Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jaymo Made these bran muffins as part of my arsenal https://allrecipes.com/recipe/159466/roxies-bran-muffins/
Not only did they taste good but loaded with fiber. Actually the most important thing to do is to keep fluid intake up. Small walks help also --my home PT had me doing two loops down the hallway from bedroom to living room every two hours. It really is a matter of listening to your body...:)
Oh--and get a pretty nightie and go commando at home.....:whistle:
 
Thanks so much for the input! I think my OS is a bit in the conservative side and gives precautions for 90 days just to be extra cautious. And I know my wooden leg will remind me not to overdo it. I have been practicing sitting without bending my leg and practicing dressing with my fancy new reacher grabber thing. I know it's going to be very handy during recovery and beyond. Doc told me not to cross legs AT ALL, even at ankles and NO TWISTING. the PA (who had a THR himself) showed me in the exam room how to walk correctly to turn myself around as an alternative to twisting, all while keeping the toes pointed ahead.

Yes the trip at 3 weeks is simply to join some of my boyfriends family at the beach. For a week. In a 3 story house. I said no from the beginning and told him to go without me. I know there will be more opportunities next year when I am healed. I'm also missing the wedding of one of my best friends children- that one I am sad about. I've known this kid for 25 years and really want to be there but she understands why I can't. I think the bigger issue is that my boyfriend (of 10 years) just doesn't understand the level of pain I am in now and doesn't understand that my recovery will take time, and that I won't be to walk miles at a time 1 month out. He simply doesn't get it. This post op period will be a test for us I'm sure. I know he's tired of hearing about my pain and all of the things that I can no longer do so he's anxious for me to get back to my old self. However, I am not going to rush or push myself for him or anyone else- my hip is in charge. Luckily my daughter and circle of friends are pitching in to assist me during recovery so he won't feel obligated to be here all of the time. But there is a part of me that wishes he understood and was a bit more emotionally supportive during this time.

New nighties- check. New looser yoga pants- check. T shirt dresses- check. New undies- check, but I reserve the right to go commando at home[emoji12]

Thanks so much for all of the tips and support- you guys are making a big difference in my preop journey. 12 days to go!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
the bigger issue is that my boyfriend (of 10 years) just doesn't understand the level of pain I am in now and doesn't understand that my recovery will take time,
I downloaded and printed out the BS recovery documents for my OH. I think it is important they understand, as well as you, exactly what to expect. That way they can be far more effective carers.
 
@MissMuffett- thank you. I will print it and share with him.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Joint class today - what fun! Head nurse, PT director and social worker all there to outline the process of admission, surgery, recovery etc. Most of the information I already had since my OS office is so great about providing much of that up front. I won't get my goodies (walker, toilet seat) etc. until I am discharged from the hospital. I was amazed at how many of the folks in class are not prepared, especially for their PT after surgery. All of my appointments for PT, post op checks are already made. It did help to go to the hospital and see it and meet the staff. It makes it a bit more familiar (which eases my anxiety) so I won't feel like I'm in a totally strange place on the big day. Overall they were positive, but really drilled home 2 things: there will be SOME pain after surgery - it's not totally pain free, and your recovery requires your participation. They empasized that they have "lots of drugs" upstairs and they won't let you go home until they know your pain is controlled.

I got my reacher and hip pad and pillow over the weekend and have started rearraging the house so I have my frequently used items at waist level. bought more T shirt dresses and loose pants. I have a strong urge to nest and clean. Trying to find house cleaners and carpet cleaners that work on weekends. Every day at work is meetings back to back so no chance of squeezing it in during the week. I am a neat freak and would prefer to have everything neat and sparkly before my recovery starts. If it gets done great, if not oh well.

8 days and counting!! Nervous and excited!
 
@jaymo - wow, I can really identify with much of your story. I also spent 2 years (plus tons of money in co-pays) with a neurologist being treated for piriformis syndrome, some lower back issues, 3 nerve blocks, etc. All the while, my hip was the primary culprit. Now being on the other side of the surgery, taking your first steps in years without pain is truly liberating. I will be praying for your surgery and recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @ HipMomof3 for sharing - It always helps to hear others stories and words of encouragment. I'm ready for the liberation!
 
Wow @jaymo - you're only a week away now! Sounds like you have everything in order and ready to go! Roll up any throw rugs, etc....and take a deep breath. Everything will be just fine. One of my major concerns prior to surgery was the amount of "burden" I would be to my DH....and how he would handle it. (I'd had previous not-so-good experience with surgical recovery last year). I am happy to report that he did....and still does....rise to the occasion! Granted, it took a bit of guidance on my part since I knew there were going to be things I simply could not do....and would depend on him. But being a tad stubborn myself, I felt everything I 'thought' I could do, I'd attempt. Then, when I needed him, at least he knew I was making every effort.....and never, even once, failed to thank him for his help. I'm sure I sounded like a broken record, but it one of those "put yourself in their shoes" things. Good luck to you. I'll try peeking in on you to see how things are going.....which will be s,oothly, I'm sure.
 
Thanks @nana!! Won't be long now. I'm filled with a mix of excitement and anxiety. Focusing on that magic moment when I wake up in recovery and they tell me it's done! This weekend will be spent preparing freezer meals, stocking up on staples and rearranging things I use daily for easy access. Been trying to do it during the week but between work, chores and preop exercises haven't made much progress.

I can't imagine being any more prepared thanks to the advice and tips from everyone here and my Drs office. And I'm grateful.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MetEish- thanks for the encouraging words. I have every reason to think I will feel that way in 3 weeks too. My surgery is only 3 days away and I had a bit of a meltdown today. Between the pain, getting house organized and cleaned, and living in the chaos of my daughters family it was just too much for me. My daughter, her boyfriend , my grandson( who I love dearly) and their poorly behaved animals temporarily living with me for 6 weeks which has turned out to be 9 weeks, I can't get much time alone to prepare myself emotionally and just relax. They were supposed to move on Labor Day but renovations are taking much longer than anticipated. Had to do the tough love and tell them they have to be gone by Wednesday so I can recover in peace.

Besides that kind of stress I am just getting scared and nervous for th surgery. I don't want to hear anything in the OR. And I don't want to wait for hours in preop working myself into a frenzy. Either way I will survive I just don't want to be reduced to a blubbering mess of tears on the way to surgery.

I'm praying for a more positive outlook tomorrow


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was just thinking that your surgery must be coming up soon, @jaymo, and sure enough - 2 days away!!! It's almost time to breathe a HUGE sigh of relief - you're just inches away from being on the other side now!! It sounds like all of your pre-op preparations are well in hand, both from a medical standpoint AND having all your "goodies" at home ready for when you arrive, freshly post-op!

I imagine it was a difficult thing to tell the kids they needed to be out, but I think you were wise. Although a bit of distraction is helpful, when it comes to a busy young family and animals, I know I'd need some quietness in order to just rest and mentally prepare for the surgery.

I wanted to remind you that you're definitely not alone in having the pre-op jitters. I was anxious, worried, afraid I would wake up in the middle of the surgery (I didn't!); there were tears and worries and yes, several meltdowns as I got closer... BUT... If my experience can encourage you, here it is!

When the day arrived to leave for the hospital, there was a sense of resolve and relief. The horrible, life-limiting, debilitating pain was going to be dealt with! Finally!!!!! I limped into the room where I was prepared for surgery, ready to move on to life without grinding agony - and it was fine! The anesthesiologist came in to review what he'd be doing (spinal with sedation), and I told him my BIG concerns about waking up. He assured me he'd be keeping a very close eye on me, and then to help me relax before the surgery he gave me a nice dose of something wonderful into my IV.

Please don't worry about being scared - we ALL were!!!! And the staff at your hospital sounds like they are NOT going to let you work yourself into a frenzied panic! Remember, as you've probably read multiple times here on the forum, you are entrusting yourself to the experts! They know what they're doing, and you can rest in their expertise!!! Just think - it will all be done with a week from now!!! Now THERE'S a reason to celebrate!!!! I'll be praying for you the next few days, as well as on Thursday! All will be well, my friend!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Tomorrow is the day!!! Finally! Don't worry about becoming "blubbery" before the surgery. In fact, if you tell them your concerns, and if there is any delay, trust me, they have some "la-la juice" they can pop into that IV. I'm glad you exercised some tough love and will come home to a quiet house....and no dogs to trip you up. You really need to be a little bit selfish during your recovery.....it's only temporary.....just like their living with you was "only temporary". As much as it may have been looked at as extra help, I think the trade off of peace and quiet is well worth it. - You'll do great tomorrow.....we will be holding your hand....and patiently awaiting your posts on the other side.
 
@DizzyBlond and @nana- your words of validation are so comforting right now- truly they are. Had a slight meltdown this afternoon but recovered and powered on. I'm enjoying peace and quiet right now and I desperately needed it to relax. Bag is packed, used the antibiotic wipes and am tucked in bed for a few hours before the big event.

The kids left an hour ago and while I will miss seeing them every day I need to take this time to prepare myself.

My OS called me tonight to ask if I was ready to get my new hip, ask if I had any questions, and reassured me they would take great care of me. Arrival time is 6 am and he said they would take me back and get started right away. What a nice gesture for him to take time to call me personally-typical of his style. He's my hero for sure.

My wait is almost over! Thanks to everyone here for supporting me through my jitters, questions and everything else. Could not have prepared nearly as well without all of your input. Time to start my post op thread - hard to believe I'm saying that! I'll meet you lovelies on the other side!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom