really care if the clot is in lower extremities (below the knee), that they only start Heparin or Warfarin if its in the upper thigh area?

I put a call in to his doc as I have not heard back if he needs to re-scan or not. Does anyone know if it's normal to live with these clots in his lower legs forever?

He does have a history of varicose veins in his family. He has had bad veins his whole life but never had a clot till post op.

Thanks in advance.

When I called the office they told me he should probably just come in for follow up without the scan and discuss/discontinue the Xarelto.

That does not seem right to me. He has no heart problems or atrial fibrillation. He's only on Xarelto to prevent further clots - I was told post op so that's why I am confused!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I'm putting this question in the right place
Yes, you're posting in the right place - the recovery thread for your husband's TKRs.
However, I've had to do a lot of editing of your post, to make it understandable.
Please will you use paragraphs instead of one long block of text?
And use complete words, not abbreviations.

If the problem is that you're typing on a phone, a laptop computer would be easier.

He was scanned/ doppler in rehab on week 2.
They found a small clot in both calf areas that were very small.

He was on Ecotrin at the time and stayed on that while in rehab.
When he followed up with his primary (the surgeon said to get a scan again in hospital and let his primary follow it) so his doc put him on Xarelto pk x 3 weeks.
It has been shown that Aspirin is a pretty good anticoagulant, too.
Aspirin as effective as warfarin for prevention of blood clots after TJR

Now that he is almost finished with Xarelto I would think the doc would want to re-scan the areas to see if they are increased or decreased, right?
Possibly, but that isn't always done.
Also does anyone know if it's true that they don't really care if the clot is in lower extremities( below the knee), that they only start Heparin or Warfarin if its in the upper thigh area?
No, that's not true at all. They care wherever the clot occurs. In fact the most frequent and most serious blood clots (DVTs or Deep Vein Thromboses) occur in the calf.
Aspirin and Xarelto are just as effective at dealing with blood clots as Heparin and Warfarin are.
Did you think that your husband was being treated with less than optimum care, just because his blood clots were below his knee?

When I called the office they told me he should probably just come in for follow up without the scan and discuss/discontinue the Xarelto.
That does not seem right to me . He has no heart problems or atrial fibrillation. He's only on Xarelto to prevent further clots-
Because you only wrote "disc" or "d/c" - I'm not sure which now - I don't know if you meant discontinue or discuss the Xarelto.
The anticoagulants (Aspirin and Xarelto) will have probably dissolved the blood clots by now, especially as they were only small.
Your husband is much more mobile now, too, so the chances of him getting more blood clots have decreased.
I expect he will be told he can discontinue taking anticoagulants.
 
How long do people use the ice 3x a day. For my hubby it is about 2 months out still going to PT and they ice his knees there after therapy. He wants to know if he still has to do this at home? No swelling, no pain, really just tightness at this point thank you.

I cannot find my initial thread - help!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Anyone get this rash? 2 weeks post op
@Hubbysneez, from the February surgery list thread into your own thread which you could not find.

Here are some links to help you locate your thread and locate another member's thread:
How can I find my threads and posts?
Finding another member's threads and posts


If your hubby is no longer dealing with swelling and a lot of pain, then icing is not necessary. It can be used if swelling should occur because of increased activity of some sort later on.

Take care and keep us posted. We care!

 
@Hubbyzneez, did you ever get a resolution to your husbsnds jumpy legs.? I take it it only started after his op? Although I experienced jumpy legs occasionally before the op it’s been wild since I got home and keeping me from sleeping. Only nod off about fourish in the morning after four or five hours of mega restlessness-it’s a nightmare!!!
 
He wants to know if he still has to do this at home?
That's entirely up to him.
No swelling, no pain, really just tightness
Tightness IS pain. As also are other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. They are not to be minimised.
 
@Hubbysneez - You didn't come back to tell us how your husband got on about the anticoagulants.
Please can you update us?
 
Hello,

Had anyone complained of restless leg syndrome (my hubby calls it jimmy legs)??

I know exactly what your hubby is talking about. The difference for me is it can be my arm, leg or sometimes whole body that 'jolts' me, together with severe leg cramps (calves) sometimes it's hard to get a good nights sleep. I have had them for as long as I can recall, there is no pattern and I can go days/weeks without one... From research with Dr Google it seems quite a common problem.

I have started magnesium tablets once a day for the last 6 months and although it has done nothing for the 'jolts' it has certainly helped with the leg cramps, can't recall the last time I had one now.

The other thing I have noticed is the 'jolts' seem to happen just as I am about to fall asleep.... I dread the tought of it happening after my surgery !

Hope your Hubby starts to improve soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom