THR Any regrets?

Titanium hipste

Country
United States United States
I'm having left hip replacement in couple of weeks. Hope I made the right decision. Lived with limping and pain for 2 years.

Hello @Titanium hipste and :welome: to the BoneSmart forum.

I hope yuo take some time to read other members recovery threads, there are many many people who come out of the surgery saying that they wish they had done iit sooner, including myself!

I will leave you some reading material to read,, there is a lot of information to help you prepare for your upcoming surgery..

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

I hope some of the articles help in getting you prepared for your surgery date.

Can you please give us the date of your surgery and which hip that it is? The moderators will make you a signature with that information. It is very helpful when answering any of your questions. :thumb:

August 6th is when I'm scheduled. Left hip. I'm anxious but the stories I hear from others who had it done say they wished they had it done before.

Thank you for that information! Yes, there are many of us that say, within the early days post op-- "why did I wait so long?"
But we all have to find our way, in our own time.
Then we find BoneSmart and it all gets easier to deal with. At least that was my experience and why I am still on the forum, giving back. :yes::SUNsmile:

My only concerns are post op: pain and how soon I can do 'normal ' activities again. I made a mistake by watching a hip replacement YouTube from beginning to end. OMG. They use a hammer to put the stem in.

Post op pain is normally controlled with medications. I took my medication on a schedule to stay ahead of any pain and life was good and actually weaned off fairly early with my last hip.

Activities keep adding up as we recovery. What is normal is unique to each of us. For me the first normal was walking without pain- happened right after surgery. As recovery progressed being able to walk more and more was wonderful and being able to do stairs normally. Right now at 8m+ I am very happy to be able to get on and off the riding lawn tractor without any issues. I can weed whack a lot of brush without issues except for the heat (I live in the country). I can ride a bike without a problem. I can swim. I guess the question what is the normal you want to get back to. There are many here that are back to more intense exercise and some sports if you read some of the recovery stories.

They use a hammer to put the stem in.
It's all carpentry! But you won't feel or hear anything.

The good news is unlike pre-op pain, post op pain can be controlled. Your priority while still in the hospital is to work with staff to get your pain management cocktail just right. Icing will also help reduce any swelling that causes pain.

You will need to be patient and let your hip and the surrounding soft tissues heal. Pushing only results in frustration and set backs. Add any "normal" activity very slowly working up to a normal level. Listen to that hip. It will quickly tell you if you have gone too far.

This what I was hoping for....getting on and off zero turn mower as I love to mow and tend to the yard and vegetable garden. Maybe next spring I can use the large rototiller...or maybe not.
I just hope I can have restful sleep during post op recovery. For past 2 years I've had hip pain which caused poor sleep. I kept tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. Almost like having a kidney stone. Thank you all for your advice.

Using a ride on mower should be no problem once you are cleared to drive. Gardening may be a push in the early days but once you are fully healed it should be no problem. I have a huge garden and am out hacking back the vegetation 3-4 times per week.

Sleep - well there won't be the tossing and turning due to pre-op pain. And if you stay ahead of any post op pain in the early days you will probably sleep well. But sleep problems are usually a part of this recovery I am afraid. If you have a recliner you might find it more comfortable than bed at first. Here's an article from our Library that might give some insight: Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Thank you....I do have a recliner which prevents me from turning on either of my sides when asleep. Ill use that. Thanks again for your kind support.

Mowing is wonderful without pain. I, too, love to mow. I do not have a zero turn mower but I mow about a total of 3-5 acres but not all in one piece with up hill and down dale in some places. It looks so great when done. I have a small veggie garden this year with slightly raised beds. Nothing like fresh veggies. Next year bigger garden is in my plan. Your turn is coming up.

Y'all are crazy! Love to mow grass??!!?

Um, 'scuse me, back on topic here. @Titanium hipste I have zero regrets, zip, nada. Why would I? The old ones hurt and didn't work, and I couldn't walk around the block without pain. These ones work, and any pain I have is either my own fault or , or, my own fault.

The complete recovery does take a year, but if you are like some, you may have "the forgotten hip" before then. Both of mine kept improving during the second year, too. I do everything I want (that I can afford and have time for, and my other conditions allow... you know how it goes). My triumph is being the geriatric star of my barre studio's clientele. I walk, I do short sprints (intentionally not running for exercise so as not to need a revision hopefully), I cross my legs like a pretzel, I am currently sitting on the floor tailor-fashion as I tap words, I kayak when I can... I was never an extreme athlete, never skied, only surfed the summer I was 15, never rollerbladed or skateboarded, haven't biked since the second hip but that's just a fluke of circumstance. I will never bungee jump nor skydive (no nerve), might zipline but who knows. Will never rock climb; need my hands for work. Won't golf; don't understand the appeal. Can't ride a horse; it hurts my back (last time I tried I was 27.... it really hurt!) But all those things, bar bungee jumping and maybe skydiving, have been done by hippies, yes, even ballet.

When hip number two was a year and a half old, I decided to go back to ballet, which I hadn't done in 30 years. Well, it wasn't much fun, but I discovered barre, and am a certifiable barre rat now.

And wow, you watched the live THR???? You could not pay me enough! But it certainly showed you graphically why you might have just a little bit of post-op pain.... which will be well-managed by you taking your meds by the clock.

Keep asking questions, you will meet wonderful people and learn so much!

:wave:Put me in the camp of I wished I would have done it sooner.

I also spent over 2 years hurting, limping. And Not Sleeping. :umm:

I am still ever so grateful for my new lease on life with my new hips.:egypdance:

Hope I made the right decision. Lived with limping and pain for 2 years.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Yes, you’ve made a wise choice. You’ll be on your way to a brighter future without the pain. After awhile, you’ll forget you even had a hip replacement at times.
Stay in touch, we’ll be here for support and encouragement through it all. :)

Yep, me, too. Went on about 2 years with things going downhill real fast. People were even saying I made them hurt when they saw me limping. THR was the best thing I did and finding this forum was the next blessing. Not too much longer now. You got this, fellow gardener.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom