Hip Infection Anterior THR Recovery by KCDawg34

That's great that your hips feel so good. I'm always curious as to what caused the infection when people post about it here. Like everyone else, I'm hoping the antibiotics do the trick for you. It's good that you went in right away and didn't wait.

I also found it interesting about your thigh muscles. When I was reading about the pain you were experiencing, that really concerned me. It sound like they have to do a lot of manipulation to do this surgery.
 
@KCDawg34 I also had 'start up' thigh pain for both thrs that simply disappeared one day a few mos out. I was getting annoyed with it all and wondered about stem loosening but it was ok.

@Hip Hip Hooray! agree, our legs underwent a lot of manipulation during surgery plus tapping in the stem and acetabular cup reverberates throughout the body. While being strapped onto the hana table I voiced my concerns about my stiff arthritic legs as I had no ROM left, think I was given some muscle relaxer meds. I had severe front thigh stiffness pain post op and a nurse said it was likely from the forced hana table manipulations.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the antibiotic is having a positive effect thus far. The infection site is still well within the line the dermatologist drew around it. In fact, I'm almost positive it hasn't grown at all. I got up yesterday morning and the site was noticeably less red than it was initially. I checked it again after work and it had improved a bit more. This morning some of the swelling had gone down which is yet another positive (knock on wood for this whole frickin' paragraph, lol).

My doctor has scheduled a CT scan on Wednesday morning to really check everything out. He said they would be looking specifically for fluid, and would aspirate, if necessary, to get it out. I am very hopeful that aspiration isn't necessary, but will obviously do whatever to make this right asap.

On the walking part of hip recovery, I was out yesterday and actually left my cane and didn't notice until I got back to work (third time I've done it in the past two weeks). It's a long haul from the parking lot and actually into the building, but I was able to navigatee both coming and going with no issues. I was very cognizant of my gait and was able to walk "normally." Of course, I was a bit sore last night, but that seems to have dissipated with rest.

Thanks for all the positive affirmation and good thoughts you've sent my way. It's very much appreciated.
 
I also found it interesting about your thigh muscles. When I was reading about the pain you were experiencing, that really concerned me. It sound like they have to do a lot of manipulation to do this surgery.
Hip Hip Hooray, I am actually a pretty big guy (slightly over six foot one). Less than three years ago I was running 3 miles a day 5 days a week and was in pretty good shape. After my second surgery, my surgeon told me he was exhausted working on me as my legs were so long it made it more difficult to manipulate and my thigh muscles were the biggest he had every worked on, which forced him to move them in ways he wouldn't have to normally. He told me then I would have some thigh pain, though I never imagined it would be as intense as it was.
 
Yes, I remember being surprised that it was my thighs that were really tender after the surgery, not the hips. I can imagine it was much worse if you are so tall and muscular. It must be hard for the surgeon. They are really muscular, if you look at their arms. My PT said that they have to be in excellent shape to do this surgery, and that the guys that worked on me go to the gym.
 
@KCDawg34 I also had 'start up' thigh pain for both thrs that simply disappeared one day a few mos out. I was getting annoyed with it all and wondered about stem loosening but it was ok.

@Hip Hip Hooray! agree, our legs underwent a lot of manipulation during surgery plus tapping in the stem and acetabular cup reverberates throughout the body. While being strapped onto the hana table I voiced my concerns about my stiff arthritic legs as I had no ROM left, think I was given some muscle relaxer meds. I had severe front thigh stiffness pain post op and a nurse said it was likely from the forced hana table manipulations.

Wow, you were awake when they strapped you to the table? I was out immediately. I think all of that hammering and drilling really does a number on you, too.
 
I finally heard from my doctor's office today and it was worth the wait. The CT scan showed no further infection, meaning that the antibiotics had done their job. My blood tests also all came back all in the normal ranges. They are extending the antibiotics for another week, but don't think anything else that needs to be done, barring another occurance.

On another front, I actually felt so good this morning that I forgot my cane and spent the entire work day without assistance. There were a few pains here and there, but overall it was better than i could have hoped. I am feeling a bit sore right now, but I have the weekend to recover. I doubt i will be able to turn the cane into kindling just yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

The journey's not over yet, but I finally think i can see where I'm going. Thanks to everyone in te BoneSmart community for their thoughts and well wishes.
 
So so glad infection gone. I spent 15 minutes walking around looking for my cane at work the other day!
Constantly leaving it somewhere.
I feel like I'm about ready to give mine up too but if I'm sitting for a period of time the first five steps are a little jerky.
 
@KCDawg34 fantastic news - you must be so relieved!! Believe your quick action made a positive impact here.
 
@KCDawg34, that's great news! And I am constantly forgetting my cane [emoji6] I suspect I'm going to go through some days of utter confusion in the next few weeks, as my other hip is going to be replaced on Tuesday and then I'm going to have to think before going upstairs, which side the cane will go on, etc!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @susan12369

I had exactly the same problem .... I had my right THR in May 2016 and my left THR last month

While I was in hospital this time, for the first 24 hours, every time the physio referred to my "operated" leg, I used my "good" - ie right leg

She thought it was the meds - it wasn't. It was just me coming to terms with my second new hip!

Peter
 
@KCDawg34, that's great news! And I am constantly forgetting my cane [emoji6] I suspect I'm going to go through some days of utter confusion in the next few weeks, as my other hip is going to be replaced on Tuesday and then I'm going to have to think before going upstairs, which side the cane will go on, etc!
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Thanks, Susan. That second hip can cause some confusion, especially when the first one is still weak.

On the positive side, I've been off the cane completely now for four days. The hips seem to be getting stronger and my left IT Band - which was causing so many of my problems - is finally starting to loosen up. I'm very careful about my gait, but it seems to be going well so far.

Good luck with your surgery!
 
@Cabolover Again please check the dates of posts! KCDawg34 has not been back to BoneSmart in nearly 3 years. You will get better response by starting your own thread in the Hip Pre-op section.
 
Back
Top Bottom