Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jaycey - yes I should have said I have resolved myself to living with these restrictions for a full 90 days. That's my OS policy - 90 degree restrictions for a full 90 days, which when I think about it is not that practical for when I go back to work. I can work from home initially where I have the proper height chair and toilet, but its different here in the office. I may need to work from home longer than planned. Oh well - I will figure that out when the time comes.

@ MetFish - I am definitely reminding myself every day that my current pain level will soon be a thing of the past. And, looking at the big picture, I will have weeks or a month of post op pain, which I can control, compared to the years of chronic pain I've been experiencing. I remind myself of that fact every day and it eases my fears for sure.

My current hang up is the practical bits of everyday living - dressing, bathing, potty. I envisioned restrictions for 6 weeks, not a full 90 days. I know it will be tough at first and then I will get the hang of it. However I didn't expect the 90 degree rule for a full 90 days. I guess I will figure it out since I have no choice. I will have to remind myself of it in the third month if Im feeling good otherwise.
 
Jaymo- Your 'hang ups' are/were ones we all have/had. I see you're in NC....and having surgery next month...which means nice weather! Meaning, you might be able to live in tee-shirt dresses, loose shorts, no socks, etc. I found hi-cut undies were a life saver. And not having to 'trip' over long leg pants....or getting tangled during potty stops. Speaking of....if there's one bit of advice I can share, which came as a bit of surprise to me, PLAN ahead for those ever-frequent potty stops!! It will take you a lot longer to 'get there'!! (I swore it was a conspiracy ....surgery fills us with fluids, thereby insisting that we must eliminate, thus making us do more moving to and fro....equals....built-in PT!!!). - Raised toilet seat....a must! Showering....get a safe bath mat for within the shower. You'll feel wobbly-legged for awhile....but oh so good to feel a good shower! We have a walk-in shower and I still had my DH hold my arm the first few showers....poor guy was dully splashed!!! Walgreens carries adult size body wipes if you need them initially. Some of us went with the idea of clean hair equals better attitude. I washed mine at the kitchen sink the first few times....using the "golfers bend". I made what I considered the BEST ice packs....and used them nearly non-stop for the first week or so. Soft, mold able and retained their "chill" longer than store bought. Mine were various colored which helped DH when retrieving the next one. - Stock up now on needs to ward off constipation afterwards. - Just remember the Bonesmart mantra....rest, ice, elevate.....and plan ahead for potty stops! We will be here to cheer you on and answer any questions you have.
 
Just think, @jaymo, in less than a month you'll be done with that horrible hip pain! Once you get onto the recovery side of things, you'll find that all the wonderings about dislocation precautions, getting dressed, bathroom "challenges," etc. will all work out as you deal with them one at a time. I'm smiling to myself as I remember wondering about the same things before my THR. It all works out, and though it's challenging (I think it's wise to remind ourselves (and other significant people in our lives ;-) that this is MAJOR surgery, and it won't be easy those first few weeks.), the challenges are temporary. I'm only 5 weeks post-op (posterior), and I can't begin to tell you what it feels like to walk without that joint pain! I'm still on all the precautions, but how much easier everything gets as the weeks go by! You're so well prepared, you've got a great PA and OS who sound incredibly helpful - you're going to be great!!!!!!! :SUNsmile:
 
@ Nana2-8- you read my mind. I was just thinking about the fluids and then needing to go a few hours after! I'm sure that will be a challenge! However I'd much rather do that the first few times while nurses are around to help [emoji12] if needed. Funny story about my shower. I do have a standup shower and ordered a small shower bench last week. Put it together and got it in there. I sat down and have discovered that my shower is so tiny that my leg will hang out the door if I try to shower while sitting. Next to the shower is my deep soaker tub but the sides are too high to get my legs over the side without a different bench. I may just remove the bench and install some grab bars and get a good shower mat. Is there one that you recommend?

Having long hair I will be jonesing for a shampoo after about a week. My daughter went to cosmetology school so she's volunteered to wash my hair when I get to the point that I can't stand it. I did check out the adult sized wipes last night and got some as well as some lavender scented wipes to freshen up those first few days.

@Dizzy - I'm so encourages to hear that you are pain free now! I'm so happy to hear that and it gives me hope. I truly can't remember pain free walking so am looking forward to that. I'm still in awe that we live in a time where hip replacement is possible with such good outcomes. Fifty years ago we would not have this option at our ages so I am grateful for that.

I also do the counting thing where I say 2 weeks from now I will be doing such and such. It helps me focus on the positive milestones. So yesterday while driving home I thought to myself 3 weeks from today the surgery will be done and I will be at home beginning my recovery! It's coming up fast and I am so looking forward to getting this behind me.

It's warm here in NC so I plan to recover in t shirt dresses and things I can pull over my head. I have gained weight from the inactivity so most of my shorts I can't wear. I've ordered some larger stretchy Capri workout pants for my PT appointments so I don't flash everyone at the gym. Once I'm able to walk Painfree and build up my strength I'm going to have to curb myself from walking too much. Im anxious to get is weight off but recovery comes first. I have the rest of my life to walk walk walk[emoji2]


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo - The bathmat you get will depend on where your drain is located and how much room you have. I got mine at our local Shopko and it has served me well. Be careful with the grab bars....you don't want to depend on something that may slip....be sure the bar is imbedded into a stud. I found myself holding onto the faucet, and the wall, and barely moved!!!
 
15 days and counting! I'm starting to get scared even though I know this is the right thing to do. Mostly I'm worried about pain control at home. I've had to take Percocet for the increasing pain for the last 6 days. It completely saps my motivation and makes me depressed. I'm worried about how it will affect me when I have to take it for several weeks. Also just have the normal dose gave m horrible constipation and I'm already on stool softener - may have to up my dose postop to handle the increased Percocet dose.

I do get freaked out when I think about what the surgery entails but then I remind myself that OS is cutting out all the bad arthritic bone and cleaning all the bad stuff out and that is of some comfort.

My first PT appointment is scheduled at the gym for 5 days postop. I'm surprised they made it so soon. I will definitely need pain meds on board for that. Did anyone else start outpatient PT that son after surgery?

My job is crazy busy and I will be working right up through the day before my surgery. I'm happy to stay busy because it keeps my my mind busy but the pain is getting really hard to deal with during the day now. And I'm limping terribly.
I'm ready to get this done - wish I could fast forward to day after the surgery when I will begin my recovery at home!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mostly I'm worried about pain control at home.
I know it's hard to imagine but post op pain is nothing like what you are currently experiencing. In fact many new hippies don't need the heavy duty pain medication post op. I was discharged with only anti-inflammatory meds and Tylenol post both THRs.
My first PT appointment is scheduled at the gym for 5 days postop.
Every area is different on when or if you should have PT. I have never found PT post THR helpful. They have a "set" of exercises - some that do not pertain to hips at all. Give it a try but do not let anyone push you or tell you to "work through" any pain. PT should never hurt.
 
@Jaycey - thank you for responding. I hope hope hope you are right and i won't need to take Percocet and Oxy for a long time. My OS made it clear that he doesn't want me in pain so gave me a script for150 Percocet and 30 Oxy - holy cow that is alot. I know I probably won't need them all and he's being safe but that is alot of meds. Also, I'm having a mini-posterior approach and my research shows that in general that approach involves more pain postoperatively, so I'm a bit concerned that I will need to take the Percocet for several weeks. He also gave me a rx for Celebrex and said I can move to that when I'm ready post op. As far as today, the Percocets made me feel so bad at work, that I've returned to my 8 Aleve per day, but I'm gonna have to stop those next week and tough it out until the big day :)
 
I'm having a mini-posterior approach and my research shows that in general that approach involves more pain postoperatively, so I'm a bit concerned that I will need to take the Percocet for several weeks.
I had mini-posterior approach on my LTHR and lateral on my RTHR. Didn't need many meds at all post op. Your priority while in hospital is to get that pain management cocktail just right before you leave. Work with staff to do this. They don't want you hurting either.

Then remember to follow the BoneSmart mantras when you get home. Ice and elevate as much as you can. Ice is a natural pain killer and it really does work!
 
@ Jaycey - your experience with posterior approach does ease my mind - thank you!! I've had alot of folks tell me, my mother or sister had a THR and was walking "in no time" and had no post op restrictions or precautions, only to find out it was an anterior approach. You are one of the few I've spoken with who has been through a posterior approach.

I am fully stocked on ice packs - 8 total to rotate through. In fact, I've been using them at night to help with pain, bonus: they feel heavenly on the face when hot flashes hit:)
 
The restrictions were not really that bad. I am a side sleeper, so sleeping on my back took some getting used to.
 
Just want to add a few words of encouragement in addition to those you've already received, @jaymo! So many reminded me on the pre-op forum that this place where you now find yourself is the worst part of the journey! Waiting and wondering, anticipating possible problems and challenges, it's all part of this oh-so-hard time of counting the days till surgery. Reminding me that the horrendous joint paint will be gone - and sure, there'll be surgical discomfort - but it's completely different! You'll be shocked to walk and realize you're not limping or cringing with joint pain!!! I told my OS yesterday, "THANK YOU for giving me back my life!!!!"

I am 6 weeks post-op from a posterior/lateral.... and you're right - anyone who's had anterior approach will have a different story to tell in the first weeks of recovery. Your dr is obviously concerned about your pain level, both pre and post op, and you'll get the right combination once you've had your surgery! Just deal with one day at a time! And when it's time to manage the post-op discomfort, they'll help you get it right!

My particular hospital send PT to the house for 2 weeks post-op, and frankly, when you hear the words PHYSICAL THERAPY, it's easy to think of people pushing you to do what you don't feel up to managing! I can only share my experience - hopefully it will help. PT showed up just a few days after surgery - I was apprehensive, and I shouldn't have been! She knew how freshly post-op I was, and my first "exercises" consisted of working on getting in and out of bed, and then while in bed, ankle pumps, squeezing and holding buttocks, then quads, for a few seconds. I was never challenged, never asked to do a single thing that hurt or stressed me out, and I was thankful for their constant encouragement as I continued to progress and feel better.

Secondly, I just want to add a word about PT in general. Many on this forum have done fabulously without it, which is wonderful! However, my OS and hospital have a protocol of sending hip and knee replacement patients to a gym connected to the hospital when they feel up to getting in a car and going. I waited 5 weeks post-op. The therapists there deal only with hip and knee patients, and they know their stuff. Never have I felt anything remotely painful, stressful or worrisome - as a matter of fact, the exact opposite! It felt SO wonderful to have my body stretched out after being crumpled in pain for over the past 9 months - it was invigorating!!!! Gently easing and coaxing the weakened muscles (both from the rigors of surgery as well as the lack of using them in the months of compensating and limping) back into doing what they were created to do, I can only tell you that it has felt absolutely wonderful. Again, I realize that's not been everyone's experience, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in!

Cheering you on from the sidelines as a fellow posterior approach "hippie," I can only tell you that now, at 6 weeks, I am feeling so good! One of my sons said, "Mom! Your face is different!" We realized it was because I was no longer wincing with each step!!!! Granted, I still have lots of healing to do, but I can WALK!!!! (And those of us who've been deprived of that privilege for any length of time know just what a miracle that is, in and of itself!!!!!)
You are going to be fine.... and we're all here when you hit the inevitable bumps in the road! They're only temporary, and you'll soon be well on your way to getting your life back, too! xoxoxox
:flwrysmile:
 
@DizzyBlond- Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and sharing your experience with me. You have no idea how much I needed to hear your positive story-I was working myself into a frenzy over the pain and recovery from posterior approach. While I understand each persons recovery is unique , I'm encouraged and happy for you to know at 6 weeks out that you can walk without pain and without wincing! It really is incredible what this surgery can do and how it can give us our lives back.

It's interesting what your son said about your facial expression. I try to temper my pain reactions as much as I can, especially at work. When I told my boss and coworkers, some of whom I've known for 10 years that I was finally having a THR, many of them expressed happiness for me because they could tell by the look on my face for the last year that I have been in a lot of pain. Of course the now constant limp is a dead giveaway. My daughter who knows me so well doesn't even need to ask- she knows when I'm having a "bad pain day". I can't wait to be able to walk without pain and limping. And best of all, get down on the floor and play with my grandson and be able to get back up without assistance.

Your PT experience sounds wonderful and Im hoping for something similar. Luckily I'm going to the same PT clinic I went to 2 years ago back when they thought my leg pain was caused by my back( that's a long story for a different day). My experience then was positive in the sense that they didn't push me too hard. It was painful though. At the end of each session they had wonderful ice baths or heat on an inverting table that really soothed sore muscles. They've scheduled me with the same PT therapist that I had before so at least we already know each other. I do feel like I will be more protective of my new hip during this PT. once that baby gets in I'm going to want to wrap myself in bubble wrap!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences - it really made a difference for me tonight and I wanted you to know that. You have really eased my mind. I'm excited to hear how well you are doing at just 6 weeks and look forward to following the rest of your recovery.

I'm feeling grateful to all of you on this forum. You're caring compassionate, willing to share, and the best cheerleaders a girl could ask for!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're SO welcome, @jaymo!!!! As the questions and concerns come up (and they will), please feel free to ask away! I know I was so paranoid about hip dislocation precautions - but they're not bad! I'm still on them to a certain degree. I had my 6 week post op with my OS yesterday, and though he said I could now sleep, sit, take the toilet seat riser off, and only do what I felt my body was comfortable with, etc., he reminded me that this joint doesn't fully settle in for about a year... and that I would have to keep in mind for the rest of my life that I need to be careful - NOT PARANOID - just careful! It's such a small price to pay to be able to walk, enjoy life (and get down and play with the grandkids!)!!!! Don't be afraid of that!!!!!

You do need to know, as I'm sure you already do, that it won't be fun for those first few weeks. (I had never had a surgery in my life, so I had no idea what to expect!) I struggled with the miserable side effects of the pain meds - (Load that kitchen pantry up with prunes, high fiber cereal, and anything other high fiber foods you can think of, and if necessary, a bottle of Milk of Magnesia! The mild stool softener they sent me home with was of absolutely NO help!!! :flabber:) I'm guessing you've already begun to accumulate the "hip helpers" you'll be needing, right? And when it comes to wanting to shave your legs, I borrowed someone's suggestion to simply duct tape a disposable razor onto the end of the dressing stick that came in my hip kit. (I never used it for dressing, but it was wonderful as a "razor extender!")

Fear is a normal, natural response to a big surgery - I just want you to know that yes, there IS life - WONDERFUL life - on the other side of what is so overwhelmingly big and difficult right now!!!!! I'll be keeping you in my prayers!!!! xoxox

P.S. By the way, if you don't follow me, but want to really know how well I'm doing, you might want to look in the recovery forum - I posted about the amazing day I had yesterday! :-) I was loving life, loving my new hip, and walking with NO PAIN!!!!!! Today has been every bit as good, but I walked more yesterday than I have since last December! It feels amazing!!! And it's YOUR future, as well!!!! xoxox
:yes!:
 
@Dizzy Blond - what exciting and positive news on your journey- thank you for the encouragement ! Gonna keep my eyes on the prize and look forward to the future.

I anticipate having some side effects of the pain killers- I've already experienced it to a small degree this week as I've had to start taking Percocet daily for the pain. After the third day I increased my magnesium supplement and that helped a lot. I will be getting a big bottle of Milk of Mag to be prepared.

And a big thank you on your shaving tip!!!! I was determined to find a way to shave I can't stand stubble and just feel yuk when I the legs get furry so I'm gonna do the duct tape on the dressing stick for sure! Once I get the first shower shampoo and shaved legs I will feel somewhat normal and human again[emoji12]

I will be following you over on the recovery forum and wish you continued healing and strength as your recovery progresses.

13 days and counting - woo hoo!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's interesting what your son said about your facial expression. I try to temper my pain reactions as much as I can, especially at work.
I've been back at work three weeks and all my colleagues have been rushing up to tell me how well I look compared to before - I thought I'd been hiding it quite well but obviously not!

I had the posterior approach and I don't honestly know why there's such a fuss about the different methods. With my right hip, the precautions I was given just felt like a formal statement of what my body would let me do anyway. With the left, I had to pay more attention because I recovered more quickly and would find myself happily bending down without thinking. I'm happy to answer questions if you have any!
 
@jaymo - I had my legs waxed a week preOp (and am booked to do the same again for the next one) it tended to slow down the growth. But Dizzy's suggestion is an inspiration! Actually I had hair highlights done a couple of days before too, as I didn't fancy a trip in the car for a few weeks. The more human we girls feel the better. And yes, that first shower and shampoo is heaven. We're both counting down the days together now. You may like to check my recovery thread (below) which will give you a flavour of what you may expect and how much easier it was than I anticipated AND the pain goes.
 
@Zelda - thank you for chiming in with your experience with details about your posterior approach - big help. How long were you on precautions? My OS is saying 90 days. I'm sure I will get the hang of it, but I am a bit paranoid about accidentally violating them, especially after 8 weeks when I expect to be feeling well and moving around easily. I'm going to have to leave notes around my house and office to remind me!

@ MissMuffett - I have read (and thoroughly ) enjoyed your first few days of our post op thread. Full of great information and humerous too. I find a sense of humor can help with all of this. I contemplated getting legs waxed but can't tolerate letting my hair grow long enough to have it done. So it will be disposal razor and duct tape for me! Hair color is done, but need to get a cut before the big day for sure!

Thanks to all for chiming in and providing so many tips and helpful info - I am so grateful for this community.
 
Six weeks. I was just told not to bend down past 90 degrees, not to twist on the operated leg and not to cross the operated leg over my midline. I'm sure I broke them occasionally in the later stages - it's about reducing risk not making you too paranoid to move! Make sure you have a long shoehorn and a grabber and keep both to hand and by the time you feel well enough to break restrictions, you'll probably be so used to using them it will be hard to adjust back!
 
Agree with @Zelda - I was posterior too and given the same instructions - the fact that your leg is a bit wooden and swollen is a reminder, so you're less likely to forget! You'll get plenty of advice in hospital by the Physios about how to do things but I'd suggest you start practising getting out of your chair and in/out of bed following the instructions on BS. It will soon become a habit.

Tummywise, yes - prunes, (warmed) prune juice and keep up fruit, veg and fibre generally as well as keeping hydrated. In hospital my bowels went on holiday. Probably a reaction to the surgery and meds, and being dehydrated. You may find that once you hit home things settle. I continued with the stool softeners they prescribed until I found some sort of normality.

Your boyfriend wants you to go on a trip 4 hours way at your 3 week postop mark. Hmm. well I would like to have attended a funeral of a very dear friend (3 hours away) at 4 weeks, and honestly couldn't face it. I didn't feel ghastly at all, just purely because sitting for that length of time would have found me as stiff as a board. People tend to assume that because you've been discharged from hospital you're all fit and healthy again. Truth is that you go home to recover. That means not just a getting a nice tidyily healed scar (mine is fading incredibly fast - have worn shorts and doesn't show. I reckon in a few months time it will be silver and barely indistinguishable) but being mindful that there's a lot more healing going on underneath that needs to be taken into account. It pays to allow the body adequate time to get on with that part while doing all you can to encourage it.


Best advice is don't fret. :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom